Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-26-2019, 10:34 PM   #1
Blazer006

Default Where to start?

Hi I'm new here and a little lost......so here goes anyways...Recently I acquired a 1930 A Tudor that has a lot of history with it family history...The car was purchased by my Dad and its co owner his brother around 1980.... Thru the next twenty years it mostly sat as they stock piled parts with a occasional weekend worth of work done on it. The two had the same car back in the early 40s they shared as their first ride so I guess they just had to do it again....In 2000 my dad got sick with cancer and sold his half to his brother...in 2004 my father passed and his brother shared the same fate and passed in 2006....My uncle had 2 daughters and were not interested in the car so it sat in his shop ever since...Recently they decided to sell the old home place and there was the car and in previous years I had expressed interest in it to try to complete it. Finally one day I got the call and I purchased the car from them and brought it home that was last Christmas and I have been working out of state so she has sat since then. So here is where my journey begins.

Now to the car itself the car is a frame off restoration...The car is complete lots of new parts and I have two tubs of new parts left to install...I would say she is at 85%. The drive train is all there and appears to be intact and I know they had it running but that's about all I know. I was out of state most of those years so I really don't know mechanically how sound it is but very clean. It appears a battery and fuel and she might just fire up with some tinkering. The car appears to be mostly original so far that I can tell except the front fenders and and running boards they still have the stickers on them...lol....It does need a complete interior which I'm about to order and paint...The paint part is what I'm confused about the most...The car sits now with black fenders and running boards but the rest of the car is primer grey...and all the trim is installed along with a new top and the lumber under the top...Typically I would think you paint prior to installing that top and completely installing all and everything on the car including the engine. If its a mock up to a paint job its the most elaborate one I've ever seen every body bolt on this thing has been replaced stainless steel and torqued. I just really wish I new what there thinking was to finish it... So your probably wondering where the question in all this is...its in the title...I'm brand new to these car's ....but I'm a fair hand with a wrench so I'm not scared either...any do's and don'ts with these cars and any particular manuals or books to help me with my journey that you guy's would recommend....Thanks in advance and any and all advice is welcome...
Blazer006 is offline   Reply With Quote