Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-30-2015, 09:45 PM   #21
FlatheadTed

Send a message via AIM to FlatheadTed
Default Re: Ideas for a spinning lug nut in a wire wheel

Just weld the back of the new stud Ted
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1010006_1303.jpg (70.3 KB, 61 views)

Flathead Ted brake Floaters ,
FlatheadTed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2015, 09:45 PM   #22
cmbrucew

Sounds like a job for the fire dragon. Heat that acorn red hot, and blow it out.
Bruce
Old 08-31-2015, 07:42 AM   #23
Mike51Merc

2X for the Dremel, especially with the cable-driven "dentist drill" extension.
Mike51Merc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 08:25 AM   #24
SofaKing

You can use the 3" cut-off wheel you mentioned to grind a flat spot on the end of the acorn nut and center punch it so the drill doesn't walk around. Then do what Mart suggested and drill it starting with maybe a 1/8". Try and hold the nut flats with a wrench because as the drills get larger, they are more likely grab and spin the stud introducing mayhem and cursing.

The other ideas will work too but the nice thing about using a drill as opposed to the other methods is it is precise and less likely to cause collateral damage, in my experience.
SofaKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 10:02 AM   #25
rotorwrench

I have a long nose pneumatic die grinder that might work to cut a lug off without cutting a spoke but a person would have to use one with a small diameter cutting wheel. I also have a very handy hand operated pneumatic belt grinder with 3/4" sanding belts that would slowly grind away the lug using fast cut belts. The choices you have are limited. You might try to set up a large wheel puller that works off three lugs to pull the wheel from the axle as a unit. If it is stuck on there too well then that might be a tough job. The smoke wrench will likely ruin the paint but it is a last resort when all else fails. There are some heat absorbing putties that could be packed around it to protect as much as possible.

FoMoCo swaged the lug studs on early Fords for a good reason to prevent this type of thing from happening but folks who install replacements don't always have to tools to do a proper job.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 11:12 AM   #26
Mike51Merc

I bought a car that came with locking lug nuts and no key. I put a slice on the front of the nut (the acorn head) with a small dremel cut-off wheel and then took a chisel to the slice to split the nut in half.
Old 08-31-2015, 11:13 AM   #27
Russ/40

Smile Re: Ideas for a spinning lug nut in a wire wheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl Wolf View Post
I have split nuts a few times by drilling a hole parallel to the bolt, that is, through the nut along the side of the bolt. Center punch to be at the center of the nut wall. Use maybe a 1/8" inch bit... New bit, good brand. Take your time and drill almost to the wheel. Use a tapered punch that will just start in the hole, and a hammer. You will have drilled away most of the side of the nut, and it should break fairly easy...

Karl
Now that is clever! ill remember that one. Splitting it is the most promising approach, and with the direction of force, you wont hurt anything.
Russ/40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 11:29 AM   #28
40 Deluxe

Follow the old doctor's oath: "First, do no harm!" One slip of the grinder and there goes a spoke! Then there's Murphy's Law, subsection A: "If anything can go wrong, it will." I think the idea of loosening the axle nut is the next step. First, loosen the nut, get a can of 134A refrigerant, and douse the hub, getting it good and cold. Let the temperatures come back to normal and go for a drive. Tell the owner you're not going 70 MPH on the freeway, just zig-zagging down the street at 5-10 MPH. When/if it pops loose, gently snug up the nut and head home. No harm done! Lots easier to fight it on the bench anyway!
40 Deluxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 09:40 PM   #29
Chuck Sea/Tac

Quote:
Originally Posted by 40 Deluxe View Post
Follow the old doctor's oath: "First, do no harm!" One slip of the grinder and there goes a spoke! Then there's Murphy's Law, subsection A: "If anything can go wrong, it will." I think the idea of loosening the axle nut is the next step. First, loosen the nut, get a can of 134A refrigerant, and douse the hub, getting it good and cold. Let the temperatures come back to normal and go for a drive. Tell the owner you're not going 70 MPH on the freeway, just zig-zagging down the street at 5-10 MPH. When/if it pops loose, gently snug up the nut and head home. No harm done! Lots easier to fight it on the bench anyway!
That's only a $10,000 fine!
Concerning removing the drum and wheel as one, if the hubcaps are repo's you're out ten or twelve bucks to go thru it. Plus shipping of course.
Chuck Sea/Tac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 12:14 AM   #30
40 Deluxe

OK, forget 134A. Use liquid propane. I believe it boils at about the same temperature. Just more hassle to rig a dispenser from a hand held torch (like Bernz-o-matic) plus do it out in the open with no flame nearby.
40 Deluxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 12:45 AM   #31
bobH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck Sea/Tac View Post
That's only a $10,000 fine!
Concerning removing the drum and wheel as one, if the hubcaps are repo's you're out ten or twelve bucks to go thru it. Plus shipping of course.
You gotta be kidding. We got police here? What's the 'infraction'? What's the fine for?
Curious minds are 'curious'.
bobH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 09:05 AM   #32
32phil

Dremel is the way to go on this one ...gonna need LOTSA little cut off wheels.....I double them up on tough stuff like this..... use masking tape to protect the paint and that stud will be history.
Old 09-01-2015, 09:32 AM   #33
V8COOPMAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobH View Post
You gotta be kidding. We got police here? What's the 'infraction'? What's the fine for?
Curious minds are 'curious'.
NON-BELIEVERS:
PAY ATTENTION!

Below is the punishment the EPA can fine you for releasing R134 (refrigerant) into the atmosphere
Penalty for Licensed AC tech releasing R134 into air:

"The fine for releasing refrigerant into the atmosphere can be a fine up to $27,500 per day per violation. The EPA can also award up to $10,000 to the person who notified them of the violation if the person releasing the refrigerant is convicted."

'35-'36 W/8BA & MECHANICAL FAN

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
V8COOPMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 09:53 AM   #34
Mike51Merc

Quote:
Originally Posted by V8COOPMAN View Post
NON-BELIEVERS:
PAY ATTENTION!

Below is the punishment the EPA can fine you for releasing R134 (refrigerant) into the atmosphere
Penalty for Licensed AC tech releasing R134 into air:

"The fine for releasing refrigerant into the atmosphere can be a fine up to $27,500 per day per violation. The EPA can also award up to $10,000 to the person who notified them of the violation if the person releasing the refrigerant is convicted."
Yeah, dude, read your own post and PAY ATTENTION. The penalty is exclusively for Licensed AC techs.
While that's not saying that releasing R134 is a brilliant thing to do, it is saying that internet hoaxes and misinformation run rampant and are creating a hole in our ozone layer.

Last edited by Mike51Merc; 09-01-2015 at 10:19 AM.
Old 09-01-2015, 10:17 AM   #35
V8COOPMAN

Among other things, I still hold that green license. Plus, I DID pay attention to what it said above. That being cleared-up, do YOU wanna chance lawyer'n-up and convincing the "nice, friendly and understanding" folks at the EPA and the DOJ that your little mistake doesn't count 'cuz you're just an old car guy and NOT a "licensed" pro? GO for it! DD

'35-'36 W/8BA & MECHANICAL FAN

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
V8COOPMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 10:43 AM   #36
Mike51Merc

Quote:
Originally Posted by V8COOPMAN View Post
Among other things, I still hold that green license. Plus, I DID pay attention to what it said above. That being cleared-up, do YOU wanna chance lawyer'n-up and convincing the "nice, friendly and understanding" folks at the EPA and the DOJ that your little mistake doesn't count 'cuz you're just an old car guy and NOT a "licensed" pro? GO for it! DD
Sir, I "lawyer-up" each day when I get out of bed. Unless/until you can show us the written law, rule, or regulation that imposes civil or criminal liability on an ordinary civilian for discharging R134a (which I have thus far been unable to find), I'm afraid I must maintain my position that you are mistaken.
Old 09-01-2015, 11:28 AM   #37
Mart

Ok, guys, this pissing contest is getting tiresome.

One thing I might try before getting too mediaevel on it would be to (if access could be got to do it) grind a slot in the end of the stud and try and hold the stud with a big screwdriver and crack the nut loose. When I say stud, I may Mean bolt. Not sure of the USA parlance.

Failing that I would proceed as mentioned, simply drilling it out until the nut falls off. You have the best access end on to the stud. It would have been off by now if it were in my garage.

You only need a way to do it that will work. It doesn't have to be the very best way, just one way that will get 'er done.

Mart.
Mart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 12:45 PM   #38
BrianCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike51Merc View Post
Sir, I "lawyer-up" each day when I get out of bed. Unless/until you can show us the written law, rule, or regulation that imposes civil or criminal liability on an ordinary civilian for discharging R134a (which I have thus far been unable to find), I'm afraid I must maintain my position that you are mistaken.
What about the 'law' known as the golden rule. I worked in the air quality field for 20 years and I hate to have some personal freedom fanatic poison us all.
Old 09-01-2015, 03:54 PM   #39
Mike51Merc

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianCT View Post
What about the 'law' known as the golden rule. I worked in the air quality field for 20 years and I hate to have some personal freedom fanatic poison us all.
I agree with you. What I don't agree with is misinformation.
Old 09-01-2015, 04:26 PM   #40
jimTN

Get a axle knocker nut and replace the castle nut. Then jack the oposite side of the rear end up and go back and whack that axle knocker, that will bring the hub loose.
jimTN is offline   Reply With Quote