Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-10-2011, 11:00 PM   #1
curleeman

Exclamation Want to open new Flathead Business in TX

I've been talking to a number of members about the lack of any type of flathead rebuilding/tuning/speed shops in the great state of Texas..What's the deal here in Texas? I am a native texan and am very disappointed in my home state I've decided to start thinking about opening up my own flathead speed/rebuild/tuning shop here in the DFW area, heck there's no competition to speak of!! All it will take is dedication,learning the flathead inside & out,good set of tools and a partner that loves the old motors as much as I do...I would like to start it ROOTS style,small & simple,almost like a hobby and see where it goes. I know there are a lot of flathead owners within hundreds of miles of the DFW metroplex that need help with their beloved flathead,it seems like everyone has to ship their motor off to California or somewhere thousands of miles away for decent service and pay ungodly amounts in shipping and other costs,that needs to change... If anyone out there in the DFW metroplex that feels the same as I do & might like to take a chance on starting something that doesn't even exist here, give me a shout and we'll see what we can come up with...This is America,the land of opportunity so lets strike while the iron is hot...Let me know,you never know what might happen..
curleeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 09:37 AM   #2
texas webb

Default Re: Want to open new Flathead Business in TX

Hey, I'm in San Antone collecting parts for my first flat build.51 Merc in a 31 Murray.Sounds good to me.
texas webb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 10:09 AM   #3
Mike51Merc

Do you intend to start from scratch or do you already have a shop? Are you a skilled engine builder/machinist or do you plan on making your bones by learning on other guy's engines?

I don't know Texas, but I'd guess that there aren't enough flatties in need of rebuilding/tuning/mods to form the base of a business plan exclusively devoted to them.
Mike51Merc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 11:06 AM   #4
Planojc

There are several good experienced Flathead engine builders in Dallas Fort Worth area. I suggest you either join a EFV8 Club in your area or talk to one of the members for recommendations.
Planojc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 12:42 PM   #5
flatheadernie

Haslett, in the ft worth area? I am going to get rid of the tools I used in rebuilding my old flatheads, and a few others. cost too much to keep the tools ie;crank grinder, mills, boring bars, on hand, so all I have is valve grinder some special things needed over the yrs. ernie n tx is the handle, 9403002177 is the # ps have u ever seen a hand operated boring bar, last job I did by hand, phew !! :>) e
flatheadernie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 01:03 PM   #6
rotorwrench

I imagine that most of the metro areas in Texas such as DFW, Houston, Austin, and San Antonio at least have one or more machine shops that have flathead experience. Most machine shops will build a complete engine if that's what the customer wants. I imagine most old car guys like me, try to do as much as we can with what we have on hand. I can take an engine down and build it back up but I can't justify machinery to bore cylinders and grind cranks and the like.

I've been bit a few times by folks that kept saying they can do the job and then didn't. Due to this, I do as much of my own work as I can and don't send any thing out farther than I can drive to pick it up. At least that way I can only blame myself for screw ups. The experience I've gained from this plan has made me a much better planner as well as a mechanic. It may take me a while but I usually finish what I start.

Kerby
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 01:17 PM   #7
curleeman

I agree with you guys,and plan on doing most of the rebuild myself except for the machining.I guess what I'm looking for is a good machine shop with flathead experience.I'm in no hurry to get this motor done,it's been in my family for over forty years,I'm pulling it out of my late grandpas 1952 F1 pickup.I may not be an expert mechanic but it's never too late to learn and save this old motor from the junk yard..I've wanted this motor since I was about 5years old and wom't let it scare me off.Thanks for the input and I'm still interested in starting some type of flathead tuning/speed shop,may not do total rebuilds but will be able to do speed upgrades,tuning and overall simple carb rebuilds..
Old 04-12-2011, 10:17 PM   #8
3blapcam

good luck... I think you'll be chasing your tail. I can speak for Austin, and I think we're covered here.

3blap.
3blapcam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 07:31 PM   #9
Lyle

Ray's machine shop In Tyler,Texas. Works on Flatheads.I have seen his work. he Had a 47 with 3 duces eddelbrock heads and transmission Tricked out ready to run.I wated to long and another fellow bought it. he built it for a nother fellow and It did not have enough H/P so he traded it to Ray for 312 Y block. I COULD KICK MYSELF.I should have bought it myself Ray Does Good Work
Lyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 07:46 PM   #10
GreenMonster48

There's not a lot of Deusenberg shops around either.
GreenMonster48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 08:09 PM   #11
curleeman

Thanks Lyle,I'll be sure to check him out....I judt can't hand my motor over to just any 'run of the mill' shop...Thanks man...
Old 04-14-2011, 07:23 AM   #12
tintoptexan

Curleeman. "Automotive Machine Shop" (thats their name), in Stephensville rebuilt an 8BA for a friend and they did a great job. Put in a SCAT stroker kit and all. I have a couple of 59AB's waiting to go there for machine work. Haslet is not that far from Granbury where I live. Good Luck.
Old 04-14-2011, 10:47 AM   #13
curleeman

Thanks alot tintoptexan...I really appreciate the info, you know how it is not just anybody can wrench on the old flathead...good luck to you..
Old 04-14-2011, 11:46 AM   #14
Mike B

Not wanting to belittle you or anything, but based on this:

https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=34216

I would wonder how much experience you have and if you'd be able to give a customer a warm feeling.

The thought of opening your own business is awesome, but I think you need to have something on your resume that let's any potential customer know that you really know your business.

Good luck, if it's your passion go for it.
Mike B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 11:57 AM   #15
xxf_mike_xf

Not a good idea based on your experience. '32-'53 Ford flat motors are different, even though some parts interchange.
xxf_mike_xf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 12:26 PM   #16
Mike51Merc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike B View Post
Not wanting to belittle you or anything, but based on this:

https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=34216

I would wonder how much experience you have and if you'd be able to give a customer a warm feeling.

The thought of opening your own business is awesome, but I think you need to have something on your resume that let's any potential customer know that you really know your business.

Good luck, if it's your passion go for it.

Ah, dreamers, dream on.
Ya know, someday I want to be a nu-klee-er physicist. Do you have any tips?
Mike51Merc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 10:49 PM   #17
Joe/Ct

Wink Re: Want to open new Flathead Business in TX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike51Merc View Post
Ah, dreamers, dream on.
Ya know, someday I want to be a nu-klee-er physicist. Do you have any tips?
Great thought, but how good are you at counting bosons, nutrinos and phonons, hmmmmm?

"The older I get, the better I was"
Joe/Ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 10:43 AM   #18
BandidoLenny

There is A&E machine shop here in Kerrville, Texas... I know the "old man" there has built his share of flatheads.
Old 04-15-2011, 04:46 PM   #19
FlatheadTed

Send a message via AIM to FlatheadTed

Curleman all progress starts with a dream .I say give it a go ,

Flathead Ted brake Floaters ,
FlatheadTed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 05:53 PM   #20
Henry/Kokomo

Curleeman - I have to agree with most of what was said here. You appear to be long on dreams and short on experience. Unfortunately, the only way to get experience is to do the work. I say do some SERIOUS homework. After looking at the financial side of things and the time involved, if you think you can swing it, go for it. As a young man, I started a business that many of my friends thought would fail. It didn't. In later years, it purchaced a business started by another Henry (Ford, that is). Good luck in your pursuit.
Henry/Kokomo is offline   Reply With Quote