Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-18-2015, 12:53 PM   #1
farmboy

Default 36' ford truck windshield

I'm getting ready to remove the windshield and frame so I can get things cleaned and and sanded plus to install new glass. From earlier searches it looks like I need to remove this top piece from inside the KM I have all the screws taken out that I can see but it still won't come out what am I missing? Thanks again Bret.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (50.2 KB, 34 views)
farmboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2015, 03:41 PM   #2
Lawson Cox

Default Re: 36' ford truck windshield

Not sure what you mean by the KM, but if I understand you, you are talking about the header panel. It does not come out.

You need only remove the windshield frame itself. To do this, you have to remove the hinges and the w/s opening mechanism.

It is better to be seen, than viewed.

"We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm".
Lawson Cox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2015, 05:13 PM   #3
farmboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawson Cox View Post
Not sure what you mean by the KM, but if I understand you, you are talking about the header panel. It does not come out.

You need only remove the windshield frame itself. To do this, you have to remove the hinges and the w/s opening mechanism.
Yeah that was suppose to be cab not km. Yeah I can see that top appears to be welded in the corners. So if I fold it out I can probably see the hinges? That makes sense. The regulator seems to not work so I'll try to detach it. Thanks.
Old 11-18-2015, 05:32 PM   #4
Jeff/Illinois

farmboy all you need to do is remove the two panels on the header that will let you get to the top hinges. Soak everything with a good rust buster (SeaFoam Super Creep, Kroil, PB Blaster, WD-40, Liquid Wrench) whatever you have handy. I wouldn't put any heat to it just keep soaking, trying to undo- soaking. working the hardware, soaking you will eventually get it free. Took a W/S out of our '37 pickup years ago and that's how I got it. If I recall I also took out the dash piece under the windshield to get to the crank out mechanism better.

Just be patient.
Jeff/Illinois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2015, 09:37 PM   #5
farmboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff/Illinois View Post
farmboy all you need to do is remove the two panels on the header that will let you get to the top hinges. Soak everything with a good rust buster (SeaFoam Super Creep, Kroil, PB Blaster, WD-40, Liquid Wrench) whatever you have handy. I wouldn't put any heat to it just keep soaking, trying to undo- soaking. working the hardware, soaking you will eventually get it free. Took a W/S out of our '37 pickup years ago and that's how I got it. If I recall I also took out the dash piece under the windshield to get to the crank out mechanism better.

Just be patient.
Thanks, i'm cleaning it up now getting ready to sandblast and sand, that will take a while to get like I want. I see now what your talking about, thanks again!
Old 11-19-2015, 12:04 AM   #6
bbook

Jeff is right about removing the upper dash panel that the shaft of the crank handle runs through. It will likely have some rust out requiring repair on the bottom side.
bbook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2015, 07:26 AM   #7
JM 35 Sedan

Farmboy, check back on this thread or pm me before you buy and attempt to install a new rubber gasket in WS frame. I have some useful information on this part of the job I will share with you.

"Never give up on what you really want to do. The person with big dreams is more powerful than one with all the facts". Albert Einstein
JM 35 Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2015, 09:52 AM   #8
Jeff/Illinois

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbook View Post
Jeff is right about removing the upper dash panel that the shaft of the crank handle runs through. It will likely have some rust out requiring repair on the bottom side.
Yeah bbook and also seems like the crank arms were attached to the w/s by a couple of roll pins, (must have been worked on in later years?)so you COULD get the windshield assy. out without removing that dash piece but farmboy is going to want to take it all down anyway and clean up his windshield cramk, etc.

Thanks for the pics and updates this is a very interesting project keep us informed!!
Jeff/Illinois is offline   Reply With Quote