Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-28-2010, 08:08 PM   #1
josh1331

Default Yes.. That full flow oil filter

i PUT ONE IN ON MY 1930 TUTOR, AND i AM GETTING DIFFERENT ADVISE AS TO WHETHER i SHOULD HAVE PUT IT ON AS THE FORD HAS LOW OIL PRESSURE AND UPON START UP, IT WONT PUMP THE OIL IN THE CHAMBER RIGHT AWAY AND WILL AFFECT THE BEARINGS ETC ETC. gEE i AM REALLY CONCERNED ...ANY ADVICE? SHOULD I RUN THE STARTER , WITHOUT TURNING ON IGNITION FIRST THEN START IT UP. ?? THANKS /jOHN
josh1331 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 08:13 PM   #2
mass A man

Default Re: Yes.. That full flow oil filter

Just my opinion but I'd get rid of the filter especially if there is any worry.
mass A man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 08:49 PM   #3
MAG

Yes!!!! By all means get rid of it.... Send it to me. I will pay postage. Got just the place for it.
Old 07-28-2010, 08:51 PM   #4
Kurt in NJ

You would be amazed at how long oil stays in the bearings, I have taken engines apart that have been sitting for years and there is still oil on the bearings, there is far too much worry about this, at most the oil would be delayed 5 seconds.

I would worry more about having a too rich mixture diluting the oil, and not driving long enough to attain full operating temp (not getting hot enough to evaporate condensation and unburnt fuel that cause sludge and acid)
Kurt in NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 09:14 PM   #5
PC/SR

Keep it. Any delay is not going to be more than a few seconds and as mentioned, oil stays in the bearings. I would recommend the 90 degree adapter.
PC/SR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 12:31 AM   #6
Ron in Quincy

I have been running an full flow oil filter. Had it installed when the engine was rebuilt. No problems at all, over 1000 miles on the engine. I live in the mountains so the A engine get a good work out. I have changed the filter once and didn't get oil on the engine so I don't plan on getting the adapter to set the filter vertical.

I wouldn't worry about oil to the bearings as it only takes a few seconds to fill the valve chamber.

Ron
Ron in Quincy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 07:04 AM   #7
Lee

Keep it, get the 90 degree adapter from a junk yard(70s ford trucks) and run Mobil 1 oil, get a 160 degree thermostat, you can't do any better than that for the engine.
Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 09:51 AM   #8
Glenn C.

I have a full flow oil filter on one of my engines, with the 90 degree adapter on the valve cover. Also use a 0 to 10 psi pressure gauge. When engine starts, the gauge registers above 10lbs probably around 14lbs. When the engine gets up to temp of 160 degrees with a short drive, the oil pressure drops to 3 to 4 PSIG.
IMHO leave it on and drive.
Glenn C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 10:04 AM   #9
MikeK

All spin-on oil filters have a "backflow preventer" rubber flap valve of sorts that keeps the oil from draining in horizontal apps. A 90 degree adapter is NOT needed to keep the filter full.

The one good reason for a 90 adapter is that it is easy to prefill and install a new filter, and remove a used one, without making too big of a mess on the side of your engine. Shown here are two, both Ford parts. In the small inset is the currently available adapter from Ford Motorsports, about $80. It is offset to the left and has an annoying tab (red circle) that can easily be trimmed off. The larger pix is one of two styles of out-of-production Ford adapters from V8 truck apps. I got this one at a bone-yard for $12, and it has a nice offset to the right.

Several filters other than the big, FL1A that wastes .88 quarts of oil will fit:
The shorter one in the pix is a Fram PH7328, 3 5/8D x 3 1/4 H .6quart
If you want more knuckle room, Fram PH3614, 3"D x 3 3/8 H .4quart
Also, Fram PH3600, 3"D x 5"H .6quart

MikeK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 10:10 AM   #10
Dave in MN

Josh...I agree with the guys that say "Just run it"
I have had one on my engine for over 48,000 miles. I don't baby the engine at all. I think the filter contributes to the longevity of this engine. I have never had the pan off the engine...it just keeps doing everything I ask it to do. With the filter, I change oil every 1500 to 2000 miles. At 2000 miles, the oil is just starting to "turn color". The delay of oil getting to the valve chamber would be so slight...I don't worry about it.
Good day!
Dave in MN
Dave in MN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 11:59 PM   #11
Ron in Quincy

Josh,

Forget to tell you, the original filter I had on the engine was a standard size and when I replaced it I used a shorter version which look much nicer, comes painted black so it blends in better. The filter is a NAPA Gold #1068.

Ron
Ron in Quincy is offline   Reply With Quote