Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-06-2013, 12:28 AM   #1
mbacheld

Default 36 Ford Fordor Rear Fenders

Hello all and a Happy New Year,
I have been trying to restore this car for several years. My current problem is that I need to put the fenders back on but I don't have any holes in the wheel wells. In restoring the car the original holes have been lost. Can someone help me with locating the fenders so I can drill new holes?
Mark
mbacheld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 08:41 AM   #2
the man

Default Re: 36 Ford Fordor Rear Fenders

Bolt up your running bords.
the man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 09:36 AM   #3
mbacheld

I have the running boards bolted on but I am not sure for the rest of the fender. How far in at the top should the fender go into the wheel well? Is there some demension that I can use from the center of the fender to lip of the car?
Old 01-06-2013, 09:50 AM   #4
KiWinUS

was the sheetmetal replaced where the fenders bolt to ? or are the holes just covered with body filler ? If its the later , just go inside the car & run a small drill through the caged nut , this will show you where to remove the filler.
good luck !
Cheers
tony
KiWinUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 12:59 PM   #5
mbacheld

Tony,
I had to put in new sheet metal because there wasn't any sheet metal left. I wish I could just drill through from the back side, but I got nothing to reference except one bolt hole on the top drivers side.
Mark
Old 01-06-2013, 01:31 PM   #6
KiWinUS

ok use that 1 bolt hole & the running board , thats a good place to start . Then use that side as a guide for the other side . They will really only fit correctly in 1 position .
KiWinUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 02:24 PM   #7
Bruce/CT

Hi Mark
See if you can find someone with a 36 Fordor Rear fender who will make a manila folder tracing of that area for you. Someone here must have a good one. Sorry, I only have Coupe fenders. They are different from Fordor fenders. Different shape and number of bolts.
Good luck
Bruce/CT
Bruce/CT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 02:39 PM   #8
mbacheld

Bruce,
I appreciate the response. My problem is not with the fender but with the car itself. I guess I will take Tony's suggestion and use what I have for the one side and transfer that to the otherside. Cross your fingers for me guys.
Mark
Old 01-06-2013, 03:38 PM   #9
Charlie ny
BANNED

m,
I had this same situation with a '37. I sure agree that the place to start is
at the running boards. On my '37 I 'worked' the fender up into the reconstructed
quarter and discovered during the reconstruction of the quarters the contours got
a bit lost. That fact plus the fender being a bit springy made the project a bit
of a challenge. I recontoured the quarters a little at a time and continued until the
rear tip of the fender nested where it should in the body.
I did the job with the car on its tires and used the tire as a point of refer-
ence.
Charlie n7
Charlie ny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 04:23 PM   #10
jfcrash

Mark,

As mentioned above, fasten at the running board, that one bolt hole you said you had at the top of the arc, but also use the mounting hole at the lower inside end of the fender which is also used to mount the fender brace to the frame….

Just a thought,

Jim

I couldn't repair the brakes, so I adjusted the horn louder....
jfcrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 05:04 PM   #11
Karl Wescott

If everything actually has the correct shape things should be fairly straightforward.

Start using a carpenters level, level the car from side to side. Then mount the runningboards (finger tight). Then clamp the fenders to the running boards and the back of the body and the fender brackets. Clamp a piece of scrap plywood (or anything else flat) across the wheel opening, then (using the carpenters level against the wheel opening cover) position the fender so the wheel opening is true vertical top to bottom. Make sure everything looks like it fits, fender to body should not have any gaps, and the wheel opening of the fender front and back should be more or less in line with the sides of the running boards. Using the holes in the fender mark the body (magic marker or spray paint works well). Drill, install cage nuts, bolt together and enjoy.
Karl Wescott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 10:07 PM   #12
Django

Where are you located? My Dad has a fordoor body in Indiana with no fenders on that might be a good reference.
Old 01-07-2013, 05:48 AM   #13
Tom Morookian

I have a template that I used to replace the whole top inner section with the bolt holes of my 36 coupe fender. I think the bolt pattern is different for other models and I know the sedan fenders are thinner at the top.

If your a coupe I'll send ya' the template.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg car11-14 047.jpg (51.7 KB, 26 views)
Tom Morookian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 04:13 PM   #14
mbacheld

Tom,
Thanks but I have a Fordor and I found out the hard way that they hole partterns are not the same.
I live in Dearborn MI so I appreciate the offer Django, but it is a little to far. I am always afraid that I will do something wrong so I hesitate, but that doesn't get the car on the road!! Maybe this weekend I can take a look at doing what Karl has suggested and go from there.
Part of my problem is that I have a bad left knee so getting out in the garage and crawling around takes me some motivation. We are hearing about a possible heat wave up here this weekend (40) so hopefully I will get outside and report my progress back on Monday.
Thanks again for all the suggestions,
Mark
Old 01-08-2013, 07:27 AM   #15
danliveshere

Mark you are right , fordors with the boot are different to the fordor flatback. The boot makes for a completely different inner fender. I found out when I tried to install whole inner fenders from a fordor boot model into my phaeton. It's a different shape, wider with the locating holes not in the same place. I have since bought inners from a tudor flatback to fix this once I get some time. I have seen quite a few sedan rear fenders that are slotted to allow for this but didn't realise why until I tried to fit these inners.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2956.jpg (59.3 KB, 6 views)
danliveshere is offline   Reply With Quote