Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-23-2020, 08:08 AM   #1
motordr

Default 1932 air filter

I’m looking for information on converting an original 1932 air filter to use a modern paper element. Any help appreciated, especially a number for a filter element that will fit either of the two styles of housings. Thanks, Ted
motordr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2020, 08:18 AM   #2
flatheadmurre

Default Re: 1932 air filter

K&N atleast used to have a selector where you punched in your measurements and got a suggestion for a filter...
And their filters are as good as it gets...
flatheadmurre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2020, 08:38 AM   #3
corvette8n

I did this to my '41, I gutted the inside(nothing was cut it all came apart by unbending some tabs) so I was left with a top cover and the bottom bowl so to speak. I then cut a piece of sheet metal to fit in the bottom with a hole in the middle. I went to my local NAPA and talked to the guy who knows flathead's and Ford 8N's, he took measurements and looked in a parts book. He then came out with a couple of filters and we tried them until we got one to fit. I have the empty filter package but it's in the trunk of my car in storage so I can't give you the number right now.
corvette8n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2020, 09:18 AM   #4
tubman

Quote:
Originally Posted by flatheadmurre View Post
K&N atleast used to have a selector where you punched in your measurements and got a suggestion for a filter...
And their filters are as good as it gets...
Perhaps too good. I bought a K&N replacement filter for the 327/350 in my Corvette. The engine developed an occasional "hiccup" going down the road. Put the stock filter back on; no "hiccup". Looked both filters over carefully to see if there might be some other factor causing this and couldn't find anything. Put the k&N back on - "hiccup", "hiccup".

I'm now running the stock filter. The only thing I can think of is that, because of it's superior filtration, total flow is reduced to the point of affecting engine performance.

My advice on this would be is to get the largest possible dry filter that you can cram into the original housing. We all know about those little "helmet" thingies being a problem.
tubman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2020, 12:40 PM   #5
estout81
BANNED

I made my own. Did away with the little "helmet thingies".
Attached Images
File Type: jpg S6300554.jpg (69.0 KB, 26 views)
File Type: jpg S6300556.jpg (72.9 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg S6300555.jpg (64.4 KB, 17 views)
estout81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2020, 02:28 PM   #6
Ronnieroadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubman View Post
Perhaps too good. I bought a K&N replacement filter for the 327/350 in my Corvette. The engine developed an occasional "hiccup" going down the road. Put the stock filter back on; no "hiccup". Looked both filters over carefully to see if there might be some other factor causing this and couldn't find anything. Put the k&N back on - "hiccup", "hiccup".

I'm now running the stock filter. The only thing I can think of is that, because of it's superior filtration, total flow is reduced to the point of affecting engine performance.

My advice on this would be is to get the largest possible dry filter that you can cram into the original housing. We all know about those little "helmet" thingies being a problem.
Tubman i bet the K&N filter was not restricting the air flow but actually giving the engine more air. More air would then crate a lean situation thus causing the hiccup which was a symptom of a lean backfire in the intake manifold.
Ronnieroadster
First ever gas burning Ford flathead powered roadster to run 200 MPH at Bonneville Salt Flats setting the record August 7th 2021 at 205.744 MPH
Ronnieroadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2020, 02:37 PM   #7
tubman

Nope. No "hiccup" when I ran it with no air filter at all.

I spent a lot of time chasing this, as I had a hard time believing that it was the air filter element causing the problem. I finally got sick and tired of getting nowhere, put the K&N back in the box, installed the stock element, and drove the car.

I will admit I am a bit uncomfortable with the way this ended up, but the problem was solved and I had other fish to fry.
tubman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2020, 03:24 PM   #8
estout81
BANNED

Ronnieroadster I think you hit the nail on the head. My truck is running lean after I replaced the little helmet air cleaners with my homemade air cleaner.
Old 03-23-2020, 04:25 PM   #9
Ronnieroadster

Quote:

I spent a lot of time chasing this, as I had a hard time believing that it was the air filter element causing the problem. I finally got sick and tired of getting nowhere, put the K&N back in the box, installed the stock element, and drove the car.

I will admit I am a bit uncomfortable with the way this ended up, but the problem was solved and I had other fish to fry.

Certainly unusual for sure but wonder why?
First ever gas burning Ford flathead powered roadster to run 200 MPH at Bonneville Salt Flats setting the record August 7th 2021 at 205.744 MPH
Ronnieroadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2020, 04:39 PM   #10
Dave Slater

Try WIX-46641 or NAPA 6641 dry air filters. Dave
Dave Slater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2020, 05:06 PM   #11
Kube

Quote:

Wow! Interesting indeed. I'd never had thought the filter would have caused the issue.
Old 03-23-2020, 05:41 PM   #12
estout81
BANNED

Read JWL's book about removing the choke butterfly and shaft on a Stromberg carburetor. Quite interesting!
Old 04-11-2020, 10:56 AM   #13
motordr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Slater View Post
Try WIX-46641 or NAPA 6641 dry air filters. Dave
Thanks Dave!
motordr is offline   Reply With Quote