Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-16-2013, 10:05 AM   #1
oldford2

Default 8ba dual point distributor

Does anyone still sell the dual point setup for an 8ba distributor? I can't find any listed.
Thanks
John

oldford2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 01:18 PM   #2
rotorwrench

Default Re: 8ba dual point distributor

Most of the stuff that would be out there is old stock aftermarket stuff. The Holley Load-O-Matic distributor only had the vacuum advance that worked off the Holley carburetor through a special vacuum port in the venturi. The dual point will aid with a slightly improved spark if has two seperate condensers but it won't improve the advance curve at all. The mechanical advance distributors that were made by Mallory back in the day were fair for street use but had no vacuum advance to aid in fuel economy so they don't get as good a mileage as the modified Chevy or Chrysler units that have both.

You might be just as well off with an unmodified Load-O-Matic as a modified unit. Most dual point set ups only need a 4-lobe cam to function and the points open spaced at even intervals so the condensers can be more fully charged before each set opens again. That is the only real advantage of a dual point set up unless it's also set up with dual coils.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 02:34 PM   #3
Bill OH

Rembless made a dual point ball bearing plate that connected both points in parallel and a single condenser running on an eight lobe stock cam. Problem was it was the loadamatic and worthless with dual carbs. Mallory made a dual point distributor with mechanical and vaccum advance (vaccum piston), but the drag of the vaccum piston caused too much wear on the distributor and cam gears. Been there and done all of that. I would suggest obtaining a Chevolet or Chrysler distributor modified to fit your 8ba. I am not certain that the 24875B points for the Mallory are obtainable at present from Mallory.
Bill OH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 02:56 PM   #4
Mike51Merc

I wrestled with dual points for a couple of years. I'm much happier with my Pertronix insert.
Mike51Merc is offline   Reply With Quote