Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-09-2013, 09:15 PM   #101
B-O-B

Default Re: Yes, they are still out there!!!

Should you follow Seth's suggestion ground or disconnect the coil.
B-O-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 09:40 PM   #102
Seth Swoboda

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-O-B View Post
Should you follow Seth's suggestion ground or disconnect the coil.
Yes, keep the ignition switch in the "OFF" position when bumping the crank around. With the cap off there is no chance of the engine trying to fire.
Seth Swoboda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 08:01 PM   #103
Bruce in southern OH

Took the front end off of car this morning,grill, radiator, removed crank nut, removed pulley, and removed timing gear cover, GREAT NEWS, everything looked good. So with this said we re-assembled the front, played with the distributor and found that you could place the distributor on in both positions, I know it is not supposed to do that, but it will, remember I removed and installed another distributor and made the mistake twice?? Now, with the front end off we looked at the cam offset wide side and small side, matched up with distributor. Bolted distributor back in place and hooked up the gas, power and and the engine ran after setting for 29/30 years, GREAT NEWS!! It was a timing problem, but self inflicted, Don says he told me to check distributor or it would break off the ears of distributor, I checked ONE HUNDRED times, he said the told me a THOUSAND times not to exaggerate!!!! THANKS EVERYONE

GOT THE CAR RUNNING, HERE IS A SHORT VIDEO!!! Click on You-Tube Link.
http://youtu.be/SCkg22MUFEo
Bruce in southern OH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 08:24 AM   #104
Seth Swoboda

Well done Bruce, glad to see you have it running.
Seth Swoboda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 08:46 AM   #105
Gumpy

[IBruce_

the motor sounds good like a flattie should![/I]
"I believe God is managing affairs and that He doesn't need any advice from me. With God in Charge, I believe everything will work out for the best in the end. So what is there to worry about". Quote by Henry Ford
Gumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 08:51 AM   #106
jim1932

WOW, you must be from DEEEEEEP Southern Ohio.....
Old 04-12-2013, 10:51 AM   #107
Mart

Glad you found the problem.

The engine mounts look a bit odd, though, on my 33 I used the mounts from the kit but did not try to use the big cup washers as the frame already has the cup shape as part of the mount. They certainly shouldn't be on top like it looks in your pic.

Great car, keep up the good work.

Mart.

Mart.
Mart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 12:29 PM   #108
Bruce in southern OH

Mart, the cross member on the 34 I have is not flat, ( I do have a 33 BB that is ) anyway the original mounts as I have found out are not like repo's sold by the one big supply house that furnishes to all of our vendor's. The new repo's have to have the lower bushing shoulder cut off because on a 34 the hole in cross member again is different, small hole. Next the new mounts are flat (old ones cone shaped) if you use the bottom washer as a bottom washer you would be spanning a recess in frame. To eliminate this problem all you have to do is invert the new mounts and use the "special washer" which is just a large fender washer with 3/8" hole in it. The original style motor mounts have a steel band around the rubber to help keep it from flatting/spreading out. This is the best fix with the new motor mounds, lines up with lower radiator hose connections, had to work with what we get now. Have been told that there are NOS ones around for a small phenomenal FEE! Told by some that back in the day, oak with a hole drilled in it would last forever, poor men with good ways.
Old front motor mounts beside new motor mounts.
Old 04-14-2013, 08:46 PM   #109
Bruce in southern OH

Don and I took apart the horns on Friday, we applied 6 volts to horns, wire brushed, media blasted and could get them to make a horn sound, but they had been messed with in past life and just was not right. We also took apart the head light buckets and Don was going to polish up, I ordered some parts for head lights, clips, and latches on Friday, I left about 5PM. Later he called and said he went back out and had them both working.
Today Don worked on the horns and head light buckets. He found that both diaphragms are split. DOES anyone have or know of replacement Diaphragms for the horns????? Also, in previous life some one drilled head light buckets and put a sheet metal screw in bucket to fender with wire to ground them!!!!! Do you think best to spot weld little hole back up?? All photos were taken by Don P. today as he worked on the parts and pieces, thanks as always DON, Bruce
Horn parts and some new horn bells and covers I got from man in Cleveland area.

Old horn bells and horn

Head light buckets with sheet metal screw hole

Bad clip

New clip
Old 04-22-2013, 06:02 PM   #110
Bruce in southern OH

Working on the removal of gas tank, removing the gas tank cover and have to try and get the 1/4" bolts that are froze, cannot grind or cut with torch because of fuels, metal is very thin and rusty, any advice in bolt removal, appreciated, thanks Bruce
Old 05-18-2013, 04:49 PM   #111
Bruce in southern OH

Removed exhaust manifold this morning, two bolts near firewall, one broke off in block, the two middle bolts came out fine, the front two I had to cut head of bolts off which left something to try and get a bolt extractor on, then I pulled steering box out of frame and up between pedals, now to clean up and take apart, so with that said, you have to remove exhaust manifold to get steering box out, thanks Bruce
Old 05-19-2013, 08:30 AM   #112
KGS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce in southern OH View Post
Removed exhaust manifold this morning, two bolts near firewall, one broke off in block, the two middle bolts came out fine, the front two I had to cut head of bolts off which left something to try and get a bolt extractor on, then I pulled steering box out of frame and up between pedals, now to clean up and take apart, so with that said, you have to remove exhaust manifold to get steering box out, thanks Bruce
Bruce, This may help in removing those broken/cut off bolts.

http://www.fordgarage.com/pages/studremoval.htm
KGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 07:33 AM   #113
Bruce in southern OH

Milt K. had asked how was doing working on car, just waiting on a pair of gussets from Mac's (couple of weeks now!) so I can install new gas tank. Re-installed the head lights after Don cleaning up, fabricated parts and polishing the head light buckets. Also, Don got horns re-assembled and I installed and then removed until last as not to mess them up. I received the front bumper brackets and installed over weekend. Placed one of the newer used chrome bumpers on car that I purchased, looks good, will have to remove the bumper brackets now that I have them lining up correctly and paint (need bumper bolts. Also, I removed the steering column so I could clean it up and install a new upper bushing in column, (moves due to bad bushing). I am taking column down to Don Preston's home tomorrow and we will remove steering wheel, tube and look at problem. To get steering column off I had to remove the exhaust manifold, this was a JOB! I did as you know get manifold off, but had to cut the two front bolts heads off, got those two out last evening, really came out easy with small pipe wrench, the problem now is the one bolt that broke off in block in the rear, will have to find a small wire welder to weld washer to small piece of bolt that is still out of block (about a quarter inch) then a nut to washer so I can turn out. Also, last evening I am trying to make the passenger side rear bumper bracket match the drivers side bracket, it was bent, and the old bumper was bent to match. Getting closer but will continue today to correct, will have to heat up and put in press or vise, wiring needs completed after I get steering column fixed, battery box needs straighten up. Gas line installed, you name it I need to clean or correct!! thanks for asking and keep after me, Bruce in southern OHIO

Old 05-22-2013, 08:50 AM   #114
Bruce in southern OH

Corrected the bumper brackets, thanks everyone for help,

Will need a lot of info as I go, did purchase the Early V8 - 1933/34 book, just have to do more research, Bruce
Old 05-22-2013, 11:03 AM   #115
jerry grayson

Bruce
This is a VERY nice car and you are lucky to have found it! Several points: It seems that with some parts you are looking for originality and with others you are not. You have a 37 engine, (as you may know), the fuel pump stand is incorrect for 34, the water pumps are 36, heads should be aluminum, fuel pump is a 47, carburetor is a 36 and others have told you about the motor mounts. You say that you are installing a new gas tank and with this you may not be able to use your original gas gauge. I am not being critical and your car will be a great driver just as it is!!
jerry grayson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 03:04 PM   #116
Bruce in southern OH

Jerry, the motor was changed in 1978(found a note on back of enevolope in glove box), have the orginal 34 engine and transmission, will have to look again at fuel pump stand ( it was on the engine ) send me information on correct one, have the re-buildt model 48 carburetor "with out at the 48 logo" from Ken also, you will have to take up the fuel pump problem with Ken of Ct.,it is supposed to be the correct fuel pump. I have a replaced the 1947 fuel pumps on 47 cars and they have a glass bowl. Tank will accept the old fuel pickup and I have found with my 41 pickup that nothing will run long on rust or water. I did take steering column out to replace the upper and lower bushing so I can make a driver, "safe driver". Motor mounts are another question, the ones I installed are what is on the market, if I place the new ones beside the old ones, they do measure the same, and now the motor is setting correctly in front cross member. NOW for everyone reading this, I appreciate your reply Jerry, I take the message like you wrote it, just good V8 people looking at another V8 car. I will get car so soon I can get the car on road, I have not got to drop the car in gear yet and let it pull me along, just been pulled by my son and 4-wheeler to garage. Have several V8er's sending me information about 34's, now I hope you will be an additional source of information, thank you again and glad you posted reply, Bruce
Old 05-23-2013, 06:45 PM   #117
Bruce in southern OH

Jerry, thought I got a 34 fuel pump, because I told him what I was restoring/fixing up, NOPE. You are correct, have some nice photos, will try and do my little part. Will look for parts as I go, thanks Bruce
Thanks Milt for photo's
Old 06-14-2013, 06:02 AM   #118
Bruce in southern OH

Been working on the rear end, drain old oil from rear end, clean up, working on the brakes and free up all brake parts.

Removed two of the rear shocks, this is so I can install the two gussets with new cage nuts, after they are installed new gas tank.

Removed the brake/clutch pedal assembly and cleaned up, will have to get the bushing so I can correct play, also removed and cleaned up the steering column and installed new top bushing in column, lots of grease and crud. Made a "special washer" that was used to beef up frame, this made the bolts make up correctly. Always appreciate Fordbarns viewing and making comments on what to do and correct.

Old 06-17-2013, 02:32 AM   #119
Bruce in southern OH

Removed the front end, remove old grease and undercoating first. Next go through the brakes and check, also install new teflon parts in the drag link and tie rod ends, everything greasy and a full of grit,

Old 06-17-2013, 03:19 AM   #120
Vics Stuff

Real nice find there. Was worth the effort and waite ?
Vics Stuff is offline   Reply With Quote