Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-27-2014, 01:00 AM   #11
larrys40

Default Re: how can we get the youth to be come involed in our hobby?

To you younger guys... I'm glad you're here and out there, modified cars or not. I am 53 now and joined our group when I was 18 just out of high school. I was fortunate enough to have a mentor ( my friend and since past Terry Oberer) in our group... but one of the other long time members then told me... "son, this isn't for you.... you need to go someplace else"..... I will never forget that I thought... you know... I might outlive him... and of course I did. I had to have a little bit of a hard shell but then keep the focus on the desire of the love of the cars and enjoying them and getting my '30 Tudor done. That was 36 years ago. We all have to keep in mind, young or old, we are just caretakers of these fine cars, parts, tools, whatever the case may be. It's up to us to keep the interest alive to others so we have someone to pass it too that will long for it and appreciate them and care for them (and someone to sell them too).

I have thoroughly enjoyed working on them, driving them, and touring with friends I've met all over the country. The Model A folks are the best..... and a breed of their own. It's universal comradere anywhere to just talk about them.

What to do about getting more your involved:
1. I think both the national clubs have done a great job. Ever attended a V8 National... there are no youth.... so trust me.. the "A" folks have always been working at it. I think we need to do more from the local club perspectives to get kids invlolved in the schools. Like some have said, visits.. even Cub & Boy scout troops are good sources to visit.

2. Get your local club to do car shows in force... and hand out membership applications

3. Stockers might not feel like they fit in the local hot rod car cruise but guess what...
I found a young fellow close to me that came in with a '
31 Tudor..... he had a problem... and I said I'm 5-minutes away..... we've been friends since and I am always glad to help him. By the way.. he is mechanically awesome and better at it than many of the other guys in our group.

4. Drive your cars.... the more they are out, the more they are seen. You will enjoy them more as well.

5. I think the national groups should have reduced " Youth Registration costs" for those under 21. Like no registration fee and reduced accomodations if possible for those who may need some assistance. Do something special to get them to the meets. Recognize all those under 35 at the meets...

6. Set a goal for each local region to recruit 2 youth members each year. Of course more is better.

These are just a few suggestions... there are many more..... It is incumbent upon us as caretakers to do our part. Model A folks are friendly by nature... so a little extra here and there should be easy. Get creative, individually and as your local groups.

Larry Shepard
larrys40 is offline   Reply With Quote