Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-25-2018, 04:36 PM   #1
Steves46

Default New Model A Owner

Hello all. After 14 years of enjoyment with my 46 Flathead V8 Coupe, I recently sold her so that I could get what I have always wanted-a Model A; mine is a 30 coupe. Although she is not 100% stock, she still has the original running gear. The only upgrades made by the PO was changing over to 12 volts, steel wheels with juice brakes, and a 40 Ford front end. Between this forum, Youtube, and other sources on the internet, I have learned quite a bit but still have plenty to learn. The car runs great however after taking her out for a drive, I am noticing seapage from a small area of the bottom seem of the top radiator tank inside the engine compartment. This only happens after she is warmed up. I know eventually I will need to remove the radiator for repair but was reading articles about adding a teaspoon or two of black pepper. Has anyone else tried this? Bad idea? Appreciate anyones inputs. Best, Steve.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1930 Model A.jpg (144.4 KB, 83 views)

Last edited by Steves46; 12-25-2018 at 09:15 PM.
Steves46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2018, 04:57 PM   #2
37 Coupe

Default Re: New Model A Owner

I don't have an answer to you radiator issue but do have a couple comments.As soon as I saw your user name I recognized it from the Fordbarn Early V8 forum wher I lived for years but still have my '37 coupe. I too always had the idea to get back into a Model A and did so in August after an owner iterim of 42 years.I bought a '31 roadster and all the different from the V8 issues that came with it.Mine had a pretty bad radiator so I ordered and purchased one from Gary Berg.Also pulled engine to address oil leaks and trans and clutch repair.The Model A guys on this forum are absolutely wonderful with their help and the Model A vendors and parts are so much better than what is available for the V8 Fords and no back ordering.I have wondered since I bought this car if other early V8 guys have made this jump to an older Ford and if so like me wanting to try a more basic car with everything more price reasonable also.Good Luck and I hope I can help as I have learned a ton of info that 5 months ago I actually never knew or remembered from my first roadster at 18 years old 1964. If I would have known just 5 months ago what I know now I would still have bought a '31 roadster but not the one I did buy. If I would have taken a knowledgeable Model A owner with me to inspect car they would probably have talked me out of it with the mechanical work it needed . Lots of cars are listed today a older restoration but this one is way older like 1950's-1960's.
Old 12-25-2018, 05:02 PM   #3
Synchro909

Firstly, welcome to the Model A world, Steve.
As a corollary to you signature line, "If it needs fixing, fix it"
You're going to get a variety of opinions on this but in my opinion, such things as a spoonful of pepper are OK to get you home, but they are not a permanent fix and are likely to let you down at the worst possible moment. "Fix it right, fix it once."
Old 12-25-2018, 05:16 PM   #4
Steves46

Quote:
Originally Posted by 37 Coupe View Post
I don't have an answer to you radiator issue but do have a couple comments.As soon as I saw your user name I recognized it from the Fordbarn Early V8 forum wher I lived for years but still have my '37 coupe. I too always had the idea to get back into a Model A and did so in August after an owner iterim of 42 years.I bought a '31 roadster and all the different from the V8 issues that came with it.Mine had a pretty bad radiator so I ordered and purchased one from Gary Berg.Also pulled engine to address oil leaks and trans and clutch repair.The Model A guys on this forum are absolutely wonderful with their help and the Model A vendors and parts are so much better than what is available for the V8 Fords and no back ordering.I have wondered since I bought this car if other early V8 guys have made this jump to an older Ford and if so like me wanting to try a more basic car with everything more price reasonable also.Good Luck and I hope I can help as I have learned a ton of info that 5 months ago I actually never knew or remembered from my first roadster at 18 years old 1964. If I would have known just 5 months ago what I know now I would still have bought a '31 roadster but not the one I did buy. If I would have taken a knowledgeable Model A owner with me to inspect car they would probably have talked me out of it with the mechanical work it needed . Lots of cars are listed today a older restoration but this one is way older like 1950's-1960's.
Well how about that! I too recognize you from the early V8 forum; absolutley agree regarding the abundance of parts available the great help the forum members provide. My wife asked if parts would be available and I told her you could practically build a Model A ground up from the catalogs. Best wishes on your 31 roadster.
Old 12-25-2018, 05:18 PM   #5
Steves46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synchro909 View Post
Firstly, welcome to the Model A world, Steve.
As a corollary to you signature line, "If it needs fixing, fix it"
You're going to get a variety of opinions on this but in my opinion, such things as a spoonful of pepper are OK to get you home, but they are not a permanent fix and are likely to let you down at the worst possible moment. "Fix it right, fix it once."
Appreciate it. Pulling the radiator will eventually happen. The funny thing is that it only seaps after its warmed-up. After shut-down and cooling, it stops. I guess I should be thankful in that regard.
Old 12-25-2018, 06:18 PM   #6
BILL WILLIAMSON

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
My Plumber, Martin, can fix your radumator leak. I repaired Minervas' leak by re-soldering the radumator neck seam, with my Dandy Propane Torch! It has adjustments for the Fuel & Air & will heat shifters in a flash! I bent Minervas' shifter 3 TIMES, to get it RIGHT!!! She shifted like a Semi-Automatic!
Bill Tricky
Old 12-25-2018, 06:30 PM   #7
BILL WILLIAMSON

P.S,
I'm trying to doing "humor" again.
After a stroke, I'm lurning to talk again. Memory seems to be intact, even singing the words of Old Country Songs, ones that are imbedded in my brain, and the Rock & Roll songs, from the 50s---Bear with me, as I'm doing this new venture. Soon I'll be doing step by step Model A repairs, Buster T. will help me.
Bill W.
Old 12-25-2018, 07:17 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by BILL WILLIAMSON View Post
P.S,
I'm trying to doing "humor" again.
After a stroke, I'm lurning to talk again. Memory seems to be intact, even singing the words of Old Country Songs, ones that are imbedded in my brain, and the Rock & Roll songs, from the 50s---Bear with me, as I'm doing this new venture. Soon I'll be doing step by step Model A repairs, Buster T. will help me.
Bill W.
Good for you Bill, don't give in, fight your way back to 100%.
1929 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2018, 08:40 PM   #9
30 Closed Cab PU

I've heard the black pepper trick long ago by my deceased father, when I saw him doing it to an old tractor he had. He informed me that it was an old farmer/ truck driver fix. He told me it was an on the road Quick Fix , but not to be relied on. I always wondered what happened to the rest of the pepper not needed/used to stop the leak. just does not seem like a good idea to me. Possible it could cause other issues, make a radiator clog up over time, etc.? Kinda like using Bars stop leak, radiator guy told me that it can float around and eventually clog up the radiator.
You could try to locate the leak, and solder it , if leaks continue to develop, have it professionally repaired, or replace. If radiator pretty old, replacement will provide trouble free fix. Upper radiator coolant hose filter is recommended. If you flush/backflush do radiator and block separately to avoid plugging the radiator. You having experience may already be aware of this info.
30 Closed Cab PU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2018, 09:00 PM   #10
Marcus

Well, Well, My Dear Friend and Fellow Veteran: welcome to the "A" World! Never thought you would part with Ms. Molly, but that looks like a fun toy as a replacement! An incredible source of advice and knowledge on this forum - don't hesitate to tap it!
As you probably know by now, I sold the '31 Slantwindow and the '47" PU, but still have the '29 CCPU (Clyde), and too many other toys...... You and the girls will have great fun with that "A".......
Now: the pepper trick is a short term field expedient: take it to a radiator shop - if the seam is split, it can probably be repaired in the car - if too bad for that, then you have the two obvious choices: total repair out of the car or purchase new.
Merry CHRISTmas, Steve, to you and yours!
Old 12-25-2018, 09:04 PM   #11
JOHN CT

Man I would be happy if that’s the only thing wrong is the radiator . Usually when you buy a old car theirs a list of things wrong. I wouldn’t use pepper. Just replace it now cuz you’re just going to replace it later.
Welcome to the Barn
JOHN CT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2018, 09:20 PM   #12
Steves46

Talking Re: New Model A Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus View Post
Well, Well, My Dear Friend and Fellow Veteran: welcome to the "A" World! Never thought you would part with Ms. Molly, but that looks like a fun toy as a replacement! An incredible source of advice and knowledge on this forum - don't hesitate to tap it!
As you probably know by now, I sold the '31 Slantwindow and the '47" PU, but still have the '29 CCPU (Clyde), and too many other toys...... You and the girls will have great fun with that "A".......
Now: the pepper trick is a short term field expedient: take it to a radiator shop - if the seam is split, it can probably be repaired in the car - if too bad for that, then you have the two obvious choices: total repair out of the car or purchase new.
Merry CHRISTmas, Steve, to you and yours!
Hi Marcus and Merry Christmas to Margretha and you! Yes, it was tough decision but the good thing is that I will get to see the 46 from time-to-time since a friend is now the owner. I have taken the girls for a ride and they didn't realize how much fun you can have going 45 mph! Since she has the 40 Ford style brakes, I need to adjust them a little bit more for a better stop. Looks like I will stay clear of the pepper and swing by my local radiator shop to see if a bead of solder will square things away.
Old 12-25-2018, 09:53 PM   #13
Hoovercw

Pet evaporated milk. Google it. Worked for me. No, I wasn't going to fix my current radiator properly because it is a two row and why waste the money on a radiator that will never cope with summer heat. Saving for the proper replacement.
Hoovercw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2018, 10:27 PM   #14
Chuck Sea/Tac

I hit a deer in the butt with my dads one year old 1966 rambler wagon. I put a whole can in and drove twenty miles home. After repairs, the heater had to be replaced as it was totally plugged.
Chuck Sea/Tac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2018, 07:53 AM   #15
BILL WILLIAMSON

I like Black Pepper on Vanilla Ice Cream!
Bill Odd
Old 12-26-2018, 10:55 AM   #16
Badpuppy

Bill ReallyOdd is back!!
Badpuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2018, 11:53 AM   #17
1930artdeco

Steves46 Welcome! If you replace use the frame from the original radiator and just get a new core made up.

Mike