Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-10-2013, 11:53 AM   #21
Ross F-1

Default Re: old cars report values Vs Impossible values

Quote:
Originally Posted by 34pickup View Post
I used to read Old Cars regularly until I realized that they were in business to drive up the cost of my beloved hobby. ...
Hemmings is the same way. They view cars as investments, not anything else. It's to their advantage if prices go up, as they sell more coverage. Very few owners (as a %) own their cars for investment. The quickest way to a small fortune with old cars is to start with a large fortune....
Old 10-10-2013, 12:30 PM   #22
Mike51Merc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ross F-1 View Post
Hemmings is the same way. They view cars as investments, not anything else. It's to their advantage if prices go up, as they sell more coverage. Very few owners (as a %) own their cars for investment. The quickest way to a small fortune with old cars is to start with a large fortune....
Yeah, but it's always good to tell the wives how much our cars have gone up in value...
Mike51Merc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 12:34 PM   #23
Ross F-1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike51Merc View Post
Yeah, but it's always good to tell the wives how much our cars have gone up in value...
The way it worked with my ex was:

"The car is worth $10,000 now"
"We can't afford that! You need to sell it."

Never mind that I had $3k into it....
Old 10-10-2013, 07:44 PM   #24
FrankWest

Quote:
Originally Posted by 36rgtop View Post
Perhaps you shouldn't be reading Old Cars at all. As stated, they don't set prices, buyers and sellers do.
Sounds like you are not really looking for a car, you are looking for a bargain.
Excuuuuuuse Me! Mr Bargain!
I am retired living on SS and would like to own a 1933 ford.
I considered paying 50K for a nice car, but people on this board said to me, Are you Nuts and they quoted very low prices in many sources like Old cars reports.
FrankWest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 07:47 PM   #25
FrankWest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ross F-1 View Post
I never look at anything I purchase as an investment.

I buy things for the fun of it period!!!!
I always consider that I can usually get at least 1/2 what I paid if i ever want to see it.
Old 10-10-2013, 08:08 PM   #26
FrankWest

Quote:
Originally Posted by 36rgtop View Post
Perhaps you shouldn't be reading Old Cars at all. As stated, they don't set prices, buyers and sellers do.
Sounds like you are not really looking for a car, you are looking for a bargain.
Anyone that knows anything about investing knows that CARS are not investments, especially if you use them, which is what I want to do.
I like the 30's era and choose to use this car as my daily car and repair it as needed and I plane to drive it until I die. I like the car. Hate new cars.
Enjoy the 1930's era, I am a student of the depression.
Old 10-10-2013, 08:08 PM   #27
TJ

Frank, the bottom line is it's your money and you can spend any way you want on whatever you want. I just sold a nice '40 tudor sedan and sold it for $1500 less than I paid for it. I owned it for 7 years, so it cost me about $220 a year to own it. I put over 10,000 miles on it and I couldn't lease a car for $220 a year and have that much fun.
TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 08:27 PM   #28
bart78

Cars are all ways worth more to the seller. They are only worth the highest price a buyer will pay. I see the same cars on eBay and Craigslist all the time. Some are nice cars. And a bunch are real nice cars that a person got carried away with and put way to much money in. And when it comes to projects and cars that need restored. I think location makes a big difference. Most of these people around here don't want to mess with having to ship a car. Or have someone come look at a car for someone over seas. They would rather have the guy with the trailer waiting out front and money in his hand. Take the car with him then. There are still areas where these cars don't mean anything to people.
bart78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 08:54 PM   #29
FHFD

I get it, some people read Old Car Reports..to determine what the price should be on their sought after car.
The real question is do the sellers read Old Car reports, and price their cars accordingly? I think not.
A vehicles worth is, and has always been, what someone is willing to pay for it.
Become a student of the market, so you can recognize the "hot deal" when you find it.
Old 10-10-2013, 09:44 PM   #30
barnfind

I would have to want something really really bad to get on a plane to go look at it.
Did that once about 20 years ago and took a cashiers check to buy the car but it was a real hassle. I guess it was worth it since I still have the car.
A 2 to 4 hour drive is a different story and still enjoyable as part of the "hunt".
Seems like cars in remote locations generally sell at much lower prices due to fewer potential buyers.
barnfind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 01:19 PM   #31
BlueSunoco

Quote:
Originally Posted by 34pickup View Post
I used to read Old Cars regularly until I realized that they were in business to drive up the cost of my beloved hobby. They seemed to relish the reporting of cars selling for crazy money. I think they are owned by Kruze auctions, aren't they? That means that they want the costs to keep rising. I would like to see them go down.
I wouldn't pay any attention to their price guides. The area of the country the car is for sale in has more to do with price than most anything else in my opinion.
I agree. 110%. Finally someone said this.

I read OCW for years, dropped my subscription, picked it up again about a year ago as they were offering a 'deal', BUT as soon as it runs out THIS time NEVER again. I'm done with those clowns.

My biggest gripe is, I almost never receive the magazine. I will get two or three in a row then never see one for another month, and then get one issue and then two weeks later get another one-. This year alone I am out almost 13 issues I never saw--I have called them, written them, e-mailed them and they could give a rat's you-know-what. They said 'Take it up with the USPS' so I tried that and you know how far THAT goes,,,forget them doing anything they claimed it is OCW's fault. I wrote a hard copy letter to them asking for my $$ back, and of course there was no response.

No, stay away from these guys they are pretty pathetic, save your money. And as 34Pickup stated all it is is a venue to pump over priced cars and run up the asking prices of old cars.
BlueSunoco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 01:26 PM   #32
FrankWest

Quote:
Originally Posted by CC33 View Post
I think that the '33 Ford seems to be more difficult to find than a '34. As an owner of a '33 Deluxe Fordor, I can say that prices reflected in ANY price guide are not an accurate representation. Take a look at this '33 that just sold on Ebay. It will need a complete restoration, and look at what it sold for.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1933-...#ht_590wt_1167

The model I own had a complete rotisserie body off restoration. Price guides show a value at about $25,000. There is no way you can find a solid project car, and restore it correctly for that price.

Don't go by "price guides". Only pay what you feel comfortable with, knowing that you will probably need deep pockets to restore it.
Looking back I should have tried harder to wind that auction.
I was a little worried about it being from New Hampshire.
Used to live there and the water is very harsh.
Also the guy had a 40's motor installed. So not what I was looking for.
Old 10-11-2013, 01:29 PM   #33
FrankWest

Good to here! I will look for the right car. The worse thing is to buy the wrong car too soon and be sorry later when the right car comes around.
I like original interior even it is shabby.
Old 10-11-2013, 02:33 PM   #34
Charlie Stephens

I was using an Old Cars Price Guide back in the nineties when I was looking to buy a 1932 Ford 4 door sedan. I think I knew the prices since I spent 5 years looking for the car I finally purchased. All of their prices seemed be be low by a factor of two at least. I think the demand had gone up for the 4 doors at the people buying them aged and the book did not keep up with the change plus there was only a very small number of cars changing hands at the auctions. They have a very big task keeping up and I think they are better than nothing.

Charlie Stephens
Charlie Stephens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 02:40 PM   #35
Charlie Stephens

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankWest View Post
Good to here! I will look for the right car. The worse thing is to buy the wrong car too soon and be sorry later when the right car comes around.
I like original interior even it is shabby.
Frank,

You should put your general location in your post and in your profile so if something of interest comes up near where you live someone can give you a lead on it. If something like you want came up tomorrow I probably would not take the trouble to track you down since you probably live a couple of thousand miles away and should really purchase the car close enough that you could check it out in person carefully (if you live in Los Angeles let me know and I will keep you posted if I find anything). Also a post in the "wanted" section would be good with a periodic bump to the top.

Charlie Stephens
Charlie Stephens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 03:26 PM   #36
Kube

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie Stephens View Post
I was using an Old Cars Price Guide back in the nineties when I was looking to buy a 1932 Ford 4 door sedan. I think I knew the prices since I spent 5 years looking for the car I finally purchased. All of their prices seemed be be low by a factor of two at least. I think the demand had gone up for the 4 doors at the people buying them aged and the book did not keep up with the change plus there was only a very small number of cars changing hands at the auctions. They have a very big task keeping up and I think they are better than nothing.

Charlie Stephens
Typically the price on sedans starts to rise only when the coupes and convertibles have reached a value wherein many potential buyers are no longer able to afford those more desirable models.
Old 10-11-2013, 03:57 PM   #37
FrankWest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kube View Post
What a vehicle costs to purchase and subsequently cost to restore has NOTHING to do with it's value. A '33 Fordor in #1 for $25k is probably low in the real world but not by a lot.
It would seem the logical to see what the market demands!
The old cars report seems closer to reality for the 1930 model A ford.
Old 10-11-2013, 05:16 PM   #38
HCO41

I've never depended on printed price guides. I think it's better to talk with others as you make friends on forums like the Barn or local clubs. I would feel more comfortable observing the prices in a club publication ex. V8 Times. At best any info. should be looked at as a guide line. It's what you like and if you're willing to except a fairly negotiated price.
By the way, sorry you guys are down on OCW. I probably wouldn't put up with eratic delivery, but I do enjoy the short stories during my morning repose.
HCO41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 07:09 PM   #39
BlueSunoco

What's even crazier is the NADA price guide for antique and collector cars. Look that up.

To me, prices are off the chart no way on a number of the values they give. Then there is the case of a TRULY #1 condition car,,,,most are not anywhere near #1 but a lot of sellers sure think that THEIR car IS We've all gone to see a car advertised as 'mint' when it turned out to be a real turd.
BlueSunoco is offline   Reply With Quote