Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-19-2014, 07:07 PM   #1
Mtn Wudy

Default Original selling price

To reg. my 1948 Ford Station Wagon.. I need to know what it sold for new..That's how they know how much to charge me.....Thanks ahead of time....Carl
Old 08-19-2014, 07:26 PM   #2
Vic Piano

Default Re: Original selling price

In '48 The Station Wagon was most likely $1,500 to $1,800, I would guess, knowing that my dad bought a '47 convertible new and paid $1,600. for it. When you say "That's how they know how much to charge me.....", are you talking about the registration? In New York and Florida, the DMV charges "sales tax" based on what you paid for the vehicle, not what it cost when new... I wish they would do that! They also charge your "Tags" based on the vehicle weight...
Old 08-19-2014, 07:38 PM   #3
39wdy

Hi, I'm not sure of the exact price on a 48 Ford Super Deluxe Station Wagon (Woodie) but a 47 list price was $1,972. Those post war prices really started to escalate as I know my 39 Ford Deluxe Station Wagon sold for a whopping $926 which was either 15 or 16 dollars more than the next highest priced car in Ford's lineup, the convertible. I think in 47 and 48 the only Ford more expensive than the Woodie Wagon was the Sportsman which combined the convertible technology with the extreme craftsmanship of the wood body. Hope this helps. Toby Lampert
39wdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 08:00 PM   #4
Mtn Wudy

Vic...
I just moved to CO. And the lady at the DMV told me it was based on the original selling Price..1948 !!!......I reg. 2 cars and a 32' Safari with a total of $ 332.& some change..My Motorhome cost over $800. In CA...The Woodie was $591.oo there..... Gov. Moonbeam never even thanked me all these years.....Carl
Old 08-19-2014, 08:13 PM   #5
4dFord/SC

The 1948 Super Deluxe 4-dr Station Wagon with V-8 listed for $1972, and weighed 3520 lbs. The 6 cyl. version was $1893 and weighed 3487 lbs.

Source: John Gunnell, STANDARD CATALOG OF FORD, 4th ed., (Krause Publications, Iola, WI: 2007).
4dFord/SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 08:22 PM   #6
JSeery
Member Emeritus

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Any place I have ever registered a vehicle, it is based on the selling price to you and you have to have a bill of sale to verify it.
JSeery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 08:29 PM   #7
19Fordy

I am amazed that any DMV would let you title a car based on it's original selling price.
It doesn't make sense. So I guess I could title a 1951 Ford convertible that is now worth $25K based on it's 1951 OEM selling price.
19Fordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 09:02 PM   #8
Carl

In Texas, the DMV has in their computer the value of the car being registered or sold for all vehicles from about 1985( I think) and charge you a sales tax of .0625 based on that or the actual sale price(whichever is highest). They can also, at their discretion, search for the last sale or registration of that vehicle and compare numbers. If it don't look right, they can ask for more paperwork. The buyer and seller must sign a "Application for Texas Title" which states sales price and the penalty for false statements is pretty stiff.
Carl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 09:08 PM   #9
Karl Wolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtn Wudy View Post
Vic...
I just moved to CO. And the lady at the DMV told me it was based on the original selling Price..1948 !!!......I reg. 2 cars and a 32' Safari with a total of $ 332.& some change..My Motorhome cost over $800. In CA...The Woodie was $591.oo there..... Gov. Moonbeam never even thanked me all these years.....Carl
I think that I would get a second opinion.

With sympathy toward the individual clerks- faced with no experience and poor training- I've seen some amazingly different ways they can interpret the rules... Sometimes to my great benefit, sometimes not so much so...

Karl
Karl Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 09:13 PM   #10
ford38v8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtn Wudy View Post
To reg. my 1948 Ford Station Wagon.. I need to know what it sold for new..That's how they know how much to charge me.....Thanks ahead of time....Carl
With all due respect, the lady at the DMV who told you that doesn't understand how to tie shoelaces. Don't argue with her, just accept the gift with a smile.
Old 08-19-2014, 10:52 PM   #11
Rustyspokes

I think if you go to Google , Nada Guides and follow the Classic car and fill in the year for the vehicle and options you will find out the New selling prices should work .. R....
Rustyspokes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 10:23 AM   #12
B-O-B

Oregon is the place :
NO SALES TAX
When I moved here in 99 I was able to register all my toys for $45.00 each with lifetime registration & not have to fool around with DMV again.
The total cost for all of them was less than what the 66 vette cost me in Cal.
This was for any vehicle over 25 years old.
Prices have gone up a bit since then. My 85 GMC pickup just cost $177.00 for lifetime plates.
B-O-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 02:28 PM   #13
Ol' Ron

In vermont the tax is based on the present value. The Model A was 800 bucks. Not sure what the 47 PU will be.
Ol' Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 02:35 PM   #14
HELENT

in sc the tax an tag on my 46 was 47.91 cents
HELENT is offline   Reply With Quote