Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-11-2019, 08:59 PM   #21
BUBBAS IGNITION

Default Re: DEAD: 1948 Super Deluxe 8 Sedan

First, replace the condenser
BUBBAS IGNITION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 10:02 PM   #22
cas3

second, send the coil to skip, third send the distributor to bubba
cas3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 08:13 AM   #23
chuck stevens

here's something to try that won't cost you a dime. Next time it doesn't start put a jumper wire between the battery and the post on the coil, crank it with the starter button. The resistor sometimes has too much resistance after it gets hot. Ford put a starter by-pass on cars sometime in the 50's. Turn the key on and take the wire off after it starts, good luck, Chuck.
chuck stevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 09:07 AM   #24
JSeery
Member Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck stevens View Post
here's something to try that won't cost you a dime. Next time it doesn't start put a jumper wire between the battery and the post on the coil, crank it with the starter button. The resistor sometimes has too much resistance after it gets hot. Ford put a starter by-pass on cars sometime in the 50's. Turn the key on and take the wire off after it starts, good luck, Chuck.
He should not be running a ballast resistor, assuming it is the correct coil, ~1.5 ohms. The ballast resistors were added with the switch to 12v along with the starter by-pass.
JSeery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 05:55 PM   #25
Pigpen

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJ View Post
Are you sure you have the right size battery cables? 6 volt uses the larger cables and many times they are replaced by the smaller 12 volt cables. Smaller cables = resistance.
1-gauge cables from battery negative, to starter solenoid/to starter.

1" wide flat braided mesh cable from battery positive, to body, then another 1" wide flat braded cable from body to engine block.

All cables appear to be fairly new.
Pigpen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 06:03 PM   #26
Pigpen

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUBBAS IGNITION View Post

I'll grab a new condenser, next time I'm at the parts store.

Anyone have a preference on name brand stuff for ignition components?
Old 02-12-2019, 06:31 PM   #27
JSeery
Member Emeritus

Bubba recommends a NAPA brand I think.

FA54

Last edited by JSeery; 02-12-2019 at 06:38 PM.
Old 02-13-2019, 08:14 AM   #28
chuck stevens

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSeery View Post
He should not be running a ballast resistor, assuming it is the correct coil, ~1.5 ohms. The ballast resistors were added with the switch to 12v along with the starter by-pass.
check this part number at Mac's Part #: 32-11948-1 6 volt
chuck stevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2019, 12:32 AM   #29
ALmotoman

My car ('48 Ford Tudor SD) ran great the first year or so that I had it, and then it began having the same issues as yours. I chased the gremlin(s) for months, installing rebuild kits, replacing this and that. Did everything I new to do. Then Joe at Joe's Antique Auto in MA gave me the number for Michael Driskell at Third Gen Auto, McMinnville, TN (615-293-9985). I called him and we talked a few times. Then I boxed up the coil, fuel pump, distributor and carburetor, and mailed them to him. Coil and fuel pump checked out fine. Distributor and carburetor were rebuilt and set up to specifications. Got the parts back, put them back on the car and alas.....happy motoring. Michael is knowledgeable, honest, reliable and his pricing for parts and labor is very fair....money well spent. Oh, and his turn around time was less than 3 days and he guarantees his work.

You can check out my similar story at: 1948 Super Deluxe Ignition (?) Woes ( 1 2 view all)
ALmotoman

Hope that this helps with your problem.
ALmotoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2019, 08:48 AM   #30
Teacher John

I had the same problem with the 460 in my '79 F350. I replaced the coil and no mas problemas.
Teacher John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2019, 09:23 AM   #31
JSeery
Member Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck stevens View Post
check this part number at Mac's Part #: 32-11948-1 6 volt
It is going to depend on the coil you are using. If it is a ~1.5 ohm coil it would not use a ballast resistor. Up to 48 if the original coil was used it required the ballast resistor, after 48 Ford started using the familiar "can" type coil without a ballast resistor (until the change to 12v when the ballast was again required). Most of the 46-48 era vehicles I have seen have the original coil replaced with a later "can" coil. So, if you are using the original style coil, yes it would have a ballast resistor. But if it has the "can" coil then it should not have a ballast resistor (assuming ~1.5 ohm coil).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg th.jpg (25.5 KB, 27 views)
File Type: jpg 359973456_58580e8d6c.jpg (156.7 KB, 34 views)
File Type: jpg 51z2Y4vHswL.jpg (32.3 KB, 226 views)

Last edited by JSeery; 02-27-2019 at 09:38 AM.
Old 02-27-2019, 11:25 AM   #32
nbrskn

my 46 mercury , I no longer own. Would quite when hot sometimes. Let it cool and it would run again. Problem ended up being a relay ? up under the dash mounted on inner fire wall. Dont know if this was a stock item or not but was old.
nbrskn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2019, 06:36 PM   #33
peewee2you

Pigpen, I see in previous post the condensor has been mentioned, and you stated coil was replaced, as others I had the similar problem and indeed turned out to be the condensor, if I missed it I apologize on that you have changed out the condensor to determine if it your problem? so most like the culprate at this point, save time and money I say this because always the path of least resistance=money in this case, cheapest way to go and perhaps you will get results on the cheap like others advice... condensor is located by the crab distributor.
peewee2you is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2019, 08:29 PM   #34
Pigpen

Just an update, as to not leave this thread hanging... The '48 and its 59AB is running fantastic once again. Drove it around pretty much all weekend without any starting or running issues.

When I finally got time and mess with the Super Deluxe this summer (this year went by way too fast and things got away from me) it now was a crank over but complete no-start, on top of the previous problem of just the no-start condition when warm. Was pretty much all ignition related and battery related.

Points were in not so great shape, the coil was also giving a problems with intermittent and low spark and the battery would drop to only 4.8 volts during cranking. Dropped in a Pertronix Igniter (1285LSP6) along with a new stock ignition coil, eliminated the rigged in ohmite brown devil resistor (soldered right to the original resistor) and bought a new 830cca battery instead of the now five year old 630cca battery. Also the glass bowl was leaking fuel, so a new gasket fixed that.

I'd post a picture of the ol' girl, but I'll be darned, trying to attach one here *puts hands in pockets, and kicks dirt*
Old 10-19-2019, 08:46 PM   #35
Pigpen

Like you guys recommended, the fist thing I tried was a new condenser, and still no start. Looked and was disappointed at the condition of the points. Dropped in the points conversion and it started, but ran intermittently. Coil was weak, and I tried the old one that came in a box of extra parts with the car and it worked, but the cover/housing was broken, so I bought a new replacement. Battery was getting older and was actually a smaller battery than what the car needed, so replaced it with a new and proper size one after the conversion. Need to get a new set of plug wires yet, as where they are crimped, is not so great. I'll do that next, along with a set of new sparkplugs.
Old 10-19-2019, 09:15 PM   #36
Tinker

Remember sometimes a condenser out the box new isn't always great these days. I buy a couple and try them out. Nothing wrong with new plugs and wires, I'm also a skip guy on coils. Best of luck!
Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2019, 09:23 PM   #37
Tinker

[QUOTE=Pigpen;1811524Dropped in a Pertronix Igniter (1285LSP6) along with a new stock ignition coil, eliminated the rigged in ohmite brown devil resistor (soldered right to the original resistor) and bought a new 830cca battery instead of the now five year old 630cca battery. [/QUOTE]

Think if your using a Pertronix electronic replacement points you need a non stock coil. Like a Ignitor II coil. And no resistor as Js mentioned. You might also need to go with spiral spark plug wires if you are running a electronic ignition (certainly with the igniter coil).

But maybe I read it wrong or I'm mistaken. It is easier if you keep it all in one thread as these guys with knowledge can go through all changes and help.

Last edited by Tinker; 10-19-2019 at 10:43 PM.
Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2019, 10:45 AM   #38
1942deluxe

Fighting a similar condition on a 48 Ford coupe. New C&G starter, NAPA FA 54 condenser, Skip rebuilt coil, Charlie rebuilt carb and fuel pump, Deka battery,
new solenoid. Starts and runs great but if I shut it off after about 10 miles won't
even turn over until it cools down for about half an hour. The only thing I haven't
changed is the 18-12250 resistor under the dash. Do I need to put a resistor on the
coil itself? Battery cables are 6 volt thickness. Tried a new resistor under the dash. No
change.....running out of ideas.

Last edited by 1942deluxe; 10-20-2019 at 05:34 PM. Reason: more information
1942deluxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2019, 07:41 PM   #39
meric42

If the engine will not turn over (hot, or cold) the resistor is not the problem, the Ignition resistor only controls the current flow in the ignition circuit through the coil and points. I would suggest cleaning & re-tightening all ground and battery connections as any looseness, corrosion or dirt/grease in these connections will surely inhibit the current required to crank the motor.

Gotta love my '42 Sedan Delivery's - Now that I own the only two in New Zealand

https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/album.php?albumid=580
meric42 is offline   Reply With Quote