Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-27-2018, 10:39 AM   #1
rfitzpatrick

Default To Fuse Or Not To Fuse-The Great Debate

In the magazine: Model "A" News, pages 14/15 is a story about fusing your A Model.
https://model-a-Ford.org. November/December 2018 is the date

If there's a way to convert this to an e-mail -- would someone pm it to me?
Thanks
rfitzpatrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2018, 11:17 AM   #2
30 Closed Cab PU

Default Re: To Fuse Or Not To Fuse-The Great Debate

Quote:
Originally Posted by rfitzpatrick View Post
In the magazine: Model "A" News, pages 14/15 is a story about fusing your A Model.
https://model-a-Ford.org. November/December 2018 is the date

If there's a way to convert this to an e-mail -- would someone pm it to me?
Thanks
Legally do we need to get permission from Mod A news to do that?

If legal I have a copier/scanner and can send it via email, or can paste it into the body of an email.
30 Closed Cab PU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2018, 11:23 AM   #3
30 Closed Cab PU

Most likely if for personal use to file away, is OK. But if distributing may need their permission. If for personal use, let me know and I can do immediately for you. Sorry for being careful, but once got a letter from a lawyer when I was copying a section of a manual, and distributing to others for only the cost of postage.
Old 12-27-2018, 11:47 AM   #4
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Quote:
Originally Posted by 30 Closed Cab PU View Post
Most likely if for personal use to file away, is OK. But if distributing may need their permission. If for personal use, let me know and I can do immediately for you. Sorry for being careful, but once got a letter from a lawyer when I was copying a section of a manual, and distributing to others for only the cost of postage.

But you were being compensated for doing this by accepting the costs for the postage.

The other thing was you were also a victim of 'intimidation' by the lawyer. The lawyer probably knew that this complaint would likely not get past a grande jury, ...and (s)he definitely knew that a jury of your peers would not award them with a decision in their favor, but they did 'win' because you apparently stopped making copies.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2018, 11:59 AM   #5
30 Closed Cab PU

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRENT in 10-uh-C View Post
But you were being compensated for doing this by accepting the costs for the postage.

The other thing was you were also a victim of 'intimidation' by the lawyer. The lawyer probably knew that this complaint would likely not get past a grande jury, ...and (s)he definitely knew that a jury of your peers would not award them with a decision in their favor, but they did 'win' because you apparently stopped making copies.

I thought along the same lines. But cost of a lawyer for me even for an intitial response letter, litigation costs, time off work most likely without pay, etc., etc. - stopped doing it, definitely not worth pursuing.

And after thinking about it, they had a point - robbing Manual sales/reprints (were still available) from the publisher/authors. Guess in a way I was a small potatoes NAPSTER.
Old 12-27-2018, 12:22 PM   #6
WTSHNN

To the original poster;

You can bring your copy of the magazine to a kinko's, office max, library, or a copy center type place and they can scan it to you for a buck or two.

-Tim
Old 12-27-2018, 12:49 PM   #7
Y-Blockhead

For what it's worth it states in the front of the magazine "©Copyright 2018 Model "A" Restorers Club, Inc. Reproduction of contents prohibited without written consent."

Your choice if you want to get involved in that.

Also not sure if Kinko's will copy it if it has a ©Copyright. They wouldn't do it for me.

Last edited by Y-Blockhead; 12-27-2018 at 01:24 PM.
Y-Blockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2018, 01:04 PM   #8
30 Closed Cab PU

AM PMing him
Old 12-27-2018, 02:09 PM   #9
1931 flamingo

Having been a copier repairman for several years, copying anything was never a problem for me................................

Paul in CT
1931 flamingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2018, 03:24 PM   #10
jm29henry

What about the fuse debate ?
jm29henry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2018, 03:36 PM   #11
30 Closed Cab PU

Quote:
Originally Posted by jm29henry View Post
What about the fuse debate ?

Can you be a little more specific as to your question please?
Old 12-27-2018, 03:39 PM   #12
steve s

Seemed pretty authoritative to me, although it gave the impression that fuses were there to protect stuff, not wiring. Connection to wire size wasn't mentioned. However, this might be excused for Model As, as he only referred to actual damage to stuff being done by a generator running wild if ignition system became disconnected from battery, and Model A wiring is pretty stout and not so likely to be under-fused as to catch fire.

He pointed out that there are three independent circuits (horn, lights, and ignition), and where to fuse each if you want, and pro's and con's of fusing ignition. Identified seven fusing options. Curiously, circuit diagram showed an alternator but only talked about generator. He pointed out that if the popular ignition system fuse (on starter) blew, damage depended on engine speed (engine not running, good; high speed, bad). He DID NOT venture an opinion of whether this was true for alternators, too.

Last edited by steve s; 12-27-2018 at 03:57 PM.
steve s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2018, 04:03 PM   #13
30 Closed Cab PU

I started a different post/string about this article and the fun projects regulator/cutoff replacement/upgrade. The article and other post indicates if you fuse at the starter and it opens with the motor running, the generator can destruct among other "parts" Other "parts" are not identified in the article.

The starter fuse as I have been told by others, prevents fires/toasted wiring when the motor is off, due to electrical shorts. This does not include the starter or starter wiring. The starter fuse does not fuse the starter and starter switch. If you ever are cranking on the starter, engine does not fire, check you brakes and headlamps - if the Ammeter does not deflect - a sign the fuse is bad. I learned this the hard way.
Old 12-27-2018, 04:33 PM   #14
rfitzpatrick

Thanks everyone for your replies -- I once had an engine shut-down in traffic when I switched on my head-lamps. That was not funny --
Old 12-27-2018, 05:01 PM   #15
Terry, NJ

This is gonna sound like real "Farmer Fix" if ever there was one! I like the idea of a fuse! But I couldn't get one to stay "unburned" in my coupe and it was burning out at the worst possible times, Sooo, I fixed it good! I took a burned out glass tube fuse and drilled a hole in each end to match the size of a #14 gauge wire (solid, not stranded) Then I cut a piece of #14 wire and bent a little tail on it. I then, with a pair of electrician's side cutters cut the wire halfway through. That was my high resistance, weak point so my wire would still burn out if it was needed. I stopped having burnouts and my wiring is still intact and I'm not going crazy hunting down high amp fuses. Problem solved! Albeit, I don't like this kind of thing, but it's working for me this time.
Terry
Terry, NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2018, 05:05 PM   #16
Synchro909

Quote:
Originally Posted by rfitzpatrick View Post
Thanks everyone for your replies -- I once had an engine shut-down in traffic when I switched on my head-lamps. That was not funny --
Sounds to me like you had the ignition circuit fused and turning on the lights blew it. IMO, never a good idea.
Old 12-27-2018, 05:14 PM   #17
rfitzpatrick

I now have the entire articly in my e-mail. PM me your email and I can forward a copy.
Thanks
Old 12-27-2018, 05:41 PM   #18
30 Closed Cab PU

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synchro909 View Post
Sounds to me like you had the ignition circuit fused and turning on the lights blew it. IMO, never a good idea.

Could also be shorted headlamp pins, repops sockets will do this, again learned the hard way. Issue started when I replaced a burned out bulb.
Had to cut a small piece of tractor inner tube to place between the socket rear pins.
Old 12-28-2018, 12:18 AM   #19
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

It looks like he wants to fuse the car like a modern car with each item on a separate fuse.