Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-12-2017, 10:43 AM   #1
fred93

Default 30 coupe steering box question

My friends 30 coupe seems to have too much play in the steering wheel while the wheels are pointed straight ahead. If the steering wheel to turned the the left or right, that play seems to be less. I tried adjusting the steering box, but the problem that I ran into was if I adjusted the box for less play at the straight ahead position then turning to the left are right it was binding up.

Does that happen when the worm gear and/or sector gear are worn out????
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2012.05.25 (4).jpg (102.6 KB, 20 views)
fred93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 12:29 PM   #2
Marshall V. Daut

Default Re: 30 coupe steering box question

(1) In the past, I have had to remove the steering column and adjust the eccentric rivet facing the frame rail (almost impossible to do with the unit still mounted to the frame). This is the infamous 4th adjustment addressed in the service bulletins. That slot-head rivet is normally in the straight up and down position, but if someone has moved it, that will cause the problem you are experiencing. If you have followed the three usual adjustment steps and are still experiencing binding in the center position, that would be my guess.
(2) Alternately, if someone put in a new sector, but not a new worm gear and didn't adjust this rivet, that would cause binding in mid-travel while trying to adjust out slop. Ford recommended adjusting this eccentric rivet whenever a new worm and sector were installed. Do you know the history of your friend's restoration? Receipts for parts and/or work performed?
Marshall
Marshall V. Daut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 02:44 PM   #3
fred93

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshall V. Daut View Post
(1) In the past, I have had to remove the steering column and adjust the eccentric rivet facing the frame rail (almost impossible to do with the unit still mounted to the frame). This is the infamous 4th adjustment addressed in the service bulletins. That slot-head rivet is normally in the straight up and down position, but if someone has moved it, that will cause the problem you are experiencing. If you have followed the three usual adjustment steps and are still experiencing binding in the center position, that would be my guess.
(2) Alternately, if someone put in a new sector, but not a new worm gear and didn't adjust this rivet, that would cause binding in mid-travel while trying to adjust out slop. Ford recommended adjusting this eccentric rivet whenever a new worm and sector were installed. Do you know the history of your friend's restoration? Receipts for parts and/or work performed?
Marshall
Unfortunately I don't have any history. But I did run into several problems with other systems when I first started working on it. For instance, the right rear brake rod was never connected to brake on that wheel. Also, someone has welded the front wishbone to the axle and the perches look like they were welded to the wishbone (but I would need to check into that more). The front perches look like they were badly worn and someone just replaced the bushings and put everything back together. Butchers at work!!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg front perch.jpg (82.9 KB, 96 views)
File Type: jpg front radius rod.jpg (73.1 KB, 89 views)
File Type: jpg front spring nuts 2.jpg (90.7 KB, 90 views)
File Type: jpg top leaves front spring.jpg (53.3 KB, 88 views)
File Type: jpg front spring.jpg (50.9 KB, 79 views)
Old 10-12-2017, 05:11 PM   #4
700rpm

You didn't ask for this advice, but since this is an advice forum, I will offer you this little nugget: get rid of that whole front axle assembly, find a good used one and rebuild that one correctly. Your current setup is a lost cause.

As you go through life, keep your eye on the donut, not the hole.
700rpm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 06:03 PM   #5
Kevin in NJ

Based on what I see I would say everything is suspect on the car. The person doing the work did what was quick an cheap. You can not trust anything you see as being safe or correct.
For safety sake you need to tear it all apart and correct what is wrong. I would also guess the brakes have issues too.
Kevin in NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 06:34 PM   #6
fred93

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin in NJ View Post
Based on what I see I would say everything is suspect on the car. The person doing the work did what was quick an cheap. You can not trust anything you see as being safe or correct.
For safety sake you need to tear it all apart and correct what is wrong. I would also guess the brakes have issues too.

I went through the brakes back in 2010--new drums w/hubs-shoes-springs-replaced most all parts worn or not. They are in good shape at this time. All from Bratton's. It was done right!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 12.23.09 (10).jpg (54.9 KB, 26 views)
File Type: jpg 2009.12.27 (1).jpg (75.6 KB, 36 views)
File Type: jpg 2009.12.27 (18).jpg (66.6 KB, 29 views)
Old 10-12-2017, 06:35 PM   #7
fred93

Quote:
Originally Posted by 700rpm View Post
You didn't ask for this advice, but since this is an advice forum, I will offer you this little nugget: get rid of that whole front axle assembly, find a good used one and rebuild that one correctly. Your current setup is a lost cause.

I will present this advice to the owner. Thanks for your reply. Much appreciated.
Old 10-12-2017, 07:31 PM   #8
Bob C

Hopefully the grease was cleaned off the rear axle taper before the drum was installed.

Bob
Bob C is offline   Reply With Quote