Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Late V8 (1954+)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-27-2015, 07:58 PM   #1
rick55

Default Shriek horror

Pulled the oilpan off my 55s original Fordo yesterday after almost having to use a cold chisel to separate it from the main case. What did i find? An almost perfect cast impression of the valve body and filter assembly in the bottom of the pan. The oil had turned into a thick smelly jelly like substance that had to be pried off all the surfaces. The car had been parked up for 50 odd years when I got it but I thought at least the trans was good as oil poured out the extension housing when I dropped the tail shaft.
So here I go again having to replace something that hadn't even done 30,000 miles from new. The engine spun a main bearing back in 63 when it only had 27,000 miles on the clock and then sat for years with engine half stripped to fix it. Didn't look like it ever had a service as it was full of gunk too.
So here I go again two steps forward one step back, or should that be the other way around. My friend who has been servicing and reconditioning transmissions for 45 years had never seen a box like this.
I was hoping to put the trans in my oz 58 mainline as I am over changing gears in today's traffic.

1958 Ford Mainline Utility, 1955 Ford Tudor Sedan

Quote:
Anyone who stops learning is old, whether at twenty or eighty. Anyone who keeps learning stays young. The greatest thing in life is to keep your mind young.
Henry Ford
rick55 is offline   Reply With Quote