Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-26-2017, 04:34 PM   #1
JM 35 Sedan

Default Slightly O.T. - Looking for info on best car trailer winch to purchase

I would really appreciate some hands-on personal experience type information on car trailer winches. Looking to buy a quality winch at a reasonable price with an ~ 8-10k # capacity rating. I'm really not interested in getting some super cheap deal from Harbor Freight.
I would be using this on an open or closed car trailer, but would also like to mount it so that it could easily be transferred to a front or rear 2"x2" vehicle hitch reciever. Thanks in advance for any help on this.

"Never give up on what you really want to do. The person with big dreams is more powerful than one with all the facts". Albert Einstein
JM 35 Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2017, 04:50 PM   #2
awelker

Default Re: Slightly O.T. - Looking for info on best car trailer winch to purchase

I have a Superwinch S5500 (5500lb) on both my enclosed and open trailers and are very pleased with them. They also make a 7500lb version, but the 5500lb doesn't work very hard pulling my race car on.

I also got the synthetic rope on both of these hoping it would last longer with trips to Bonneville. Definitely not the cheapest winch but seems pretty well built compared to other models I have seen.

www.vonwelker.com

https://www.flickr.com/photos/vonwelker/albums
Home of the Blonde Bitch Bellytank
awelker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2017, 04:56 PM   #3
Angledrive

Default Re: Slightly O.T. - Looking for info on best car trailer winch to purchase

John, I put a Harbor Freight 12,000 lb unit ($400.00) on my trailer and have had zero problems. Need to make sure cable winds back in with some tension. I am happy with it.
Tom
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20161113_133816_resized.jpg (67.3 KB, 98 views)
Angledrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2017, 04:59 PM   #4
rotorwrench

Warn Makes a decent one that was available through Summit Racing the last time I looked. You have to do some looking to find the Warn mount though since they don't come with one. Warn makes one that fits a flat deck trailer and they may also make one that fits a hitch plate so that it can be removed more easily. Most of them are made to fit a bumper so it takes a while to find the info on them.

I have a harbor freight one that came on my roll back trailer but the previous owner twisted the frame work on it. It still works but it looks like hell. I don't think I will go that route when I get a new one.
rotorwrench is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2017, 05:04 PM   #5
Ron Pilger

I bought a 12,000 lb. Warn winch twenty years ago.. It was 10 years old then. A workhorse! It asks for nothing but gives plenty.
Ron Pilger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2017, 05:34 PM   #6
flatford8

You can use one like awelker said. You'll be pulling a free wheeling load. If you plan on going muddin'.... then you would need the 10-12k one..... Mark
Billy Joe Shaver
flatford8 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2017, 05:45 PM   #7
rotorwrench

A 8K winch is fine for loading cars. A larger one would be overkill & a bit more expense but will certainly do the job.
rotorwrench is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2017, 06:37 PM   #8
tubman

I hate to admit this, but I have a $59.95 2000 LB Harbor freight winch on mine. The heaviest car I have loaded was my '51 Ford (or my 67 Corvette; I don't off-hand know which is heavier). I had no problem with it. It also comes with a remote control, which is real handy. I figure that in the unlikely situation I want to load something heavier, I can buy a pulley with a hook and double the pull. I have had this one on my trailer for over 10 years with no problems. In addition, this worked so well that I bought an identical unit for my boat lift. It's been on there out in the weather for at least 6 years, and the only thing that went wrong is the relay corroded and quit working. I found a replacement relay on eBay for less than $20.00. This started out as a quick and dirty way to get my trailer ready to load my race car to go to a race, but since they work so well and their trouble-free nature, I just kept using them. Also, if one of them does go bad, I have an immediate replacement available. One of these days, I'm going to order another to keep on the shelf as a spare, but I never get around to it.

Oh, one thing; make sure that you get one that has "power-in" and "power out".
tubman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2017, 09:57 PM   #9
alanwoodieman

been extremely happy with my 5000 lb winch from harbor freight, they are on special for $165 now. even used it to haul a 1 1/2 ton truck on my buddy's big trailer
alanwoodieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2017, 09:26 AM   #10
Seth Swoboda

John, As for a winch I can't help much there except I have purchased one "cheap" winch for an open trailer and it is sitting on the floor in the shop because it no longer works.

As for a trailer I currently have an open trailer, however for long distance hauling I borrow a 20 foot enclosed trailer from a friend. It too has a winch mounted in the front. The 20 foot trailer is the perfect length for hauling our V8's. I would not go smaller. Remember you will also use this trailer for other tasks so don't go too small. I have yet to say "I wish I didn't have so much room in this trailer". Also, if you get an enclosed trailer make sure it has a large door on the driver side that allows you to open the car door to exit the vehicle once you get it inside the trailer.

As a side note, I have been throwing out some serious thought about attending the Chantilly meet in June. If my father in law and Alex attend I may share a room with Glenn. I also need to talk to Jeff about his offer to drive his spare car during the meet if I do not bring a V8 out with me.

Seth
Seth Swoboda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2017, 10:33 AM   #11
JM 35 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seth Swoboda View Post
John, As for a winch I can't help much there except I have purchased one "cheap" winch for an open trailer and it is sitting on the floor in the shop because it no longer works.

As for a trailer I currently have an open trailer, however for long distance hauling I borrow a 20 foot enclosed trailer from a friend. It too has a winch mounted in the front. The 20 foot trailer is the perfect length for hauling our V8's. I would not go smaller. Remember you will also use this trailer for other tasks so don't go too small. I have yet to say "I wish I didn't have so much room in this trailer". Also, if you get an enclosed trailer make sure it has a large door on the driver side that allows you to open the car door to exit the vehicle once you get it inside the trailer.

As a side note, I have been throwing out some serious thought about attending the Chantilly meet in June. If my father in law and Alex attend I may share a room with Glenn. I also need to talk to Jeff about his offer to drive his spare car during the meet if I do not bring a V8 out with me.

Seth
Seth, all sounds good. Thank you for info on trailers. Hoping you guys can make Chantilly. I had a great time at the NVA RG96 ENM in 2007 in Fairfax, VA. I especially enjoyed the tour and BBQ picnic at the Cross Farm and that is on the agenda again for 2017. Also a tour to Manassas National Battle Field and another to Udvar-Hazy Center, the Smithsonian National Air & Space Museum's annex at Washington Dulles International Airport. Should be fun for all.

"Never give up on what you really want to do. The person with big dreams is more powerful than one with all the facts". Albert Einstein

Last edited by JM 35 Sedan; 01-27-2017 at 10:54 AM.
Old 01-27-2017, 10:46 AM   #12
Krylon32

On my last 2 trailers I have used Dutton Lainson Model SA12015DC 12 volt with remote and hard wired it into my trucks battery, I've had no problems to date and winch a lot of heavy stuff onto the trailer. I buy direct since I live close but they are available from Northern Hydraulics.
Krylon32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2017, 10:52 AM   #13
JM 35 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanwoodieman View Post
been extremely happy with my 5000 lb winch from harbor freight, they are on special for $165 now. even used it to haul a 1 1/2 ton truck on my buddy's big trailer
Alan, I assume the HF winches are all made in China? If I was only planning to occasionally pull an old Ford up onto a trailer, I would probably be okay with their winch, but I have some additional heavy duty applications that I'm planning to do with this winch, and failure in the boonies would be a disaster for me and others.

Old 01-27-2017, 01:55 PM   #14
markdtn

My suggestion is buy about twice as big as you think you need. Also do not single line it. Use a snatch block/pulley, for 2 reasons. 1) A winch is more powerful the closer to the drum that the cable is pulling from (top wrap is weaker than the bottom wrap). and 2) you cut the strain on the winch roughly in half. The less you work it at full capacity, the longer it will last. I like a winch with power in/power out and free spool. You never know when you need to pull out a bunch of cable and if you have to power it, it can take a while.
markdtn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2017, 06:02 PM   #15
edhd58

Also remember, rated weights are DEAD pull weights not rolling. A 2000 pound rated winch is supposed to dead lift a 2000 pound weight.
edhd58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2017, 06:14 PM   #16
ronn

I know price is not the concern, but these are on ebay and thousands sold...........

Picture Information

Have one to sell? Sell now

Details about Classic 12000lbs 12V Electric Recovery Winch Truck SUV Durable Remote Control
ronn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2017, 09:15 PM   #17
VeryTangled

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seth Swoboda View Post
I also need to talk to Jeff about his offer to drive his spare car during the meet if I do not bring a V8 out with me.

Seth
As far as I know we're still golden. You might get the Phaeton because it's probably more reliable. Of course I just jinxed it!

Have you thought about supporting the Early Ford V-8 Foundation Museum?
VeryTangled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2017, 01:53 PM   #18
JM 35 Sedan

A big thanks to those who posted information here for me on winches. Much appreciated. If anyone else would like to add their input on this subject, please do so.

Old 01-29-2017, 03:28 PM   #19
Mike in AZ

i like warn winches....a m8000 should work well for you....check craigslist for good prices.....Mike
Mike in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2017, 05:10 PM   #20
35fordtn

With a warn winch you can get a wireless remote control. When loading a car by yourself this feature is PRICELESS>
35fordtn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2017, 06:53 AM   #21
Rwalker

Are you able to set a code on the remote control on a warn winch like a garage door opener or do they come already set? If one remote works all it would be bad loading your car next to someone with the same winch.
Rwalker
Rwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2017, 09:35 AM   #22
trulyvintage

Thumbs up Re: Slightly O.T. - Looking for info on best car trailer winch to purchase

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angledrive View Post
John, I put a Harbor Freight 12,000 lb unit ($400.00) on my trailer and have had zero problems. Need to make sure cable winds back in with some tension. I am happy with it.
Tom
Bingo ....

(12) years in the business - I use this winch every day ...

Line speed is perfect - wireless remote control is well worth it.

Get the one year extended warranty - but you probably won't need it.

Jim
trulyvintage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2017, 10:25 AM   #23
tubman

Does anybody have any idea how much "pull" it takes to get the average car onto a trailer? Before I had my winch, three 200 lb guys could push my 2200 LB race car up easily. I figure with one guy loafing and 6 shoes slipping on the dirt, it's less than 500 LBs, probably a lot less. For the average hobbyist, 12,000 LBs is probably overkill. Oh well, as Carl Kohler used to say : "If some is good, more is better, and too much is just enough!".
tubman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2017, 11:28 AM   #24
blucar

Tow vehicles, winches and trailers all fit into the same category, To quote "tubman".. "If some is good, more is better, and to much is just enough".. Think Fords V8 60.. Ya it was a V8, however, it was also the biggest joke Ford ever tried to push onto the consumers of America.
My tow vehicle is a Ford F250 4x4 Diesel Super Duty, I have two trailers, a 20' 10k enclosed and a 20' 8,500 lb flat. Both trailers have 10k/9k winches.
Many years ago I started out with a 1/2 tow vehicle and a 14' trailer w/ surge brakes on one axle, no winch. The first time I tried to load a vehicle onto the trailer. it took four of us with the aid of a tractor pushing, Pushing a vehicle (39 Chevy) up a 18" incline in the dirt. No fun!! I then bought two come-along cable winches. My next load was a '39 convertible, no engine or front end. Loading went better, two guys and two come-along cable winches, one of which broke just as we were about loaded.
It was obvious that I had to rethink my needs and adjust the equipment I was trying to use. I bought a 20' 8,500# trailer with electric brakes on both axles. I researched winches, opting for a 9k electric from Harbor Freight. I then got rid of the Chevy C10, bought the Ford Super Duty in 2002. I bought the 20' enclosed trailer in 2003, added the 10k winch within three months.
It has been my experience that tow vehicles and the trailers they pull, rise, or fail to the occasions that they encounter. I am constantly being asked to haul something for someone, I've learned the hard way not to loan my outfit (s) to anyone. My standard answer is usually, go spend $75 K for an outfit of your own..
Old 02-05-2017, 10:28 AM   #25
JM 35 Sedan

Thanks again for everyone's response on this. I really appreciate getting your input. I finally bit the bullet last week and bought a winch. It's supposed to arrive tomorrow, Monday, so maybe I'll be trying it out soon. It's a Warn VR12000. I wound up buying it on ebay "buy it now" at $100 to $200 less than anyone else's advertised price. Just thought I would followup on this incase anyone was curious.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg WRN-26502.jpeg (16.0 KB, 24 views)

Old 02-05-2017, 11:33 AM   #26
Seth Swoboda

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeryTangled View Post
As far as I know we're still golden. You might get the Phaeton because it's probably more reliable. Of course I just jinxed it!
Oh my Jeff! That's quite an offer. The fordor will suffice for me. I'm used to the unreliable, builds character.

John, my apologies for hijacking your thread.
Seth Swoboda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2017, 11:48 AM   #27
A bones

Quote:
Originally Posted by JM 35 Sedan View Post
Thanks again for everyone's response on this. I really appreciate getting your input. I finally bit the bullet last week and bought a winch. It's supposed to arrive tomorrow, Monday, so maybe I'll be trying it out soon. It's a Warn VR12000..
No disappointments there, use it in good health.

I used to run wreckers. ( roll backs were not in vogue then ) The winch for recovery, was beautiful when needed.
Old 02-05-2017, 12:16 PM   #28
sidevalve8ba

Quote:
Originally Posted by blucar View Post
I am constantly being asked to haul something for someone, I've learned the hard way not to loan my outfit (s) to anyone. My standard answer is usually, go spend $75 K for an outfit of your own..
This quote reminds me of one of the best bumper stickers I ever saw. It was on the back of someones late-model pickup truck and it said "Yes, this is my truck and no, I will not help you move."
Old 02-05-2017, 12:55 PM   #29
1931 flamingo

Saw that bumper sticker just yesterday ! ! ! !

Paul in CT
1931 flamingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2018, 08:46 AM   #30
VeryTangled

I was just wondering... Any progress on the winch project? Photos?

Have you thought about supporting the Early Ford V-8 Foundation Museum?
VeryTangled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2018, 10:07 AM   #31
JM 35 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeryTangled View Post
I was just wondering... Any progress on the winch project? Photos?
Jeff, not much progress to report here. As you know I'm a slow worker with constant interruptions. I do have all the mounting design worked out, and most of the steel pieces fabricated. Just need to bolt everything in place and give it a try loading some large sections of trees to haul to a lumber mill. I may take some pictures and post them here later.

Old 07-07-2018, 05:43 PM   #32
deuce_roadster

I second the wireless remote use, love mine. Another thing I did when I built my open car trailer was that I welded a trailer hitch receiver behind the trailer jack, made a mount for the winch with the trailer square tube that fits the receiver. That way, you can take the winch off and put it in your shop out of the weather and not temping thieves when not in use. A trailer hitch pin keeps the winch secured when in use.
deuce_roadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 08:28 AM   #33
Don Rogers

John, Here is my setup in my new Pace 20' trailer. I used a 3500 lb winch with remote control. I also installer a voltage inverter with a deep cycle marine battery. I have a 120v outlet inside the trailer also.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg winch.jpg (27.8 KB, 22 views)
Don Rogers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 08:46 AM   #34
JM 35 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Rogers View Post
John, Here is my setup in my new Pace 20' trailer. I used a 3500 lb winch with remote control. I also installer a voltage inverter with a deep cycle marine battery. I have a 120v outlet inside the trailer also.

Nice job Don!!