Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-23-2019, 08:12 AM   #1
alexiskai

Default Recommendations for next chassis grease?

When I got started with my Model A, I picked up a tube of this moly grease from Mike's. It worked fine, but over time oil leaked out the bottom of the gun. I made lemonade out of lemons by hanging it over my C-clamps, which are now well-oiled.

Anyway, I just used the last of that stuff and need more grease. I'd like to get something that's:
  • base-compatible with the moly grease I was using
  • readily available at a place like NAPA
  • not prone to leaking oil

Anyone have a suggestion?
alexiskai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2019, 09:50 AM   #2
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Default Re: Recommendations for next chassis grease?

Maybe the answer comes from answering this first. How good does the grease need to be? What is the true life-expectancy of the item the grease is lubricating? Can quality be overcome by increased frequency of lubrication?

For example, if the spring hanger life-expectancy is 50k miles with frequent servicing intervals of Wal*Mart brand moly lube, -does the life-expectancy change if an aero-designed quality of lube is used instead? If the life-expectancy is increased with the higher quality lube, by how much more? If by 10% - 20%, then I do not see that is as a value.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2019, 10:11 AM   #3
jb-ob

Valvoline H-D Moly Grease AND a roll of paper towels.

I prefer the Valvoline product because it is black....blends in with the chassis.

Paper Towels ?? Clean the grease fitting FIRST so not to push grit into the joint to be greased. Next pump enough fresh grease into the joint to force the dirty, worn stuff out completely. Clean with paper towels so not to collect road dirt & grit around the outside of the joint.

JB
jb-ob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2019, 10:20 AM   #4
redmodelt

My OP. I am not a fan of general purposes Molly type greases. I think they are fine in a sealed environment such as a CVC joint also think they are too thin to really stick around.

While frequent used is good, I like a grease that stays in place a little longer.

For wheel bearings and chassis I use wheel bearing and chassis grease.
The only place where you might have to worry about non-compatibility(maybe check with the counter person at NAPA) is the U-joint housing and maybe the rear wheel bearings (with good seals they should only need cleaned and repacked every 30,000 miles or so anyway), front wheels you would clean and repack anyway. Everywhere else, put new grease in till you see it coming out and wipe up.
Old 09-23-2019, 10:30 AM   #5
alexiskai

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRENT in 10-uh-C View Post
Maybe the answer comes from answering this first. How good does the grease need to be? What is the true life-expectancy of the item the grease is lubricating? Can quality be overcome by increased frequency of lubrication?

For example, if the spring hanger life-expectancy is 50k miles with frequent servicing intervals of Wal*Mart brand moly lube, -does the life-expectancy change if an aero-designed quality of lube is used instead? If the life-expectancy is increased with the higher quality lube, by how much more? If by 10% - 20%, then I do not see that is as a value.
I agree, in this particular instance I'm not actually looking for The Best Grease Ever. I just know nothing about grease and I was hoping someone could point me toward a standard grease that's not too expensive and won't leak oil on my other tools. I've read that the moly greases are more prone to leaking oil.
Old 09-23-2019, 11:42 AM   #6
redmodelt

The Wheel bearing and chassis grease at NAPA can be gotten for 4.99 plus tax if applicable. They have others but at a higher cost.
Old 09-23-2019, 11:59 AM   #7
alexiskai

Thanks, I'll stop by NAPA and see what they have.