Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-04-2020, 11:39 PM   #1
Nasukau

Default Borg Warner Overdrive Lock Out

Hi All,
I installed a Borg Warner overdrive in my coupe. All that is left is to run the wires and the cable. Currently the lock out is pointed towards the back of the car. Please see the attached picture. My question is if the lock out is in that position am I now considered IN overdrive once the switch is flipped to ON for the solenoid? Or does the lock out need to be in the down position to be considered IN overdrive? I just want to make sure when I run the cable and I push the cable in that I am considered to be IN overdrive. And when i pull the cable out that I am considered OUT of overdrive.

Thanks,
Denny
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 46282622-8BB0-4391-946F-F8C477C4063A.jpg (56.5 KB, 142 views)
Nasukau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2020, 04:19 AM   #2
DBSHELTON

Default Re: Borg Warner Overdrive Lock Out

Watching. I have one ready to go in my car and have the same question.
DBSHELTON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2020, 06:32 AM   #3
Brian SATX

I have the manual for them on PDF format. Give me an email and I will send it.
Old 05-05-2020, 07:40 AM   #4
Mel Gross

If anybody needs to have their Borg Warner overdrive solenoid(s) rebuilt, then let us know as we have been rebuilding them for many years now. We take them apart, clean them, re-assemble and replace parts if necessary, test and then put in new seals and paint. Just need a Saturday to do the job.

Good price and fast service!

Thanks and be safe!

Randy Gross
Send a PM if interested in our service
Mel Gross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2020, 07:55 AM   #5
rotorwrench

Generally they are always pulled out for lockout (lever on unit forward) and push all the way in for overdrive function. The cable would have to come in from the rear to be the other way around.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2020, 09:09 AM   #6
Nasukau

Thanks Rotorwrench. I was thinking the same answer you provided. But I needed someone to confirm it to ease my mind.

Denny
Old 05-05-2020, 09:44 AM   #7
Speedyal

Here is a great article I also have this over drive.
http://www.santaanitaas.org/wp-conte...r-Apr-2005.pdf
http://www.ocmafc.com/techarticles/T...0Overdrive.pdf
Speedyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2020, 09:51 AM   #8
Speedyal

Okay,
You will know you have it engaged when you can free wheel . So with cable pushed in at least on my car if driving down the road you let off gas it will not slow down it will free wheel almost like being in neutral. So if going down the road and engaged by pushing cable in after going into third let off and let engine rpms come down energize the solenoid via toggle switch and will feel like transmission shifted now in overdrive , when want to disengage shut solenoid off. Also Never try and go in reverse with cable down(overdrive engaged ) you can lock it up due to the one way sprag in unit . But read both articles I posted in previous post both have a lot of useful information.
Speedyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2020, 10:17 AM   #9
Nasukau

Thanks for the information Speedyal

Denny
Old 05-05-2020, 12:54 PM   #10
duke36

There was a fellow in Calif. named Bob Bell many years ago who built overdrives and included a lever connected to the shift tower shaft of the A tranny that would automatically lock out the OD when placed in reverse. Perhaps someone has his or other's diagrams how this was done. He also designed a kick down switch placed in the floor board.
duke36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2020, 08:41 PM   #11
KR500

I have worked with a gentleman name Jack Thomas who has installed approximately 75 Borg Warner O.D.s. He would purchase them from a man named Bob Green in Ohio. They would drill the back of the A tranny top into where the shift rail slid back, installed a rod and swivel bracket which when you put the trans in reverse the shift rail activated the swivel bracket which kicked O.D. out of overdrive. Works very well and is fool proof. I have replaced two damaged sun gears and cluster gears which were damaged when O.D. was in overdrive and cars was operated in reverse.
KR500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2020, 06:38 AM   #12
DBSHELTON

Quote:
Originally Posted by KR500 View Post
I have worked with a gentleman name Jack Thomas who has installed approximately 75 Borg Warner O.D.s. He would purchase them from a man named Bob Green in Ohio. They would drill the back of the A tranny top into where the shift rail slid back, installed a rod and swivel bracket which when you put the trans in reverse the shift rail activated the swivel bracket which kicked O.D. out of overdrive. Works very well and is fool proof. I have replaced two damaged sun gears and cluster gears which were damaged when O.D. was in overdrive and cars was operated in reverse.

I would love to know more about this modification.
DBSHELTON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2020, 10:33 AM   #13
duke36

Quote:
That's exactly what Bob Bell did with a 1/4" rod. This was in the 1980's and I forget how he sealed the tranny top hole.
Old 05-11-2020, 10:36 AM   #14
duke36

Quote:
Looked and can't find his drawing.