Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-21-2019, 10:40 AM   #1
Mulletwagon

Default New Guy

Been taking Fords apart for over 50 years but am new to the Model A world. Thinking there will be a Tudor in my future. Is there a best model year for parts/maintenance/restoration/popularity or is selection strictly subjective ? Like the styling of 30/31 but appreciate the historical significance of 28/29. Welcome opinions. Thanks.
Mulletwagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2019, 10:46 AM   #2
abachman3

Default Re: New Guy

Essentially they are all the same running gear. Body changed but otherwise mechanically there are similar. Find one that you like in your price range and I'm sure you will be happy with it.
abachman3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2019, 11:26 AM   #3
47Monarch

Hi there
From East coast Canada
From one new guy to another .
47Monarch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2019, 11:37 AM   #4
Gary WA

Welcome Back!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 02.jpg (76.3 KB, 20 views)
Old 01-21-2019, 11:50 AM   #5
Jim/GA

I agree with comments above, with a few exceptions (below).

The Tudor Sedan was the most popular body style when these cars were new. The door is a bit wider, which helps with getting in and out. Everyone sits comfortably inside, out of the wind and rain. Kids can't fall out if they sit in the back. And because they were the most popular body style made when the cars were new, there are a lot of them available today, which makes them about the most affordable model today (among cars in comparable condition).

Depending on your height and weight, there are a few models that you might want to avoid. The roadsters, phaetons and pickup tricks are all pretty tight to get into and to drive. If you are big around, you may be uncomfortable behind the wheel. In a Tudor Sedan you can move the seat back to get more room.

I have found that a good body style for a very tall person is the Slant Windshield Town Sedan. They are spacious and you can move the bench seat back pretty far, if needed.

Definitely test drive anything before buying. Make sure you can get your foot from gas to brake when the gear shift lever is in 1st gear position (the tightest spot).

My only other comment about the various body styles is that many of them (the Fordor Sedans, for sure, the Cabriolet, the DeLuxe Phaeton) have a LOT of wood inside the body with a metal skin over it. If this wood is at all rotten or not tight, it can be a very big restoration job. Look at the how well the doors line up to the body, look for sag in the body, look for signs of the wood not supporting the body well. These all warn you that the wood is no longer doing what it is supposed to do.

There's really no difference in mechanical maintenance between all the body styles, but body and wood integrity and the effort to restore them does vary.

Have fun, and welcome!

Jim/GA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2019, 03:30 PM   #6
burner31

The Slant Windshield Town Sedan as stated above...but good luck finding one.
Get the car that YOU like...and you can't go wrong.
And welcome to the Barn
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 304595.jpg (24.3 KB, 63 views)
burner31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2019, 05:22 PM   #7
sphanna

I would like to offer a suggestion: The 28/29 models have a couple of things to be aware of. First the 28/29 wheel rims are harder to find in good shape. Interior rust out is common. Second, I think the 2 tooth steering box in the 30/31 is superior to the 29/29 -7 tooth. The 2 tooth can be adjusted for wear as the 7 cannot.
Old 01-21-2019, 05:30 PM   #8
Jim/GA

^^^^^
true!
Jim/GA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2019, 06:29 PM   #9
loubob

Welcome.
My personal preference are the '30-'31's.
Sit in some diff. body styles to see how it feels.
Take your time. Bring someone with you that knows 'A's" if possible.
Write down any questions you want to ask the seller.
loubob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2019, 08:54 PM   #10
Jacksonlll

Send a message via ICQ to Jacksonlll

There are a ton of A’s out there. Don’t fall in love with the first one you see.
Jacksonlll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2019, 09:25 PM   #11
Charlie Stephens

Start by putting your general location in your profile. You can never tell when it will help. Go to swap meets and shows and look around for a while. Maybe with a wanted sign on your back. If I thought you lived close I would clue you in to upcoming events that you should attend.

Charlie Stephens
Charlie Stephens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2019, 09:47 PM   #12
midgetracer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sphanna View Post
I would like to offer a suggestion: The 28/29 models have a couple of things to be aware of. First the 28/29 wheel rims are harder to find in good shape. Interior rust out is common. Second, I think the 2 tooth steering box in the 30/31 is superior to the 29/29 -7 tooth. The 2 tooth can be adjusted for wear as the 7 cannot.
You can put a 29 two tooth in place of a 7 tooth.
midgetracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 07:30 AM   #13
chap52

Welcome aboard. I had a 52 F1 for over 14 years and for the last few years got the itch to go to a Model A. Well when a buyer came along for the truck I was ready to seek out my dream A.
I settled for a 30 Tudor because of many of the reasons listed above and due to my being 6'4" I needed a car that I could relocate the drivers seat back beyond where the extended brackets would take it.
The timing was right as I found a sweet 30 back in Virginia (I am in Arizona). Priced right, felt right and all the ducks fell into place for the purchase. Buying from afar can be a bit scary but it just "felt right." The transport picked the car up on a Friday and the next Sunday it was in front of my AZ home. Nicer than I anticipated and well cared for.
I have had it since November and still can't get the smile off of my face whether I am driving it or just tinkering on it.
Good luck in your search, get the car "YOU ARE LOOKING FOR". and don't forget to tap into the knowledge on this site. Enjoy the adventure, Chap
chap52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 08:20 AM   #14
Jacksonlll

Send a message via ICQ to Jacksonlll

Chap, what a nice note about your new A. Whenever I walk into my garage and look at my A, I have to smile. Have fun. jack
Jacksonlll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 05:28 PM   #15
Flathead

I like 30-31 style but be aware that late 31 with indented firewall does not have a fuel shut off inside the vehicle. I like to shut off the fuel when I walk away and opening the hood every time would be a pain. Just my opinion, others may disagree.
Flathead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 03:14 AM   #16
burner31

So true about the gas shut-off Flathead, but I learned to adjust, now it's just a habit to get under the hood after the day's driving.
No need to shut it off at the store or restaurant or anything like that, just when I put her up for the night.
burner31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 05:46 AM   #17
Synchro909

Quote:
Originally Posted by midgetracer View Post
You can put a 29 two tooth in place of a 7 tooth.
NO, Not on a RHD car anyway. The steering box and the carby try to occupy the same space. Typically poor Henry RHD designing.
Old 01-23-2019, 08:25 AM   #18
pgerhardt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim/TX/GA View Post
Make sure you can get your foot from gas to brake when the gear shift lever is in 1st gear position (the tightest spot)
If you find this to be a problem look carefully at the shift lever. You will most certainly find it bent slightly toward the driver's side, trapping your knee under the steering wheel. This will not be solved by moving the seat back, but a little force to bend the shift lever (they bend quite easily) back toward the passenger side will allow your knee to pass between the steering wheel and shift lever, solving the problem in seconds.

Last edited by pgerhardt; 01-23-2019 at 08:32 AM.
pgerhardt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 08:31 AM   #19
pgerhardt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flathead View Post
I like 30-31 style but be aware that late 31 with indented firewall does not have a fuel shut off inside the vehicle. I like to shut off the fuel when I walk away and opening the hood every time would be a pain. Just my opinion, others may disagree.
I have a 29, but have to open the hood anyway to shut off the main power switch which is mounted near the starter. It's a little bit of a pain, but relieves any concern of an electrical short/fire, and it is a great anti-theft deterrent!
pgerhardt is offline   Reply With Quote