Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-10-2015, 06:48 PM   #1
waterboychuck

Default After market steering column on 42-48

I looking for info on buying an after market steering column for my 46 coupe. I would like to buy a Ididit column but have been told that it should be 32 inches and they do not make one that size with the shifter on the column, but they do have a 33 inch. Can anyone here help on this issue?

Thanks, Chuck
Old 02-10-2015, 07:21 PM   #2
JSeery
Member Emeritus

Default Re: After market steering column on 42-48

For that type of question you might do a lot better on the HAMB. Most of the info on the Barn is a little more traditional.
JSeery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 11:15 AM   #3
TJ

Check with Classic Performance Products in the L.A. area. They sell all kinds of columns and they are half the price of an Ididit. I used one in a friend's car and the column is an exact copy of the Ididit and the quality was excellent. It came powder coated black. As I recall it was less than $300
TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 12:44 PM   #4
George/Maine

I guess you will be using your 1946 box.
Cut the column and weld spline to shaft then get the length,
Lot of work to look pretty
George/Maine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 01:38 PM   #5
woodiewagon46

It would help to know what steering box are you planing to use.
woodiewagon46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 06:14 PM   #6
Dec211975

I bought an Ididit steering column for my 39 ford truck, the quality is excellent. I have read on the Hamb about Chinese built columns that the plastic universal joint for the tilt has broken allowing no steering control. I would avoid cheap columns from over seas. I don't think 1" inch longer are shorter should be a deal breaker.

Regards,

Brian

Last edited by Dec211975; 02-11-2015 at 06:15 PM. Reason: Explanation
Dec211975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 06:37 PM   #7
Mike B

If it were me adapting to the original box, I'd look into pulling the box, cutting the column and shaft, "double D'ing) the shaft, and adapt from there with a collapsible joint..where to put it, or where to cut, would be your preference on what you wanted to look at when lifting the hood.

On my '36 PU , I'm going the opposite way and adapting the stock column to a rack, so I can keep the original look inside the cab.
Mike B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 07:21 PM   #8
waterboychuck

I have a Mustang ii front end so the steering column will adapt to that. I would like to use Ididit but they do not sell a 32 inch steering column with a column shift. I have posted on the HAMB with only one reply so thought that I would post here. I would like to know if a 31 inch or a 33 inch would work from your personal experience.
Old 02-11-2015, 07:44 PM   #9
JSeery
Member Emeritus

Not sure what is going on with your setup. Normally the steering column would not connect directly to the steering rack and the connection between them can be cut or purchased in any length you want. How is the column connecting to the fitting on the rack, with just a universal joint? Mustang serrations on one end and what on the other, DD, serrations, what?

Update: Just went to their site, not sure where you are getting your information but looks like it is totally incorrect. From the site:

"The tube can be made to any length, but cannot be any shorter than 4 inches."
"The shaft can also be made to any length between 1 inch and 8 inches from the bottom of the tube."

So where is the problem, the tubes come in any length, the shafts come in any length and you can add a couple with any length between the couple and the rack.

http://www.ididitinc.com/pdf/HowToMe...ringColumn.pdf

Last edited by JSeery; 02-11-2015 at 08:30 PM.
Old 02-12-2015, 01:35 AM   #10
47Merc

Hi Chuck

A bit depends on how deep a dish the steering wheel is and where you want to place it because that sets the height of the column.

On a 33 inch column with the wheel set fairly low (a lot lower that stock height) and a Southern Rods banjo steering wheel the outer tube sticks about 2 1/2 inches through the fire wall.

This may seem a lot but by the time you put the gear shifter clamp (Lokar?) on the outer tube and with a bit of clearance all around it, there is not a lot of room left.
See figure 2, 7 & 8 in the Lokar instructions below.

The 32 inch would be ideal if you had a floor shift but with the column shift I think the 33 is OK.

Hope this helps

http://lokar.com/downloads/pdf-instr...iftLinkage.pdf

Last edited by 47Merc; 02-12-2015 at 04:49 AM. Reason: more info.
47Merc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 10:40 AM   #11
woodiewagon46

What ever column you decide on using, two things mentioned you must do. First DO NOT think you are going to save money by using a China made column. They are downright dangerous, go with "ididit", they make a superior product. Second "double D'" the end of the shaft. You can probably do it yourself or have a machine shop do it for you. I don't care how good a welder you are, do not weld the shaft. If you are going to use a stock steering box, why can't you use the set up that Mike B suggests? It would really help if you gave more info on what you are trying to accomplish.
woodiewagon46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 11:27 AM   #12
JSeery
Member Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodiewagon46 View Post
What ever column you decide on using, two things mentioned you must do. First DO NOT think you are going to save money by using a China made column. They are downright dangerous, go with "ididit", they make a superior product. Second "double D'" the end of the shaft. You can probably do it yourself or have a machine shop do it for you. I don't care how good a welder you are, do not weld the shaft. If you are going to use a stock steering box, why can't you use the set up that Mike B suggests? It would really help if you gave more info on what you are trying to accomplish.
Good comments. He's using a mustang II front end with rack and pinion steering.
Old 02-12-2015, 12:19 PM   #13
waterboychuck

I contacted Ididit and they told me that they could make a 32 inch column with a column shift for an extra $100 which will not break the bank but I’m looking to see if anyone else has done this and what length column that they have. I do have a friend with a 46 and he has a 67 Camero column in his car. Ididit also has a 67 Camero column but I understand that has special mounting brackets etc so do not want to buy that one.
I have a new fire wall and floor pans in the car so it is a clean slate. I only want to cut once if you know what I mean. Also I will be putting in a double D shaft into a universal joint at the rack and pinion.
Old 02-12-2015, 12:28 PM   #14
JSeery
Member Emeritus

So why not go with a shorter column and a coupler and a short connecting shaft cut to the length you want? That is the setup I used (I have these same basic setup in a 38 sedan). I'm surprised you can get it to connect direct and stay out of the way of the exhaust and everything else that ends up in the way. That allows you to set the column at almost any angle and position you want.
Old 02-13-2015, 01:28 AM   #15
47Merc

Hope you have read step 3 of Ididit's explanation of how to measure for a universal column where it states that you must have the shift linkage, ie. the bottom of the column tube, 2 inches clear of the firewall to fit the column shift bracket etc.

the photo is a 33 inch column in a RHD 47
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1030376.JPG (108.8 KB, 11 views)
47Merc is offline   Reply With Quote