Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Late V8 (1954+)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-23-2019, 09:05 PM   #21
NoahVail

Default Re: Roll and Transport - Car's 1st move in years

Quote:
Originally Posted by L5wolvesf View Post
Just a thought here . . . there are a lot of open trailers just sitting around most weekends. Many belong to racers. I have occasionally used mine to move someone's car/project. I would imagine Fla and the east coast aren't much different than here.
It's a good thought but I don't have a truck to pull it. If I rent one round trip I have to pay for miles in both directions (~2k miles total). UHaul gets you no matter what.
NoahVail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 12:58 AM   #22
trulyvintage

Question Re: Roll and Transport - Car's 1st move in years

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoahVail View Post
The question going forward is can I be a good steward to this Sunliner that I now own
That sounds like you have bought and paid for the car.

Jim
trulyvintage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 09:33 AM   #23
NoahVail

Quote:
Originally Posted by trulyvintage View Post
That sounds like you have bought and paid for the car.
Yeah. I didn't find out it was a convertible until after I paid. The family said I can unwind the deal if I want.
Old 04-24-2019, 01:08 PM   #24
bobss396

My '59 came from Denver to NY, got jerked around by falling for my quote being whored out to the transport world, some crooked shipper still has my $100 deposit. I found someone else who happened to be great. My car had no engine or transmission, no brakes. I almost flew out to get it myself. I was that aggravated.
bobss396 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 02:30 PM   #25
NoahVail

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobss396 View Post
My '59 came from Denver to NY, got jerked around by falling for my quote being whored out to the transport world, some crooked shipper still has my $100 deposit.
Dang. I'm sorry to hear about that.

Unfortunately, it's not the first story I've read this week that highlights the risk in commercial transport.
Old 04-24-2019, 05:04 PM   #26
d.

my advice is not to deal with a broker...EVER. Your car will be loaded and unloaded numerous times by whatever hauler the broker can get for cheap.
Tracking is a guessing game with everyone pointing fingers.
Deal direct with a known shipper who has references and the equipment and qualified drivers to get the job done, on time and insured.
The better direct shippers provide you with the drivers cell # and you can be in contact at any point.
Saving a few dollars shipping your car with a broker will come back to bite you in lost sleep, changing delivery dates and general lack of information as to where your car is and when it will arrive. You don't want to sign off on the delivery at 1 a.m.
there are many posts on this situation...check the archives.
d. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 06:41 AM   #27
Ford56

Another consideration as to where to locate a good local hauler, I've had success with contacting a local vintage car dealer who gets cars on consignment. He uses someone, and I've asked for a recommended hauler. The guy I've used has an enclosed trailer, and knows about "old" cars. Price was higher than the broker type haulers, but, worth it. The last "old" car I bought though was located in New Hampshire, and I'm in N. Carolina, so I had to rely on a New Hampshire recommendation. Although an open trailer, it arrived pretty much as expected. So, I guess the bottom line is see if you trust someone at either end to give you a good local recommendation.
Ford56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2019, 03:51 AM   #28
mercman from oz

Trusting people to move your car can have bad results. This happened to a friend of mine when he arranged for his "new" 1961 Ford Starliner to be moved north from Victoria. It was sent on an open car transporter. During the trip, it appears that someone opened the hood en-route to the new owner's home, and didn't close it properly. Once the Transporter reached the open road speed, the hood flew up and completely folded back resulting in a smashed windshield and buckled hood. As true 1961 Fords were never sold in Australia in any body style, finding replacement parts is difficult. He did manage to locate a hood off a 62 Ford, but the windshield is another thing altogether, as these windshields are unique to the 1960 and 1961 Ford Starliners, and the short lived 1960 Edsel hardtop. They are totally different from the windshields used on all other 1961 Fords.
mercman from oz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2019, 12:15 PM   #29
dmsfrr

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoahVail View Post
Oh boy. The owner just thought to mention it's a convertible. I literally had no idea.
Quote:
Originally Posted by trulyvintage View Post
Unless you want roll the dice - transport it in an enclosed trailer
direct from pickup to drop off.
Jim
Quote:
Originally Posted by mercman from oz View Post
Once the Transporter reached the open road speed, the hood flew up and completely folded back resulting in a smashed windshield and buckled hood. ...
I'll add another vote for an enclosed trailer. An acquaintance bought a rusty, no engine '57 Bird parts car, mostly for the nice porthole hardtop. During shipping the top blew off at approx 70 mph.

dmsfrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2019, 06:21 PM   #30
NoahVail

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercman from oz View Post
Once the Transporter reached the open road speed, the hood flew up and completely folded back resulting in a smashed windshield and buckled hood.
This story seems like a good opportunity to see how making a claim against the shipper's insurance worked out.
Old 04-26-2019, 06:38 PM   #31
NoahVail

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmsfrr View Post
I'll add another vote for an enclosed trailer.
I'm taking these concerns seriously and I've been getting quotes. Direct+enclosed is about double what I originally budgeted.

In shipping discussions, I've seen the phrase "save a few bucks" tossed around like there's a $3 difference between broker/direct or open/enclosed. To be sure, we've seen folks who'd make a squabble over 3 bucks. In our case, I'll have to spend the family's food and gas budget to upgrade the ride to enclosed.
Not that I'm ruling that out.

The orig owner is untarping the car this Sunday and sending me all-over pics. I'll have my first look at the Sunliner nekkid. I'll decide then.

Last edited by NoahVail; 04-27-2019 at 10:00 AM. Reason: seemed punchy
Old 05-01-2019, 07:58 PM   #32
NoahVail

After reading thru lots and lots of experience-driven advice, I've settled on enclosed transport (bc the soft top is shredded & bc it's a soft top) and am talking directly to a couple of reputable transporters. Hopefully we'll be in route this weekend.

It took me a while to settle on a direct transporter (vs broker). The value was never in doubt. Frankly the price of auto shipping is very reasonable all around. It's just that before I could choose, I had to get educated.

I figured out that I could find local brokers and shippers by googling the safer.fmcsa.dot.gov site. They also have lic/ins reports. (I'm anal about research. Don't judge me.)
To get the skinny on a particular company I read their uShip feedback (especially cancellations) which was mostly chatter between brokers and shippers. I learned a lot from that.

tl;dr: I'll vouch there's lots of shade over the broker industry.

Even so, my personal take is that brokers have their place and I believe that reputable brokers exist. The challenge is that there's so much insider crap in the industry it's all but impossible for non-insiders to find good brokers.

Heck, it's not even straight forward to find reputable transporters.

Now I'm wondering if reviving the the transporter thread might be a good idea.
I saw the earlier one here (not that I could find it a 2nd time).
I think that idea could be improved on but I'm not sure how.

So anyway, I found a shipper.
and
I appreciate the valuable feedback you've all passed onto me.