Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-11-2011, 08:15 PM   #1
Ken/Alabama

Default Just plain ol friendly advise

My newly aquired 40 needed a new fuel hose,the one from the firewall to the pump suction, so I looked through my parts bin and found I had a couple of new ones so I replaced it and all is good. Three days later I decided to take it for a spin, didnt make it out of the driveway and the engine died. Would not restart, getting no gas to the carb. Upon closer examination I noticed the new fuel hose had come apart,the rubber hose came out of the crimped brass fitting. Now this isnt the end of the world because we know that the hose is on the suction side of the pump and it just causes your engine to stop running. But for you guys thats running an electric fuel pump this can be devastating because its now on the discharge side of the pump and will pump gas all over a hot flathead . I went and ordered 4 of the new hoses that Robert Shewman advertises in the V-8 Times with a 5 year guarantee. These hoses are top notch and cheap insurance. Dont trust those off shore made hoses.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 0910011540.jpg (18.6 KB, 67 views)
File Type: jpg 0910011540a.jpg (19.2 KB, 50 views)
Ken/Alabama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 08:23 PM   #2
Shadetree

Default Re: Just plain ol friendly advise

Ken,
I have one of his hoses with a check valve. Great product!

Shadetree
Old 09-11-2011, 08:34 PM   #3
Strick

i experienced the same thing a couple of months ago. that was the 2nd flex fuel line to come apart that way in the last 2 years. also ordered a new one from Robert Shewman.
Strick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 09:27 PM   #4
Mike in AZ

excellent advice, Ken.....thanks....Mike
Mike in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 09:34 PM   #5
JM 35 Sedan

I got one from George Mitchell when I visited him and Skip almost two years ago. I wasn't having problems with my old hose but had been hearing horror stories about what this new gas was doing to old rubber parts. I decided to put the new hose on when I got back home. After hearing about all these recent hose failures I'm glad I made the switch. These hoses from Shewman are well made in the USA parts that use modern fuel injection hose material that does not deteriorate in the presence of alcohol.

"Never give up on what you really want to do. The person with big dreams is more powerful than one with all the facts". Albert Einstein
JM 35 Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 09:02 AM   #6
G.M.

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
John the material Bob uses is much better than the material used in modern fuel injection hoses which I had failures with. His inner liner is Teflon and if you look up the properties of Teflon you will find there is only two things out of hundreds of solvent etc that had problems with Teflon. One was mayonnaise machines filling small bags and the other was in the lines supplying ink in printers??? I figure the small lines got clogged from not being flushed when shut down. Bobs email is [email protected] and his phone # is 1-610-933-6637. G.M.
Old 09-12-2011, 09:19 AM   #7
JM 35 Sedan

George, thanks for the correction/clarification on the hose material. I knew it was made of something good but must have misread some previous info.
I'm hoping I don't get any mayonnaise or ink in my hose.....that darn stuff will clog it every time!! LOL

"Never give up on what you really want to do. The person with big dreams is more powerful than one with all the facts". Albert Einstein
JM 35 Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 10:45 AM   #8
Scott De Shields

Wherever I have flexible fuel line in my system I am using fuel injection hose that has a higher rating against ethanol gas. More expensive but worth it.
Scott De Shields is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 01:27 PM   #9
BobM

What is the reasoning behind using a flex line in that location, am sure Ford had a good reason?
BobM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 01:56 PM   #10
PeteVS

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobM View Post
What is the reasoning behind using a flex line in that location, am sure Ford had a good reason?
The hard line coming up from the tank is solidly fastened to the firewall which is a part of the body which is solidly fastened to the frame. The motor is also fastened to the frame, but all the mounts are primarily rubber allowing the motor to move in relation to the point where the hard line is mounted to the firewall. There has to be something to allow the vibration and movement that takes place there.
Old 09-12-2011, 04:07 PM   #11
G.M.

BobM, There is a long winded discussion ongoing on this forum and comes up every year or so. Some makes of cars back in the teens, 20's and early 30's used fuel lines that went from the tank to the engine all in one piece. The line was clamped to the frame and when the engines RPM's are increased the engine rocks from torque. This slightly bends and flexes the line and causes it to break. As stated by others all metals "work harden", get brittle and will crack and break. The short flex hose from the gas line to the engine was installed to take the bending or flexing. I personaly use steel or copper whichever is around when I need a line. There is no flexing or bending on an early V/8 with the flex hose and proper clamps on the line to keep it ridgid. It can't bend at the tank end and it is clamped to frame and firewall right at the flex hose. I say it's a pesonal choice and I don't see a safty issue or I wouldn't use it. If a judge puts a magnet on the line on a high point car it could cost some points. Even some of these new types of tubes mentioned in other posts may not be magnetic. G.M.
Old 09-12-2011, 04:12 PM   #12
FRANK PKNY

Changed all mine with Bob's one that was replaced was only three months old and was brittle already. Highly recomend Bob's hose's. You don't get hosed!!!
Old 09-12-2011, 06:12 PM   #13
Rebel Sympathy

Advice.
Old 09-12-2011, 06:29 PM   #14
George/Maine

The wet head is dead.With the gas today fuel injection hose would be the better choice.
George/Maine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 05:48 AM   #15
39portlander

Ken, I read his add in the V8 times and you answered my ?'s. Will order mine as well, good post
39portlander is offline   Reply With Quote