Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-24-2019, 09:55 AM   #41
30 Closed Cab PU

Default Re: Synthetic Oil

Here is a previous string on oil, is one of those topics where there are multiple opinions. There are a lot more strings if you do a search.

https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showt...el+Mystery+oil

Rotella T4 has some Zinc in it if concerned about a need Zinc. I use it even though personally I do not think Zinc is necessary after motor break in on Model As. The amount of Zinc in the current T4 formulation seems to be fuzzy. I have read that too much Zinc is not a good thing, more is not better. You need to know how much is in your oil, and add only what needed. Too much can damage metal over time.

My view is that the Model A does not need Zinc, the A motor is low reving, teh valve springs are relatively weak and do not create as much force on the Model SAA tappets/valves Cam.

More important than type of oil is to change it frequently. It helps to keep contaminants from getting into the lower end bearings. An alternative is to add an oil filter. Even if my A had a oil filter I would still change it frequently, oil is cheaper than an engine rebuild.
30 Closed Cab PU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2019, 02:38 PM   #42
100IH

Don't listen to any one, including me. Racing oil makes faster, thicker oil makes slower.
The really sad thing is, can't hardly find single viscosity 30. What'sa guy to do? Seriously, I will add - synthetics don't care much for cork gaskets.
100IH is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 07-25-2019, 03:23 PM   #43
Ernie Vitucci

Good afternoon...Our engine guru here in the wilds of Arizona (read never very cold) recommends that we run Castrol HD 30 Heavy Duty. I can usually find it at NAPA or order it at O'Riley's just slightly cheaper...Ernie in Arizona. Our 'A' seems to like it. Ernie in Arizona
Ernie Vitucci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2019, 03:47 PM   #44
Werner

It actually only makes nonsense to use single-grade oil. Today's technology offers perfect multi-grade oils that no one doubts that understands a bit of technology. Synthetic oil or mineral oil can be discussed. But not with single-grade oils, whose technology finally ended in the 60's. Slight spread - 10/15/20W-40 are correct for our use in the A.

Ford Model A, Roadster, 1928
Citroen 11 CV, 1947
Hercules W 2000, 1976; (with NSU-Wankel Rotary Engine), Canadian version
Werner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2019, 05:00 PM   #45
30 Closed Cab PU

I believe there is a Rotella 30 weight oil, but has to be special ordered. Not sold by most. At least that is what my Mod A shop told me. That is what they use.
30 Closed Cab PU is offline   Reply With Quote