Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Late V8 (1954+)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-20-2017, 02:53 PM   #1
Grumpy Rick

Default '55 T-bird PS and trans leaks

When I bought the car it was 'restored' but the PS, Trans, and Motor sat for several years before being used much. I fixed the PS problems, except for a leak in the piston area. The trans has a big leak near the front seal, now that it is being driven.

So, I went to Auto Zone to get some magical stop leak stuff. I have read here that they work for a while and then later leak worse than ever. I met a man who said he owned a transmission shop for 40 years, so I asked him about that problem.

He said that the various poducts work by loosening up the seals, and expanding them to slow the leaks. The problem is that they keep expanding the seals until they leak more eventually. He said he only could recommend one brand...K&W TransX, for trans leaks. He said it works for a while to expand seals, then stops, unlike other brands. It will not over expand the seals. It is also NOT for PS leaks.

So I got some. Time alone will tell if he was right, but at least he had an informed opinion, and I didn't have to flip a coin to decide which one to try.

I will report results.
Grumpy Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 03:56 PM   #2
dmsfrr

Default Re: '55 T-bird PS and trans leaks

Here's a random observation that may eventually be relevant to someone...

Out in the middle of nowhere during a 3 state trip with a group of '55/'57 T-Birds one of them developed a trans fluid leak, presumably a front seal(?)
We had extra trans fluid on hand but during the several days & remaining 1000+ miles of the trip it was discovered the trans did not leak down below the the 'add' mark on the dipstick. If the fluid was topped off it would spit right out while driving, but left alone at the low mark it just stayed there, so we kept an eye on it and left it alone until the car got home.

Last edited by dmsfrr; 06-20-2017 at 05:18 PM.
dmsfrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2017, 05:55 AM   #3
Grumpy Rick

I have only driven the car about 20 miles so far, but the PS leak is down to only a couple 2" spots, and the trans leak which was a small puddle, is down about 75% so far.

I just picked up some BarsLeak for the engine, but will wait till the others stabilize before putting it in. The motor leaks at the front main, and rear, but not badly. With leaks from all three areas, it is hard to tell which was which.

I have receipts for engine and trans work from before I bought the car, but it was done early in the restoration, and just sat for several years. I am hoping all the seals were replaced, and the stop leak softens them.

Anyway, so far so good, except I took my wife for a ride to put some miles on the stop leak products and ran out of gas.
Old 03-04-2018, 02:50 PM   #4
Grumpy Rick

Follow up report:

The transmission still drips, but the leak is only 25% of what it was.

The PS ram is still leaking, but it also is much less, and seems get less each time we drive the car.

We did not run out of gas, it was an ignition problem. Now fixed, and we can start driving it more.
Old 03-05-2018, 08:16 PM   #5
Anteek29

Grumpy...keep us informed on the drips - or hopefully, lack of.
1955 Victoria
Anteek29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 11:51 AM   #6
Ole Don

Grumpy Rick; we dont know whether to call you by your first name, or your last. Your up to date replies are wonderful. Thanks.
Ole Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 03:06 PM   #7
Grumpy Rick

Thanks Ole Don,

Since I had several postings that had a lot of overlap, I thought I would update and finalize them. I don't like to leave open ended threads.

I answer to most anything, especially the dinner bell.