Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-21-2019, 12:12 PM   #1
Pilotdave

Default Electric Wiper Questions

I'm playing with a 6v Heinz Model 1 wiper unit and am hoping for some advice on two things:

1. Initially the motor didn't run. The commutator slots were clogged. I gently cleaned the slots using a small screwdriver. I tested the motor with no load and with the cover removed. It runs but I see small orange sparks at both brushes as the commutator spins. Is the sparking normal? If not, how would I correct it?

2. The motor drives several gears - what type of grease would be best to lube the gears?

Thanks much.
Dave

Last edited by Pilotdave; 01-21-2019 at 01:42 PM.
Pilotdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2019, 12:23 PM   #2
ryanheacox

Default Re: Electric Wiper Questions

I would say the sparking is normal as long as it isn't excessive. Small orange sparks sound okay to me.

As for grease I'd think something light but thick enough to cling to the gears. My first thought was grease designed for the small gears in model railroad locomotives.

Maybe this? https://labelle-lubricants.com/shop/...ase-with-ptfe/
ryanheacox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2019, 01:40 PM   #3
DHZIEMAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilotdave View Post
I'm playing with a 6v Heinz Model 1 wiper unit and am hoping for some advice on two things:

1. Initially the motor didn't run. The armature slots were clogged. I gently cleaned the slots using a small screwdriver. I tested the motor with no load and with the cover removed. It runs but I see small orange sparks at both brushes as the armature spins. Is the sparking normal? If not, how would I correct it?

2. The motor drives several gears - what type of grease would be best to lube the gears?

Thanks much.
Dave
I rebuilt another brand motor! On the gear parts, I used vaseline! So far it has been working fine!
DHZIEMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2019, 01:46 PM   #4
Pilotdave

Thanks, guys. Vaseline I have in stock!! BTW, I've corrected my original post as I think it should have referred to the"commutator" rather than the "armature".

I've been doing a little research elsewhere online - saw that scratches on the commutator surface may cause sparking. I'm suspecting that I might have scratched it when I cleaned the slots. Will investigate and carefully buff the surface.
Old 01-21-2019, 01:54 PM   #5
ryanheacox

Really overthought that one.. vaseline would probably be perfect!
Old 01-21-2019, 06:29 PM   #6
BILL WILLIAMSON

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanheacox View Post
Really overthought that one.. vaseline would probably be perfect!
Chief would say, "If it won't fit, use Vaseline"
Bill W.
Old 01-21-2019, 06:42 PM   #7
California Travieso

Send a message via Yahoo to California Travieso

Quote:
Originally Posted by BILL WILLIAMSON View Post
Chief would say, "If it won't fit, use Vaseline"
Bill W.
Wow, you're on the way to recovery Bill. Glad you're feeling better.

David Serrano
California Travieso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 08:03 AM   #8
BILL WILLIAMSON

Quote:
Originally Posted by California Travieso View Post
Wow, you're on the way to recovery Bill. Glad you're feeling better.

David Serrano
David,
It's the shits, when you have to learn to TALK, again!!!---BUT, it's going good. I practice on the Dog!
Bill Babbling
Old 01-22-2019, 02:45 PM   #9
1931 flamingo

Nice to see you posting again Bill .
Paul in CT
1931 flamingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 03:48 PM   #10
Smooth_One

Quote:
Originally Posted by BILL WILLIAMSON View Post
David,
It's the shits, when you have to learn to TALK, again!!!---BUT, it's going good. I practice on the Dog!
Bill Babbling

Good to hear from you again Bill!!

Now if the dog talks back then we've got problems...
Old 01-22-2019, 08:23 PM   #11
BILL WILLIAMSON

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smooth_One View Post
Good to hear from you again Bill!!

Now if the dog talks back then we've got problems...
He talks in his own ways. I can interpret his moves & know what he is "saying"---He's an AMAZING Dog, BUT, he will NEVER play ball----LOL
Bill W.
Old 01-23-2019, 09:05 AM   #12
pgerhardt

Quote:

1. Initially the motor didn't run. The commutator slots were clogged. I gently cleaned the slots using a small screwdriver. I tested the motor with no load and with the cover removed. It runs but I see small orange sparks at both brushes as the commutator spins. Is the sparking normal? If not, how would I correct it?

Thanks much.
Dave
I am glad to see you are going through the trouble of getting your electric wiper going. Not many do. The next time you are at a show look at all the model A's that should have electric wipers, and you will find few that still do. Here is a tip: I found that the ground to the windshield frame was not reliable even though it was paint free, and I use a "star" lock washer. I ran a separate ground wire down to the body, and mine has been a rock solid performer ever since. It is very nice to have a wiper that doesn't slow down or stop when accelerating or going up hill!
pgerhardt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 10:44 AM   #13
DHZIEMAN

Quote:
Thanks, guys. Vaseline I have in stock!! BTW, I've corrected my original post as I think it should have referred to the"commutator" rather than the "armature".

I've been doing a little research elsewhere online - saw that scratches on the commutator surface may cause sparking. I'm suspecting that I might have scratched it when I cleaned the slots. Will investigate and carefully buff the surface.
What I did on my wiper motor clean up, on the commutator, is I did not use any kind of sandpaper on the commutator, I used a clean new metal file and gently cleaned it up. Mine was level and just dirty from sitting. I then undercut the commutator insulators after cleaning the copper part, then washed everything with parts cleaner and then Alcohol. I actually made a small jig to hold the armature so I could turn it, holding the file on it. Worked perfect! Take your time!
Old 01-23-2019, 01:49 PM   #14
ryanheacox

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgerhardt View Post
I am glad to see you are going through the trouble of getting your electric wiper going. Not many do. The next time you are at a show look at all the model A's that should have electric wipers, and you will find few that still do. Here is a tip: I found that the ground to the windshield frame was not reliable even though it was paint free, and I use a "star" lock washer. I ran a separate ground wire down to the body, and mine has been a rock solid performer ever since. It is very nice to have a wiper that doesn't slow down or stop when accelerating or going up hill!
The fact that the motor is mounted with rubber insulators doesn't help much either.

Mine works pretty well but only when the windshield is closed, must be a grounding issue. But then why would you run your wiper with the windshield open
Old 01-23-2019, 06:30 PM   #15
Pilotdave

I appreciate the grounding and commutator clean-up suggestions, guys. I have been reluctant to remove the commutator but have concluded that I ought to do so. Any tips? And one question: how exactly does one "undercut the commutator insulators"? Thanks again!
Old 01-24-2019, 09:14 AM   #16
DHZIEMAN

Quote:
I appreciate the grounding and commutator clean-up suggestions, guys. I have been reluctant to remove the commutator but have concluded that I ought to do so. Any tips? And one question: how exactly does one "undercut the commutator insulators"? Thanks again!
Undercutting! My motor situation was one of more cleaning between copper segments, rather than undercutting. So in my comments, I used the wrong word What I used to accomplish that was an old hack saw blade that I cut down to the right width to assure there was no copper flakes or copper shorting between each bar. Actual undercutting equipment as I remember, even small manual devices are expensive and are available for larger commutators. If you do all you can to assure no copper between commutator segments and then install all parts and brushes and the motor runs without sparks at the brushes, you should be fine.
Old 01-24-2019, 10:16 PM   #17
Pilotdave

DHZIEMAN - thanks for the explanation. I think I've got it, by gar!

Dave