Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-27-2017, 03:06 AM   #1
Grizlywinkleman

Default Valve Installation Reference video

Greetings all,

I have found a ton of written reference out there pertaining to this topic but I am more of a visual learner. I found the below video of Vern Tardel installing new valve assembly in a motor. He sounds like he's done this a few times. Can I rely on this as being the proper procedure to follow?

I have read about drilling in the block to hold the lifter from spinning but is it common to cut the block for access to the lifter adjusting bolt?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TN1DbPMqC4E

Thanks for your input!

Ryan
Grizlywinkleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2017, 05:22 AM   #2
flatheadmurre

Default Re: Valve Installation Reference video

If you have a reground camshaft the lifters end up lower in the block so the relief makes life easier.
If youīre doing a full rebuild itīs less stuff to turn around if you just install the cam and adjust the lifters before the crank and piston goes in.
flatheadmurre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2017, 08:02 AM   #3
GOSFAST

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizlywinkleman View Post
Greetings all,

I have found a ton of written reference out there pertaining to this topic but I am more of a visual learner. I found the below video of Vern Tardel installing new valve assembly in a motor. He sounds like he's done this a few times. Can I rely on this as being the proper procedure to follow?

I have read about drilling in the block to hold the lifter from spinning but is it common to cut the block for access to the lifter adjusting bolt?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TN1DbPMqC4E

Thanks for your input!

Ryan
Hi Ryan, those are "old-time" procedures, with today's tooling we can assemble the entire valve train in about 20/30 minutes, all 16 guides, valves, springs, retainers, and locks. (See the shot below) Drilling the lifter bores for adjusting the valves is just about mandatory?

Quote:
Originally Posted by flatheadmurre View Post
If you have a reground camshaft the lifters end up lower in the block so the relief makes life easier. If youīre doing a full rebuild itīs less stuff to turn around if you just install the cam and adjust the lifters before the crank and piston goes in.
I agree with this method, but would NOT "lower" any of the lifter bores. We would not use any "reground" cams so this wouldn't be necessary. We also avoid using any "longer-than-stock" valves, does nothing but cause add'l installed spring hgt/pressure issues.

Thanks, Gary in N.Y.

P.S. Here's a shot of the spring compressor we use, we can disassemble OR assemble the valves in less than a 1/2 hour! When we do the bronze-lined guides with the Viton intake stem seals that "lip" at the top of the guide to use that conventional Ford tool is machined off anyway!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Flathead Spring Compressor.JPG (78.3 KB, 82 views)
File Type: jpg Flathead Bronze Guides Seals.JPG (74.5 KB, 74 views)
GOSFAST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2017, 09:22 AM   #4
4t8v8

One thing that the video didn't mention is being sure all the grinding compound is cleaned off the seat and valve face after lapping. Be sure no compound gets on the stem or guide. I have always used hot water and Dawn detergent to clean everything before installation as solvents will not do the job.
4t8v8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2017, 01:22 AM   #5
Grizlywinkleman

All super valuable information! I will be using a new cam so I should not have to worry about the lifter height.

Other than drilling a hole for adjusting the lifter/valve clearance, he also cut away a section of engine block at the top of the lifter bores in order to make clearance for a wrench. I have not seen or heard of this being done in any other videos or literature??? Sounds sketchy to me! Has anyone heard of this?

Thanks a bunch!

Ryan
Grizlywinkleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2017, 02:33 AM   #6
flatheadmurre

Nothing sketchy about grinding the relief to get the wrench in...itīs more about working with what you got.
If you regrind a camshaft and want a higher lift you need to reduce the basecircle of the cam to gain lift...that means you end up with the lifter sitting lower.
With a new cam you donīt have this issues to adress so no need for a relief in the block.
flatheadmurre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2017, 06:22 AM   #7
JWL
Member Emeritus

I think a couple of people are missing the reality of "lift" in a Flathead cam. The fact is no matter whether the cam is done on a new core or a used core the base circle is going to be smaller than a stock cam if significant higher lift numbers are desired.

Cam designers/grinders are limited by the diameter of the cam bearing inside diameter of 1.797. Considering a small allowance for undersize journals(oversized bearings) a safe maximum lobe height can be determined and you can do the math to see what your core diameter maximum is based on your lift requirement.
JWL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2017, 07:38 AM   #8
rotorwrench

Some folks still grind the valve stems to get the clearance. That is a job that takes care to get it right 16 times so I can see folks doing it one way or the other. Once a block is prepped for adjustables, that part is done for the life of the block. I guess it just depends on whether a person wants the capability to adjust the valve clearances without pulling the heads and valve assemblies.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2017, 10:32 PM   #9
John R

X2 JWL's post.