Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-12-2013, 05:30 PM   #1
Ross6860

Default Juice Brake Kit

My '36 came with a full juice brake conversion kit from Early V8 Garage. Not installed.

I've been driving the car as is, and other than some rattle from the brake rods (I think they may hit the exhaust pipes when going around curves and hitting bumps), I really don't think the mechanical brakes are all that bad.

Anyone use Early V8s Garage kits? Other kits or home builts?

I imagine an improvement in braking, but without changing (modernizing) tires and suspension is it really worth the effort?

Never blow a line with mechanical brakes

Your opinions are appreciated.
Ross6860 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 06:36 PM   #2
JM 35 Sedan

Default Re: Juice Brake Kit

Using the floaters on my '35 mechanicals and they feel as good if not better than some '39 to '48 Ford hydraulic brake cars I have driven. It does seem like you need to keep after the adjustments more with these floaters installed. Maybe with improved braking it causes more wear on linings and drums.
I am not presently planning to convert to hydraulic brakes on my '35 but, if I ever did, I would use the Lincoln brakes.

Edit: this post was not meant to say anything negative about the Early V-8 Garage and their brake conversion kit offerings. If you prefer hydraulic brakes on your Early Ford, Richard Lacy and his EV-8 Garage offerings are an excellent choice.

"Never give up on what you really want to do. The person with big dreams is more powerful than one with all the facts". Albert Einstein

Last edited by JM 35 Sedan; 10-13-2013 at 07:09 AM.
JM 35 Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 06:41 PM   #3
Willit Stop

Ross....I had to make a choice as well.After re-assembling my '36 I found out what defensive driving was all about.The problem wasn't the braking system,it was me and my lack of knowledge.I screwed them up.If mechanicals are set up correctly,they work just fine.Needless to say,mine weren't. So,I installed a set of floaters (energizers) from C&G.They were under $60.Money well spent.Now the brakes are as well as, if not better than hydraulics.It can be done in an afternoon but adjusting takes a while.Flathead Ted sells a floater kit too and I've heard that they're easier to adjust.MHO Gene
Willit Stop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 09:09 PM   #4
32phil

We have three EV8 garage kits installed. One car, 28 Model A RPU on deuce rails with an overhead 4 Banger has 40 Ford brakes all around. Stops well. 32 fenderless roadster, 8BA on a basically stock 32 chassis Lincoln brakes in the front 40 brakes in the rear. Stops really well. Last car is a stock bodied 32 Tudor, 265 Chevy. Lincoln brakes all around. Stops really well as this is much heavier than the two open cars. All 3 are using the EV8 kit and with 6K plus miles combined we have no complaints.
Old 10-12-2013, 09:26 PM   #5
Ross6860

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ross6860 View Post
My '36 came with a full juice brake conversion kit from Early V8 Garage. Not installed.

I've been driving the car as is, and other than some rattle from the brake rods (I think they may hit the exhaust pipes when going around curves and hitting bumps), I really don't think the mechanical brakes are all that bad.

Anyone use Early V8s Garage kits? Other kits or home builts?

I imagine an improvement in braking, but without changing (modernizing) tires and suspension is it really worth the effort?

Never blow a line with mechanical brakes

Your opinions are appreciated.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JM 35 Sedan View Post
Using the floaters on my '35 mechanicals and they feel as good if not better than some '39 to '48 Ford hydraulic brake cars I have driven. It does seem like you need to keep after the adjustments more with these floaters installed. Maybe with improved braking it causes more wear on linings and drums.
I am not presently planning to convert to hydraulic brakes on my '35 but, if I ever did, I would use the Lincoln brakes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willit Stop View Post
Ross....I had to make a choice as well.After re-assembling my '36 I found out what defensive driving was all about.The problem wasn't the braking system,it was me and my lack of knowledge.I screwed them up.If mechanicals are set up correctly,they work just fine.Needless to say,mine weren't. So,I installed a set of floaters (energizers) from C&G.They were under $60.Money well spent.Now the brakes are as well as, if not better than hydraulics.It can be done in an afternoon but adjusting takes a while.Flathead Ted sells a floater kit too and I've heard that they're easier to adjust.MHO Gene
Showing my ignorance here...

What the heck are "floaters"?

$60 is loose change working one these old babies, so if it's an improvement it has to be well worth it.

Any info you can share would be appreciated.
Ross6860 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 09:30 PM   #6
tiquer

the 53 to 60s f-100 brakes work well and the parts are still available at most auto parts outlets (napa)etc.
tiquer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 09:44 PM   #7
mfagan

I have the Early V-8 Garage brake line kit on
My 34 5 window and the fit like they had been
made by Henry in 1934! Can't say enough good
Things about Richard Lacy.
mfagan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 10:07 PM   #8
Matt in Alameda

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiquer View Post
the 53 to 60s f-100 brakes work well and the parts are still available at most auto parts outlets (napa)etc.
Do these have the 5X5.5" bolt pattern?.......Matt in Alameda
Matt in Alameda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 01:22 AM   #9
Kahuna

Deleted
Kahuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 01:44 AM   #10
flatheadfan

Ross-

I have one of each ('35, '36). The '35 has '47 hydraulics with a '55-'57 Ford vacuum booster. This car really understands the word "stop!" In many ways it as good as my two newer daily drivers. The '36 has mechanical brakes with floaters. At speeds under 45 and no panic involved the brakes do their job "somewhat."

For me, the problem with mechanical brakes is there are a lot of mechanical parts that must be in top condition. Any wear (even slight wear), in the system will compromise everything. As mention previously, adjustment is an on-going thing.

As it stands now, my winter project is a hydraulic conversion on the '36. I have an Early V8 Garage conversion kit which should facilitate things.

Tom
flatheadfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 04:28 AM   #11
Mart

The f1/f100 brakes do work well, but only if you do not want to run wire wheels. You can only run 40-48 steels on these hubs and drums.

Ok you CAN run wires but the Thick wheel spacer/adaptor required is not desirable due to the increased kingpin offset and increased stress on wheelbearings.

For some reason Ford engineered the 40-48 hydraulics so they are compatible (with a little work) with the wires, so these are ideal for the hydraulic conversion.

Mart.
Mart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 10:18 AM   #12
Willit Stop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ross6860 View Post
Showing my ignorance here...

What the heck are "floaters"?

$60 is loose change working one these old babies, so if it's an improvement it has to be well worth it.

Any info you can share would be appreciated.
Floaters or energizers replace the adjusting wedges and adjusting links.Basically,they are the same thing as adjusters on newer cars.They allow the shoes to float so equal pressure is applied to the drum from both shoes resulting in improved shoe to drum contact.A stock system works fine unless the leading shoe and trailing shoe are of unequal thickness.Then, the thicker shoe will contact first and the thinner one will have little effect.I hope this helps.
Willit Stop is offline   Reply With Quote