Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-23-2017, 07:19 AM   #1
smittykid

Question Head gasket question

The engine out of my 29 Tudor is out in Skokie, Il. for a short block rebuild. I bought a 5.5:1 high comp. head from Snyders with the B-6051-C Graphite head gasket. My Grandson is a tool and die maker and he has the head to check for surface flatness. I read somewhere ( I think it was here) that there is a right way and a wrong way to install the new head gasket. Something about dimples in the gasket being up or down. I tried doing a search but I couldn't find what I was looking for. Can anyone shed any light on the head gasket install? Thanks
smittykid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2017, 07:52 AM   #2
Tom F OHIO

Default Re: Head gasket question

Look at Bratton's site. You can bring up a close picture of the gasket and it shows which side goes up. Part # 8090
Tom F OHIO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2017, 10:50 AM   #3
Y-Blockhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by smittykid View Post
The engine out of my 29 Tudor is out in Skokie, Il. for a short block rebuild. I bought a 5.5:1 high comp. head from Snyders with the B-6051-C Graphite head gasket. My Grandson is a tool and die maker and he has the head to check for surface flatness. I read somewhere ( I think it was here) that there is a right way and a wrong way to install the new head gasket. Something about dimples in the gasket being up or down. I tried doing a search but I couldn't find what I was looking for. Can anyone shed any light on the head gasket install? Thanks
With the Best Gasket #573G Graphtite you want to install with the writing up. Ensure you re-torque after running and cool down a couple of times.

Last edited by Y-Blockhead; 08-23-2017 at 10:59 AM.
Y-Blockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2017, 11:43 AM   #4
H. L. Chauvin

Hi Smitty,

FWIW: For your topic: Head Gasket Questions?

"Dead Flat" is "always" the most important Model A Head Gasket "Miracle" Answer.

1. Achieving a Model A head's "dead flat" surface at the gasket area, (where the head contacts the head gasket), is only one half (1/2) of the solution to finally resolve the hundreds of thousands of Model A Forum problems reported over the years, (on all Model A Forums), on blown head gaskets, head gasket leaks, different head torque, different head re-torque, brands of head gaskets, head gasket sealers, and what ever.

2. The second one half (1/2) of all Model A head gasket problems in order to put all of the head gasket related myths to rest is to insure that the top of the block is "dead flat".

3. Head gaskets right-side-up, upside-down, head gasket sealer made by Indian Head Shellac or others, head gasket brands X,Y, and/or Z, and no matter "what", when "dead flat" is ignored and cheap, cheap, cheap, Model A owners approve of the typical "Good Enough" theory, just expect head gasket leaks.

4. Importance of "Dead Flat" has been ignored and forgotten by Model A owners for over (20) Model A Forum years, and problems with Model A head gaskets will probably continue for eternity.

5. Anyone reading this sincere reply will forget the importance of "Dead Flat"; but here is a rather humorous helpful tip that nobody should forget:

When installing a new Model A head gasket, if the head and block are not flat, chances of Model A head gasket later cure are about as equally effective as giving yourself an enema in winter time with Maxwell House Instant De-Cafe Coffee to fix your runny nose.

Last edited by H. L. Chauvin; 08-23-2017 at 12:38 PM. Reason: typo
H. L. Chauvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2017, 01:25 PM   #5
Flathead

I agree, if you don't have "Dead Flat" surfaces you are tossing a coin on getting good results. I would add that proper torque and subsequent re-torque is critical also.
Flathead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2017, 07:21 PM   #6
glenn in camino

I install mine with the embossed lettering up.
glenn in camino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2017, 07:32 PM   #7
tinkirk

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenn in camino View Post
I install mine with the embossed lettering up.
Always!!!!!!
tinkirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2017, 08:44 PM   #8
Smooth_One

Thanks for the advice! I might have to do mine soon as well.
Old 08-26-2017, 07:11 AM   #9
smittykid

Thanks to everyone!
smittykid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2017, 08:38 AM   #10
barkleydave

Just completed mine. Snyder 5.1 Head with proper gasket. Lettering up. (said this side up) We did two A's. After completing torqueing the head (takes a couple times)
I torqued to the specs that came with the gasket (55 lbs!)

Other A had an older HP head that had been shaved several times in the past.

Ok worth every penny... Check your head with a Block Tester NAPA # BK.700.1006. This test is super easy and is a fluid test. It tests for CO gas in your radiator. If fluid stays Blue you are good to go. If Green or Yellow FAIL. Possible causes: Leaking Head gasket, Warped head to block sealing surface, Cracked heads or block, Broken head studs or bolts.

Mine passed the other A Failed. We took the head off and sure enough leaking between #2 & #3 So back to the machine shop to double check his head and deck.

Great tool for a quick club workshop. We did several at our last club meeting. Those that we tested ALL passed which put smiles on their faces. Kit runs around $37 bucks and replacement fluid around $7 bucks at our local NAPA. Fluid will stay fresh for less than a year. Your can do approx. 16 tests with a full bottle. Combustion gases leaking into the water jacket can cause lots of problems, Overheating, coolant loss, loss of compression etc. Oh may truck performance improved with the new Head. A little more punch climbing hills in Kentucky/W VA and off to Blue Ridge Mt. in September
barkleydave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2017, 01:40 PM   #11
msmaron

Send a message via AIM to msmaron

Quote:
Originally Posted by smittykid View Post
If rich is doing your engine he will tell you exactly what to do and have the gasket you need...
National Facebook Admin.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/MARC.group/

A7191-Sport Coupe
29 Roadster
29-Town Sedan
29-Original Special Coupe
msmaron is offline   Reply With Quote