Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-08-2019, 09:19 PM   #1
pbishop

Default Werner - ask away

Ask ALL the questions you need to to get the job done right! That is the whole purpose of this forum - so we can help each other out as much as possible. Love the international comradery that has developed over the years.

I remember the days when I had to exclusively rely on my 'Schild' Restorer's Shop Manual and then look through old editions of 'The Restorer' and 'Model A News' to find extended information (many times the articles came with wonderful illustrations/pictures). My old friend George Medich (bought his Model A 'brand new' in 1931) gave me two binders full of the above mentioned mags dating back to 1970. It was like handing me GOLD. I still treasure those volumes today.
pbishop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2019, 09:30 PM   #2
[email protected]

Default Re: Werner - ask away

How do you make a front FRAME SPREADER as I am taking my engine out for overhaul.
n65ws@att.net is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2019, 09:38 PM   #3
History

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
How do you make a front FRAME SPREADER as I am taking my engine out for overhaul.
I wonder if a "load-lock for a small pick up would work? It's a telescoping two piece rod that has a ratchet type action to spread the rod. I can spread the bedside on a Toyota Tacoma pickup if I'm not careful. They're reasonably priced and can be used to secure loads from rolling around in the bed of your truck after you spread the frame.
History is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2019, 10:33 PM   #4
CarlG

Check the Snyder’s catalog.
Model A Restorers Club
Antique Automobile Club of America
Mullins Owner's Club
CarlG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 03:03 AM   #5
mike657894

Quote:

are you sure you need one? I didn't just took a little wiggle and it came forward.
mike657894 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 06:43 AM   #6
Werner

Hallo Pbishop
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbishop View Post
Ask ALL the questions you need to to get the job done right! That is the whole purpose of this forum - so we can help each other out as much as possible. Love the international comradery that has developed over the years.
I remember the days when I had to exclusively rely on my 'Schild' Restorer's Shop Manual and then look through old editions of 'The Restorer' and 'Model A News' to find extended information (many times the articles came with wonderful illustrations/pictures). My old friend George Medich (bought his Model A 'brand new' in 1931) gave me two binders full of the above mentioned mags dating back to 1970. It was like handing me GOLD. I still treasure those volumes today.
Hello and good day all together. Of course you are right. I also have a lot of books for the A now and they are also helpful. But it is very difficult for me to read the whole thing exactly.

As an example I have misread that when both timing gears are in line, the steering angles are always correct. Since I knew it so far only differently, namely that "in line" always overlap the valves, (Teeth in line = Piston on TDC). Therefore I was very unsettled. I removed the camshaft wheel four times, although it was always right! Now I know it - because at this forum - (thank you Bob C.) better!

But for me as a "German Greenhorn" it's not easy to ask too many questions, because I'm supposed to use the books too. I am only a distant guest in this US-forum.

Germans are not always popular because of their past. That's what someone has done here in the forum.

But I am here in Germany a "lone fighter". In my environment, I know only 2 Model A. Both are no longer driven and overslept their car life under cotton covers. I can not ask anyone. There is an A-Forum here; they have been only 5 questions in the last 2 years!

That's why I find the Ford Barn Forum extremely helpful!

Many Thanks for the nice words.

Ford Model A, Roadster, 1928
Citroen 11 CV, 1947
Hercules W 2000, 1976; (with NSU-Wankel Rotary Engine), Canadian version
Werner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 08:35 AM   #7
DD931

Werner - You are very welcome here on the FordBarn!!!!
DD931 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 09:21 AM   #8
Steve Plucker
BANNED

Werner,

I have distant cousins in Koln across the Rhine in Bergish-Gladbach.

You are most welcome here to join in on all the fun, questions and answers.

Pluck
Steve Plucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 09:27 AM   #9
Joop

N65ws

If you post the place you live maybe someone in your area can loan you one!
Joop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 10:45 AM   #10
rotorwrench

My Pop was involved in world war II and was only a 2nd generation of German ancestry on both paternal and maternal sides. He did his duty in being a crew member of a B-17 dropping their loads on the Fatherland but he always felt uneasy about the collateral damages. He went back to Germany in the 1980s & 1990s to re-establish connections with cousins of both sides of the family. Some family members in Germany came over here to the US to visit as well. It did a lot to help him deal with any percieved guilt in his action during the war and it also enlightened him on how far the relatives had come since the war. A good healing experience I'm sure.

I can't speak for every one by any stretch of the imagination but I feel the tensions between the peoples of both countries are pretty much gone now. Especially with the new generations not even knowing much of the history of the early to mid 20th century. As far as this Ford Barn forum is concerned, it gives us a connection with Europe and the rest of the world for better understanding of all the things manufactured by the various Ford agencies including Koln and others around the world.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 11:14 AM   #11
30 Closed Cab PU

So much I want to say, but not A related.

Werner - I may not always agree. I always read your posts with interest since they are well thought out, wish I was 1/4 the mechanic you are. Welcome.
30 Closed Cab PU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 04:07 PM   #12
Dennis Pereira

Quote:
I don't think you will need a spreader on the way out . But might be handy on the way back in .
Old 11-09-2019, 07:59 PM   #13
Brad in Germany

Quote:
Originally Posted by Werner View Post
But I am here in Germany a "lone fighter". In my environment, I know only 2 Model A. Both are no longer driven and overslept their car life under cotton covers. I can not ask anyone. There is an A-Forum here; they have been only 5 questions in the last 2 years!

That's why I find the Ford Barn Forum extremely helpful!

Many Thanks for the nice words.
Hallo Werner,

You are not alone and there is a very active Model A group over near Köln (about a 40 minute drive down Autobahn 4, from you) who go on tours and participate in local shows and support local events, etc. Many of their group have lots of experiences and are technically proficient in diagnosing and fixing most Model A issues....and have access to many Model A specific tools, etc.

Speaking of "helping out", I'll be visiting with one of them next week and have hauled an entire 69 pound suitcase full of Model A parts to Germany for him! ....just trying to help a fellow Model A'er out....

Here are some photos from one of their recent tours:

So you are not alone; just reach out to this forum and you will find that someone, somewhere in the world will have the answer to your Model A question or will help you solve your most challenging Model A predicament.

mit Ford A Grüße aus Frankreich (im Moment),
Brad now in France
Brad in Germany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 08:44 PM   #14
Bill G

Werner: I have followed your posts and I learn a great deal from the answers you get. Perhaps because things get "lost in the translation", you ask questions on topics that might not be written crystal clear and so you asking for clarification helps all of us gain better understanding. Your English skills are extremely good. My German..... Not so much.
Bill G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2019, 01:18 AM   #15
pbishop

In this forum, there is 'NO PAST' beyond that which concerns your/our love of the Ford Model 'A'. The 'ONLY' history you/we are concerned with is that which deals with this car!

ALWAYS ask as many questions as YOU need until you receive the answers you need.

Werner, you are just another Model A owner with questions and concerns. We 'ALL' find ourselves in the same situation of having to need help and information.
pbishop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2019, 12:25 PM   #16
Jim Brierley

I served in Nurnberg in '61 & '62, and found the German people to be friendly, polite and willing to talk with me, and my German was somewhere between very bad and terrible. You are as welcome here on this Board as anyone!
Jim Brierley is offline   Reply With Quote