Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-03-2016, 04:34 PM   #1
EZDriver

Question Oil gallery modification

My 29 Special Coupe I find has had a modification in the oil supply gallery where the valve springs are located. I decided to inspect the bottom end of the engine and oil gallery for any gunk build up. Both appear normal for the driving I have done over the years which is not much driving. But looking at the front of the oil gallery I find a hole that lets oil flow from the gallery to the timing gear area. This hole has been modified. During an overhaul in the past someone lowered the bottom of the hole by cutting away some material. This will lower the level of the oil in this front sump. By running a straight edge along the top of the front dam it looks like the bottom of this hole is 0.2 inches lower than that straight edge.

My question is, why would someone make such a modification and isn't that mod cutting down on the amount of oil flowing to the other two oil bays.

I have a picture of this but don't know how to send it being a new member.

I hope I explained this well enough.

Thanks guys.
EZDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2016, 04:49 PM   #2
Ray in La Mesa

Default Re: Oil gallery modification

I believe you are referring to the rough broken out casting hole right behind the timing gear. If so, the hole is factory but you noticed the bottom had been lowered a bit. I don't think .2" would make any difference as there is still enough depth of the oil pool to feed the front main tube, but you could JB Weld it back up to height if you want.
Ray in La Mesa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2016, 06:19 PM   #3
EZDriver

Yes, there would be plenty of oil for the front bearing. But, that lowering of oil in that chamber would reduce the amount of oil flowing over the dam to the second and third chambers, wouldn't it.

You mentioned something that may explain things. You said rough broken out hole. Maybe this is the was it was made from the factory. It is quite rough and appears to have some small drill hole along the bottom edge. It would be nice to see what another one looks like.

My concern is starvation of oil at the center and aft main bearings.

Last edited by EZDriver; 07-03-2016 at 07:21 PM.
EZDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2016, 08:48 PM   #4
1930artdeco

EZ, the engine sits at a 3 degree angle tilted back (if I remember right) so the main and rear bearing will be fine. To post a picture, go to advanced, then scroll down to 'manage attachments'. click on that and a small window will pop up that is where you upload your pictures.

Mike
Old 07-04-2016, 12:59 AM   #5
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

I read that the A pump puts out something like 8 gals a minute at 2000 RPM. That's like 2 cups a second. I would not worry.
Old 07-04-2016, 01:43 AM   #6
Chuck Sea/Tac

There was an article in the restorer, I believe, that the authors thought Henry had screwed up with that front dam,so they advocated lowering it.i would guess at least 5 years ago,probably more.
Chuck Sea/Tac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2016, 08:13 AM   #7
Special Coupe Frank

I was going-over the block of a "diamond" engine before sending it to the machine shop, and noticed that the hole between the front of the valve gallery and the timing case looked pretty ragged.

It also did not appear that much ( if any ) time was spend dressing the edges to clean-up casting flash, particularly the lower edge of the hole.

I spent a little time with a file, neatening things up. Didn't really lower the bottom edge, just took the "teeth" off it.

Frank
Special Coupe Frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2016, 10:40 AM   #8
Steve Plucker
BANNED

If you wish, please review this article on the changes within the Model A Ford engine block (and outside).

http://www.plucks329s.org/pdf/engine...ESCRIPTION.pdf

It may or may not help you with your question.

Pluck

Last edited by Steve Plucker; 07-04-2016 at 10:49 AM.
Steve Plucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2016, 10:52 AM   #9
Steve Plucker
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck Sea/Tac View Post
There was an article in the restorer, I believe, that the authors thought Henry had screwed up with that front dam,so they advocated lowering it.i would guess at least 5 years ago,probably more.
See above:

The following study/guide is an update from an article that appeared in the May-June, 2003 issue
of Model A News titled “The Evolution of the Model “A” Ford Cylinder Block, A-6010”.
The
“Cylinder Block”, however, itself, is actually A-6015! A-6010, Cylinder, not only includes the block
but also the cylinder oil hole plug, cylinder head studs, cylinder head nuts, exhaust and intake
manifold studs, manifold stud nuts, manifold clamps, manifold glands, and manifold gaskets
according to the Part’s Price Lists.

Pluck
Steve Plucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2016, 10:55 AM   #10
Ron W

Oil does not need to go over the first dam. If you look at the cover you will see that oil can go around the dam and into the middle chamber. Ron W
Ron W is offline   Reply With Quote