Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-30-2016, 04:29 PM   #1

Default You cant trust these kids working in a Automotive store.

I told this guy to give me 2 feet of fuel line hose, he goes in the back makes a cut and hands it to me, I asked him how come it doesn't say fuel line hose, he and another guy said, they don't always list it that way. I found that hard to believe, but anything is possible when almost everything is made in China. Two weeks later car is running rough again and stalling out, Iam thinking this is impossible, everything is good, whats the problem now. Iam stuck in a parking lot, so I take the filter out, its clean, remove the fuel line, and a miniscule piece of black comes out, tear down the Stromberg its near the jets and a spec of rubber is in the S-jet inlet valve, this hose I guess was disintegrating slowly.
1929 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2016, 04:41 PM   #2
Gary WA

Default Re: You cant trust these kids working in a Automotive store.

I hope you returned it for a full refund!!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg model a cartoon.jpg (78.2 KB, 383 views)
Old 07-30-2016, 05:02 PM   #3
MikeK

I had the same problem WITH hose marked "fuel" from the local parts store. Black stuff disintegrated after about a week. Fortunately it was a 6" piece on my lawnmower. E10?
MikeK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2016, 05:03 PM   #4
C26Pinelake
BANNED

Location: Michigan / Ontario border, Sarnia, Ontario. 50 miles from Detroit and 150 from Toronto.

The kids are only as smart as the old guys that train them. The fault is not with the kids but with the manager and owner. I am surprised you didn't know the difference ?? Wayne.
C26Pinelake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2016, 05:26 PM   #5
Synchro909

When I converted to 12 volts, I had a 12v Bosch coil on the shelf which I decided to use. I knew that if the condenser and the coil weren't matched, I'd burn the points so I rang Bosch to find which condenser I should use. I got a young fellow on the other end and when I explained what I wanted, his reaction was coil??, points??? condenser??? I don't know what you're talking about but there is an old guy works here - he might know. I'll ask him and get back to you. I expected to never her from him but true to his word, he did ring. The young fellow was amazed that this "old guy" knew the answer straight out of his head - didn't have to look up anything. Turns out the "old guy" was in his 50's
On the other hand, this young fellow would probably have been all over electronics.
Old 07-30-2016, 05:35 PM   #6
Mitch//pa
BANNED

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Buy fuel injection hose it's much better
Mitch//pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2016, 05:53 PM   #7
tbirdtbird
BANNED

agree with #5.

Gates also makes a fuel line hose with a barrier lining to the crapahol. It has green labeling on the hose and is called Barricade.

The local O"Reillys was kind enough to begin stocking for us about 4 yrs ago. It WILL stand up to crap gas. Fuel line hose always has some fiber threads running thru the walls, perhaps rayon or nylon, to reinforce it for a pressure system. If that is lacking then it is NOT fuel line

With each passing day china tries to force more and more garbage down our throats. It is getting harder and harder and harder to get proper parts any more; it is a full time job unto itself. The upcoming election could solve that problem......
Old 07-30-2016, 06:12 PM   #8
Mitch//pa
BANNED

Agree with #6. Barricade is also an excellent choice and product
Old 07-31-2016, 03:36 AM   #9
Tom Wesenberg

I only use TYGON hose for all my small engine now.
It stays flexible and you can see if fuel is flowing through it.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2016, 07:06 AM   #10
Special Coupe Frank

Slightly OT, and more about the kids behind the counter.... a number of years ago, I was helping a friend who had bought a vintage truck from me. We needed new spark plugs. so we went to the nearby Advance Auto, and I asked the clerk ( kid behind the counter, complete with many tattoos and grommets in his ear lobes ) for six Auto-lite spark plugs and gave him the plug number (believe they were 307 - a common 14mm plug).

The kid behind the computer insisted he needed to know the year, make and model of the vehicle. I replied that I knew the part number, and had given it to him, could he just please go back to the shelves and grab six of them.

We went round & round on this point for about five minutes, neither side budging.

Finally, I said, "Okay, you asked for it. Year, make and model ? 1961 Willys 6-226 Utility Truck ! "

He just stood there blinking for a few moments, then asked me to repeat the information... I repeated it, and wrote it down for him. He tried entering the info in his computer terminal... and found nothing.

We went through Willys, Jeep, AMC, and didn't find a listing. Finally, a manager who had begun to hover jumped-in and asked if he could help.

I went back to the original request for six Auto-lite 307 spark plugs, and the manager checked stock by part number, and told me they didn't stock them, but we were able to cross to a small engine plug they did have in stock.

After about a half-hour, my buddy and I had six spark plugs, and got on with our day and got his truck running.

Seems like many trips to the auto store turn into "teachable moments" for me...
Special Coupe Frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2016, 07:11 AM   #11
bobbycoke

What really gripes me about asking a question to a clerk about a product is when they start reading the package ????????? if it answered it on the package I would have read it....Yes I can read, it is something that used to be taught in school........again how the eroading of the middle class work ethic has gone to china....!
bobbycoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2016, 07:44 AM   #12
mshmodela

Lesson: Do your homework before you buy.

Late 31' Ford Model A Tudor, Miss Daisy

I don't work on cars --I'm learning about my Model A.

Cleveland, Ohio
mshmodela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2016, 08:17 AM   #13
C26Pinelake
BANNED

Location: Michigan / Ontario border, Sarnia, Ontario. 50 miles from Detroit and 150 from Toronto.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benson View Post
Recently the kid brought my change ... short 85 cents.

Me: You owe me some more change.

Blank stare ... deer in the car lights look.

Me: You owe me some more change.

More blank stare ... and deer look.

Me: You owe me 85 cents ...

Another Blank stare ... deer in the car lights look.

Me: I want to talk to your manager.

Oh you want me to bring you the 85 cents.

WTFO?

What is being "taught" at home and in schools these days?

You missed the point! What kind of screening is the dumb ass employer doing ? That is where the problem is. Wayne

Old 07-31-2016, 08:30 AM   #14
daren007

Our local auto parts store Auto Value formally National Bushing and Parts Co. has been in the parts business forever. Do not go into their stores in the evenings or weekends unless you have to. One time I needed a small tube of valve grinding compound, Reply.. They don't make it anymore. Another time I needed brake parts. We do not have them. And another I was looking for R134 to R12 adapters. They do not make them. Each of these times I returned and the parts were on the shelf.

Do not hire kids that cannot wear a hat correctly.
daren007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2016, 08:38 AM   #15
big job

Nothing taught at home and schools now. All this violence now caused by 'they took
the stick out of school' At least back then teacher wacked me with a yard stick & the old
man found out then I got double wacked with a 2x4-- justice in the 50's. back to the post, fuel injected fuel line rubber only now works with diesel. Rule one going to
these new chrome shops 'advanced and such' don't tell them its a 49 Hudson, they
can't even spell that, so go by numbers. I'm lucky but writing is on the wall these napa guys will retire, meaning I go for all tune up stuff for a 46 V8 no books no computor so the white hair
guy picks it off the shelf. (new guy there goes to stupid putor) he goes Duhh! all I
find is 5.0 stuff (me what in hell is 5.0?) its a 239 cid ya dope. speak english man, so
when ya need a H10 plug, he says whats it for, I say a potato launcher gun ! numbers ya need.......
big job is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2016, 08:41 AM   #16
Terry, NJ

A number of years ago, I was restoring a Ford 1952 8N tractor. This was a rare model because it had a Howard Rotovator with the extra low speed for rototilling. Howard was originally a British company that had moved to Australia to produce these tillers for Ford. I needed some some drawings for the coupler and a few other parts, so I called Ford, Australia and got a guy and when I explained the purpose of the call, his response was, "We made that?, We made tractors? I wasn't here then (No shlt!) so I don't know. I'm sure we have nothing in the files, Good Day!" Or something very like it!

Another bright light was working in a local A.P. store in NJ. I went in to buy a fan belt and was told that it must be off a machine because no car ever had a belt that wide. I told him he was too young to know and left.
Terry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synchro909 View Post
When I converted to 12 volts, I had a 12v Bosch coil on the shelf which I decided to use. I knew that if the condenser and the coil weren't matched, I'd burn the points so I rang Bosch to find which condenser I should use. I got a young fellow on the other end and when I explained what I wanted, his reaction was coil??, points??? condenser??? I don't know what you're talking about but there is an old guy works here - he might know. I'll ask him and get back to you. I expected to never her from him but true to his word, he did ring. The young fellow was amazed that this "old guy" knew the answer straight out of his head - didn't have to look up anything. Turns out the "old guy" was in his 50's
On the other hand, this young fellow would probably have been all over electronics.
Terry, NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2016, 08:51 AM   #17
C26Pinelake
BANNED

I can't believe there are this many cynical people ( above ) that have no faith in our future generation. Shame on you all! Wayne
Old 07-31-2016, 09:04 AM   #18
Mitch//pa
BANNED

This is why I do all my own parts ordering for the shop myself via computer... Gone are the days of calling your jobber and giving them the YMM and still get the wrong parts...now if the part comes wrong it's my own fault...I deal with two places and have direct access to inventory , price shopping etc... Click the submit button and it's on the way.
Can even order parts from my phone from anywhere's.
As far as the idiotic public chain joints I stay away from those especially if they have service bays... I won't support a competitor
Old 07-31-2016, 09:23 AM   #19
Dick Steinkamp

When I was young, we all had the same interests as our parents and grand parents. We all dressed the same as them and listened to the same music. We were all polite and smart. We knew all the parts for 80+ year old steam engines and didn't need any of those "books" to assist us.

All I can say to the kids of today is....

STAY OFF MY LAWN!!

Old 07-31-2016, 09:25 AM   #20
BILL WILLIAMSON

Let's NOT dump ALL the "kids" in ONE BAD category!!! There's some sharp "kids" out there. We're mostly jealous because they're YOUNG.
If we tick them off too much, they may NEVER get into the Model A Hobby.
Bill W.