Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-25-2012, 01:35 PM   #1
Deuce Man

Default offset generator bracket

Just got around to pulling three head studs out of my flathead, so I could install the longer ones I ordered a while back. Much to my disappointment, when I opened the package it was just three pieces of coarse all thread cut to length [junk]. Does anyone have a source for proper coarse on the bottom, fine on top studs with cut threads not rolled threads. In other words just like henry used, only longer?
maybe a part # even? Thanks Rich
Deuce Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2016, 11:20 PM   #2
drolston

Default Re: offset generator bracket

Same problem on 59A/B in my '41 coupe. Could not find studs with the right length to mount the Offy offset bracket. Went to cap screws of the correct hardness from Fastenal. Even then the length was not exactly right; had to go to three washers to get the right amount of thread into the block, without bottoming out. Once mounted I was surprised to discover that pulley alignment was way off. The generator bracket was 3/8" too far aft . Evidently that is the difference in pulley geometry between the intake manifold mounted fan on '46 to '48, versus the crank mounted fan on my '41. Had to shim the generator forward with a piece of plywood. The plan is to fabricate a more proper metal shim, but the plywood has done the trick just fine for two years. I wonder if there is a proper bracket for a '41?
drolston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2016, 11:46 PM   #3
Cool Kat with Hot Car

Default Re: offset generator bracket

Another way to approach this is to use the original studs with coupler nuts. A bolt through the bracket or a stud screwed into the coupler nut can be used to secure the bracket. You would not have to remove the original studs.
Cool Kat with Hot Car is offline   Reply With Quote