Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-11-2017, 08:10 AM   #21
Jeff/Illinois

Default Re: Detail on how to make a repro ammeter look like an original Model A ammeter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRENT in 10-uh-C View Post
Very possibly. I was on a tour in Florida a month or so ago and spoke with a supplier that said he had one in the works. His fear was the price would be too great, but he said it would be the last one anyone would ever need to buy. My guess is it will be in the $75-100 range. To some that will likely be a value, ...and to most, probably not.
I'd spring for one if the quality was that good. A fire does a lot more damage than $75-$100. An ammeter in a Model A Ford is more than just a meter.
Jeff/Illinois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 09:18 AM   #22
Tom Wesenberg

Default Re: Detail on how to make a repro ammeter look like an original Model A ammeter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikeinnj View Post
Not seeing whare you solder the wires, too blurry in photo.
The rounded heads of the two studs can be soldered to the bus bar for a more positive connection. Of course they will need the black paint to be removed first, then bush them to bright brass, and solder them. Remove any flux, then paint them with flat black paint.

I've done this on some ammeter that I restored for a customer, just to be sure they didn't corrode later in use. I've seen where the insulating board was burned through due to heat created by a loose or corroded connection at these points. Most times I think the loose nuts holding the wire terminals on the rear is the main cause of problems.

I made some special tools to tighten the slotted nuts on original ammeters, but I sold them all a long time ago, and won't be making any more anytime soon.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 11:20 AM   #23
Jeff/Illinois

Tom are those slotted nuts similar to what Ford used on the early V-8's, to hold the condensor wire to the distributor? A knurled nut with a screwdriver slot and the post comes up high enough that you can't actually snug it down with a screwdriver?

I didn't want to booger up the one on our '36 pickup so I ground a little notch out of an old medium flat blade screwdriver to turn them down.
Jeff/Illinois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 12:23 PM   #24
Tom Wesenberg

I've done the same thing with an old screwdriver to make them fit the slots on slotted nuts.

The tools I made were made from a 3" long bolt of I think 3/8" diameter. I cut the threads off then drilled the center to clear the stud, then milled off the steel on each side to leave the metal to engage the slot. I then drilled the hex head for a 1/8" x 3" long piece of brass rod to use as a handle. I'll see if I can find a picture of it.
Old 05-12-2017, 11:23 PM   #25
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Wesenberg View Post
I've done the same thing with an old screwdriver to make them fit the slots on slotted nuts.

The tools I made were made from a 3" long bolt of I think 3/8" diameter. I cut the threads off then drilled the center to clear the stud, then milled off the steel on each side to leave the metal to engage the slot. I then drilled the hex head for a 1/8" x 3" long piece of brass rod to use as a handle. I'll see if I can find a picture of it.
https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showp...04&postcount=3
Old 05-13-2017, 08:44 AM   #26
Tom Wesenberg

Thanks Mike, you're the man, and much better on computers than I am.

Notice the ring magnet, and if you remove it, be sure it goes back exactly the same way it was installed, or you might wind up with a meter that reads backwards.