Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-18-2017, 02:47 PM   #1
wingski

Default to drain or not to drain

Another question. I am going to pull the pan on my ’29 cabriolet to make sure everything is torqued correctly. Has anyone ever blocked the pan securely and lowered it with oil in it? I have a small floor jack that lowers very smoothly and slowly so I’m not worried about a jerky descent that would cause spills. And, I have the blocks to keep the pan level.

What do you think? Even though the oil is clean, I still have an adversion to pouring drained oil back into an engine.

Mike
wingski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2017, 02:57 PM   #2
Bill G

Default Re: to drain or not to drain

I think your bigger task will be putting a pan back on that is full of oil. That seems like an accident waiting to happen! If you don't want to drain and pour the oil back in, then 5 more quarts might just be part of the cost of re-torquing. Do you have reason to believe they are not torqued correctly?
Bill G is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2017, 03:03 PM   #3
Railcarmover
BANNED

The best thing you can do for your engine is changing the oil.. often. Debris introduced from removing the pan and tinkering with it are more than you'll get driving cross country. Don't be cheap with oil when rebuilding the engine is so expensive. Your trying to save 20 bucks worth of oil by jeopardizing a 4000 dollar engine...
Railcarmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2017, 03:05 PM   #4
WHN

Why!!!
WHN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2017, 03:15 PM   #5
FordTudor1931

If you drain the oil, you'll get a chance to see if there is anything at the bottom of the pan!
FordTudor1931 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2017, 03:22 PM   #6
Big hammer

Only if you have alot of Dawn soap :-)
Old 12-18-2017, 03:23 PM   #7
Jw

drain it, pull it, remove the dipper pan, clean tray and pan, reinstall dipper pan correctly, install new gaskets on the block, install rope seal in pan if required, install pan, install fasteners and torque to 7 ft lbs, reinstall drain plug and gasket if required, add oil (5 qts), start engine, check for leaks, all ok? then good to go. (Hint, cut the head off of a couple of bolts and insert in block so the pan will line up correctly, once pan is installed, remove the install alignment bolt stud and install the correct bolts and torque per spec) Technical writer, could of written more detail, the idea is there.
Jw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2017, 03:26 PM   #8
Synchro909

If you're worried about losing the oil, wait till it is due for replacement, then drop the sump. BTW, it seems to me you have too much time on your hands if there is no problem but you want to check torques. Is there a reason to do it?
Remember the old trueism "If it aint broke, don't fix it."
Old 12-18-2017, 03:40 PM   #9
JDupuis

As stated earlier Mike; very tricky to put the pan back on with oil in it. Good luck with your decision.
Jeff
Old 12-18-2017, 04:01 PM   #10
michael a

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDupuis View Post
As stated earlier Mike; very tricky to put the pan back on with oil in it. Good luck with your decision.
Jeff
Just an idea instead of doing all that unnecessary crap fired up and go for a drive enjoy the day

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk
michael a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2017, 04:25 PM   #11
1931 flamingo

WHY X2.
Paul in CT
1931 flamingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2017, 04:27 PM   #12
Jw

the very first thing that will happen is that the oil filled pan will fall off the floor jack, it happened to me only ONE time. How will you check the main and rods with cotter pins? remove the pins to check torque, then you have a lubricated nut and bolt/stud, and the specified torque is for a "dry" fastener. and to the above question, Why do you want to check the lower end? Forgot to say in my above info is to inspect the oil for Babbitt material, use a magnet for metallic material, check the pump for the lower spring, comments, opinions, I learn stuff everyday
Jw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2017, 04:51 PM   #13
40 Deluxe

Just spray around the drain plug with carburetor cleaner and blow or wipe dry. Loosen the drain plug a few turns and let some oil dribble out. Then drain it into a clean pan and cover the pan with a piece of cardboard. Pour the oil back using a clean funnel. It won't hurt a thing. Don't be superstitious!
40 Deluxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2017, 04:55 PM   #14
Ray in La Mesa

Wingski, I have dropped the pan without draining the oil many times. You just have to be careful as you lower it as the front lip will hit the tie rod. It's a lot easier to pour the oil into the used container once rather than twice. The floor jack works super to do it.One cabriolet to a man to another!
Ray in La Mesa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2017, 05:46 PM   #15
wingski

The reason I want to check the torque on everything down under is because when I bought the cabriolet it was spotless. It still is. No dirt, no leaks, and no grease. However, almost every nut and bolt on this car was only finger tight, maybe a little bit tighter than that, but way too loose. If I would have tried to drive it when I got it home, who knows what would have fallen off, been lost, or whatever.

When I did get it running and drove it down to my neighbor’s to show off, he thought he could hear some bottom end noise. I couldn’t, but my hearing really sucks. I don’t know if Ernie was just jealous of my beautful blue cabriolet, or if he really heard something. For an 89 year old guy, his hearing is phenominal though.

So, that’s the reason or reasons to pull the pan.

Oh, by the way, this thing has a spin-on filter. And like I said, nothing cruddy to get in the oil when I drop the pan. And thanks for the advice, I am going to drain the oil before removing the pan. I decided I want to check closely for any metal down there, so I’d have to drain it anyway.

Thanks again, you guys are great,

Mike
wingski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2017, 07:39 PM   #16
redmodelt

Last time I was around anyone that dropped the pan with oil in it, we were on I-5 heading North and had to make an emergency repair to change out a rod bearing in an MG along side of the freeway. That would be the only time that I could see doing it that way.

So drain the oil in to a clean oil pan or buy new oil, 5 qt isn't that costly unless you are using something besides regular oil.
Old 12-18-2017, 08:13 PM   #17
J Franklin

I have checked the bearings as you endeavor to try and there was no problem. I would think it would be easier to drain it into a clean container and filter it as it is returned to the pan.
J Franklin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2017, 09:17 PM   #18
Bruce Adams

Five quarts of oil costs between ten and twenty-five dollars. WHY would you not drain and give to reclamation place?
Bruce Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2017, 10:41 PM   #19
J Franklin

Maybe drain it and use it in the lawnmower. Remember when they used to use old oil to keep the dust down on the dirt roads and driveways?
J Franklin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2017, 11:38 PM   #20
1930-Pickup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Adams View Post
Five quarts of oil costs between ten and twenty-five dollars. WHY would you not drain and give to reclamation place?
I just paid 37 for five quarts of premium conventional 10-40 at Pep-Boys. You guys on the right coast have it easy!