Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-20-2019, 09:51 PM   #81
Clem Clement

Default Re: Roy Nacewicz

He was always so kind and willing to help me and provide what was correct for me. What a great asset tour hobby. He'll be fixing nuts and bolt on the Golden Chariot now.
Clem
Clem Clement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2019, 11:20 PM   #82
Digger

Rest in Peace Roy, and best to the family. He interacted with you as if you were the only person that needed help with your car. Ultimately patient, epically knowledgeable and loved the Fords like no other. Thank you for all you did for me, and the hobby.
Digger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2019, 11:59 PM   #83
1937sedandelivery

Everybody is so right on with Roy. I dare to say that there is no other person that embodies the virtues, unselfishness, generosity, patience, knowledge, kindness,...and humanity that Roy shared with us all. God Bless. I want him back.
Short story:
A couple weeks ago I was talking/emailing with him on my 37 Sedan Delivery. I had some very unique, specific questions regarding some interior rear trim moldings and how they fastened to some of the inside framing/steel. So much detail I was needing..."Hey Roy, there is a small hole in framing steel that the vertical trim pieces fasten to. It is at the very bottom of the trim. Do you know what the stock mounting is?"...….."Roy, I believe it is a small #8-32 screw and threaded hole in the steel piece. Not sure because it has been over 30 years since I worked on my 37 SD."
Lo and behold, I go to get a closer look at mine and voila!, it indeed is that screw size. Damn, what a mind he had for detail.
Call me selfish, but I want him back....
Love to Roy and Family.
1937sedandelivery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 06:16 AM   #84
Mike in Mass

Prayers to his family. I will miss him and his knowledge. Wow ,I cant believe it .
Mike in Mass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 02:44 PM   #85
dad35

It has taken me a few days to respond to my son's posting. I have few friends I feel as close to as Roy. He was my mentor in the V-8 hobby as well as one of the most valuable sources of knowledge when it comes to correctly restoring these Henry Ford's.

I first called and talk with Roy around 1988 when I was restoring my 35 coupe and was trying to get the correct dash paint. Roy had 36 but not the 35, however a short time later he sent me the correct one free of charge for my input. That's the way Roy was, always encouraging me to go beyond in detailing my show car. When I finally thought I had it complete he graciously came down to Tennessee with his son and found only 63 things incorrect in the assembly. Some would be upset but this allowed me correct them before the V-8 Nationals and win my Dearborn award. No telling how many Dearborn Awards Roy 's knowledge and fastener kits have been responsible for!

I started going to Hershey that following year working in Roy's tent helping him sell those kits and continued ever year after. Hershey will not be the same without Roy's diet Cokes and daily talks. My son was fortunate to get tutoring from Roy's knowledge from his kid years right up to weekly phone calls as he started his parts business. I know he was one of his heros! Rest in Peace dear friend and prayers be with your family and friends in this hobby!!!
dad35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 03:55 PM   #86
FlatheadTed

Send a message via AIM to FlatheadTed

So sudden ,RIP ,just to add ,Very impressed with the dedication to the hobby with that photo of the 32 Delivery,

Flathead Ted brake Floaters ,

Last edited by FlatheadTed; 04-21-2019 at 06:13 PM.
FlatheadTed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 06:17 PM   #87
mercman from oz

I received this email from a friend describing Roy, and I thought that I would share it, as it sums up the type of guy Roy was.
"This is a big loss not only to Roy’s family but the Early Ford V8 family as well. Roy was a wealth of information, who would share it in his unique way, and will be greatly missed especially those of us who go deep on details. Roy was a long-time Ford employee and he told me of spending his lunch time in the Ford archives looking for all sorts of information. I learned a great deal about searching the archives from Roy and he helped me better understand Ford, the part numbering system and all about Ford nuts, bolts, hardware and all the original parts and pieces needed for a quality restoration. I was fortunate to have spent time with him in his warehouse-reproduction factory-office in Michigan, sat down many times to “rest my feet” at his Hershey space and talk Ford parts. I remember his eyes lighting up when I brought up the subject of trying to find the right split rivets for holding anti-squeak material to sheet metal parts, yep, that was his thing too. He was very patient with me so many times on the phone when I had seeming arcane details related to my restoration. He would share his opinion but also freely admit when he didn’t know the answer. Roy was instrumental in getting permission and organizing the backroom tour of the Ford archives in Dearborn at the Grand National Meet – a real treat for me to attend. I also appreciated the level of correctness in all his reproduction parts. Gas lines he made were copper-plated steel, just like Ford made. He relayed a story to me about having to go down to the very worst sections of Detroit to pick up a batch of gas lines from the plater he used and worrying about his personal safety and wondering if his car would survive the all-consuming pot holes. He wouldn’t send any of his employees to the platers, so that tells you something about his character. Another little known fact is that he arranged for special treatment for all of his hardware with black-oxide coating. He specified that the plater had to run the hardware through the process a total of three times to attain the quality finish that he demanded and much like what Ford produced in the EFV8 years. He said he did enough business with them that he was able to get this special treatment. He did present a bit of a cantankerous facade and he smoked like a chimney, but once past those traits, he was a great person to know and a real treasure. I can’t imagine how much knowledge went with him and hope his spirit and philosophy of reproduction parts continues."
mercman from oz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 07:44 PM   #88
petehoovie

Obit > https://molnarfuneralhome.com/tribut.../obituary.html

"Silver rings, your butt! Them's washers!"
"We shot our way out of that town for a dollar's worth of steel holes!" - from 'The Wild Bunch' - 1969

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NReUd2_0u0
petehoovie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2019, 05:27 AM   #89
whizzernick

I have been talking and buying from Roy for so long I must guess . 40 + years .. But I still do not know much about Roy. I would like to know more .. Very sad day
whizzernick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2019, 08:51 AM   #90
V8ER

Another huge loss to the hobby. Rest In Peace Roy.
V8ER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2019, 01:18 AM   #91
john stimac

I knew Roy well,He and his family are in our prayers.
john stimac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2019, 03:48 AM   #92
Mart

Never met him, but can appreciate how highly regarded he was. His name was mentioned on this forum on an almost daily basis.

Is there anyone "standing in the wings" so to speak, that can continue with the business?

Mart.
Mart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2019, 06:18 AM   #93
stangblue

My condolences to Roy's Family, Roy was one person you could trust for the right answer and part if needed. Will be sorely missed.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg roy.jpg (90.1 KB, 283 views)
Old 04-23-2019, 07:01 AM   #94
Tim Ayers

I can't more than what's already been said about Roy. As others mentioned, he made you feel like you were the most important person when you talked to him. Freely shared his knowledge and was just a great, funny guy to talk to.

My condolences to his family. Rest in peace, Roy.
Tim Ayers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 07:29 PM   #95
VeryTangled

I was a noob, in a hotel in Hiawassee Ga during a V-8 Meet.

It was probably the first day I ever saw Michael Driskell. And there lies another tale.

I dialed, and Roy he answered. Maybe he was happy to hear from someone in that town. I wanted a vacuum line from dizzy to manifold for my 36. Best conversation ever. And we won't even doubt the piece that came in the mail. In the years after I always nodded my head in the correct direction when in the vicinity, but didn't feel super-worthy to take him away from the long line of buddies waiting to get a word.

That black oxide coating (triple run) is heavenly and I love opening a bag his fasteners to put into my car(s)! Especially when chucking some crap that jackleg's have put on my car after their small brains decided to toss the original Ford fasteners and replace them with junk. We have the last word, Roy, you and I.

You can't really have a moment of silence on a message board... But this person was worthy of it.

Edit to add: I really dig libraries too! If I had access to BFRC on a daily basis... They would need to rotate the chairs in the reading room because I'd be wearing one chair out for being plopped in it for an hour or three every single day. MOST AMAZING LIBRARY EVER! And this is from a guy who has easy access to the United States Library Of Congress!

Have you thought about supporting the Early Ford V-8 Foundation Museum?

Last edited by VeryTangled; 04-24-2019 at 07:50 PM.
VeryTangled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 07:39 PM   #96
gz

I met Roy when I first moved to Michigan in 1996 and was working at The Henry Ford Museum. He was truly one of the great guys. Always willing to share knowledge and always willing to make you laugh. God speed, good friend.
gz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 08:22 PM   #97
petehoovie

"Silver rings, your butt! Them's washers!"
"We shot our way out of that town for a dollar's worth of steel holes!" - from 'The Wild Bunch' - 1969

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NReUd2_0u0

Last edited by petehoovie; 04-25-2019 at 01:07 AM.
petehoovie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 08:54 PM   #98
35fordtn

Hi all, I made the flight up to Michigan today to attend Roy’s service. It was very nice with some very familiar Early Ford faces in attendance, including the Vice President, National Chief Judge, National Chief Judge Secretary of the National Club; not to mention many of Roys other Old car, racing, and family friends. Roy was indeed well respected no doubt.

To accompany the above photo of Roy taken last year, I thought I’d attach a photo of Roy next to his first 1937 he restored. I do not know the date of the photo as it was WAY before my time, but my guess would be 1968??.. That familiar smile of a much younger Roy says it all with no caption needed.

IMG_4832.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
35fordtn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 10:09 PM   #99
Seth Swoboda

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat/Ohio View Post
Yes and that young man in the middle is the current president of the Early Ford V-8 Club of America...Michael Driskell. I believe he started this thread.
That guy in the middle is a beacon of hope to those of us in this hobby who want to restore and preserve early Fords. Support him and encourage him and you'll be rewarded.
Seth Swoboda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 10:12 PM   #100
nelsb01

The hall at the funeral home was full -- while I go back with my involvement with Roy well before 35tnford, it was none the less an unbelievable out pouring of love and affection from all in attendance. I personally saw many others who I would not have met if it was not for knowing Roy. Thanks Roy. You improved my life and enhanced my involvement in old Fords and the Early Ford V-8 Club. And not to mention the great job you did in mentoring your children, your step children and your grand children.
I wish you were still here to continue to guide us on our journey.
nelsb01 is offline   Reply With Quote