Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-20-2018, 08:48 AM   #41
19Fordy

Default Re: thermostats

bills: I would install them so that the clamp also holds them in place. Use sealant of course.
19Fordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 10:07 AM   #42
JSeery
Member Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim in Wisconsin View Post
Did Ford put thermostats in the early V8s?
Be a little difficult to operate them without them! The originals were a lower temp (160 I think) because of the types of antifreeze in use. The operating temps were increased over the years to improve efficiency.

Update: The Green Book shows the early thermostats were as low as 140 deg!

Last edited by JSeery; 02-21-2018 at 09:14 AM.
JSeery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 11:09 AM   #43
Vintage Copper 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSeery View Post
Older thermostats were a barrel style, completely different. Here is an example of one type.
I have an spare thermostat housing for my G model SIX.. this "barrel" type of thermostat is wedged inside.. how do you get them out? Or is it stuck because of years of corrosion.. IDK.. I haven't soaked it yet..

"We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm".

"Old enough for the experience & too young to know better"
Vintage Copper 47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 04:19 PM   #44
Otterby

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSeery View Post
Older thermostats were a barrel style, completely different. Here is an example of one type.
I see. I'm surprised no one makes them anymore with all the old flatheads still running.
Otterby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 04:42 PM   #45
JSeery
Member Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otterby View Post
I see. I'm surprised no one makes them anymore with all the old flatheads still running.
They do (similar cylinder style), most just don't want to pay for them. GM here on the Barn promotes them.
Old 02-20-2018, 07:55 PM   #46
Jim in Wisconsin

Somehow I thought there were no thermostats in the v8s until 1937. I've been driving my 33 since 1970 without any - seems to work ok. What is the Ford part number for them?
Jim in Wisconsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 09:29 PM   #47
Ed Pitts

Here's an example of the old ones. Ed
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1899.JPG (161.3 KB, 33 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1900.JPG (155.0 KB, 30 views)
Ed Pitts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 09:33 PM   #48
JSeery
Member Emeritus

I'm not the person to respond to questions about original parts, LOL. That's a question for someone like Dave. Would sure be difficult to drive in northern climates, guess you could block the radiator off. Guess I can read a parts book. The original temps are a lot lower than I thought!!!! But again, that is related to the antifreeze used. Running an engine at low temps has many negatives, increased ware, less efficient lubrication, increased slug, lower engine output efficiency, etc. Automotive engines are heat engines and efficiency (energy put into the engine vs power output) is related to operating temperature. Any heat lost out of the engine is wasted energy. This is part of why internal combustion engines are so inefficient in general, raising the operating temperature helps. A good efficiency number would be 25%, most older engines are far less.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Rad.jpg (70.3 KB, 35 views)
File Type: jpg Thermo.jpg (68.6 KB, 19 views)

Last edited by JSeery; 02-20-2018 at 10:08 PM.
Old 02-20-2018, 10:16 PM   #49
Dave D

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe plumber View Post
I don't run any in my 53 flathead.When I did it always ran maxed the heat gauge out .Ihave a new radiator and 900 miles on a newly overhauled engine.I believe all one needs is a clean radiator and clean block.Works for me

Yeah, that's why EVERY internal combustion engine manufacturer in the world puts them in...because they are not needed.
Dave D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 11:22 PM   #50
flatjack9

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe plumber View Post
I don't run any in my 53 flathead.When I did it always ran maxed the heat gauge out .Ihave a new radiator and 900 miles on a newly overhauled engine.I believe all one needs is a clean radiator and clean block.Works for me
If everything was truly up to snuff in your engine, the operating temperature would never get any where near what is should be. I had a stat stick open on my car and the temperature barely got up to 150. This is with a 276 cu in engine with a stock radiator and no pressure cap. I also have stock water pumps, no "high flow" stuff. Glad it works for you.
flatjack9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 12:37 AM   #51
Lawrie

I tig welded a modern t/state to a short length of stainless exh tube and the just slipped them up in the top hoses.
lawrie
Lawrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2018, 11:25 AM   #52
AnthonyG

Hey I understand ya gotta work with what ya got. All our Flatty's are old blocks, yea most have been checked for cracks but ya never really know about the cooling internals. Some work great some not so much. Typically we don't find out til it's running in our cars. If ya get it working in the right range and gotta go without stat's to get there you go with it. If ya need an auxiliary electric, go with it. I pretty much run my Flatty only in warmer weather Spring, Summer, early Fall. I currently am running stat's & one side is giving me a PIA not opening half the time and I have to shut down and wack the housing with a big wooden screw driver handle to get it to open then fine till next shut down. Have had issues in the past with stat's sticking. IMO, and from my experience while they work when opening and closing properly great, but my experience is they frequently don't. I've run without & in the warmer weather mine comes up to temp just fine and stays in a nice operating zone ( 175 while at speeds & 200 in slow to stopped traffic. I will probably remove mine before my season begins (again) as I'm sick of seemingly always having some kind of an issue with stat's. A lot is written about Flatty's being cooling challenged.
Old 02-24-2018, 12:55 PM   #53
joe plumber

My engine a 53 flathead.It is completely rebuilt,I'll say it again completely rebuilt and far from stock.Even got one of Bubbas 12 volt dizzys in it.I don't know everything about heating and cooling but have been in the plumbing and heating business for 50 years,put in my share of hydronic systems.My engine runs great without stats,course I don't drive the vehicle in the winter.All the gauges are new also.I guess there are those that know or think they know everything,but I'm not one of them.
joe plumber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2018, 01:18 PM   #54
joe plumber

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonyG View Post
Hey I understand ya gotta work with what ya got. All our Flatty's are old blocks, yea most have been checked for cracks but ya never really know about the cooling internals. Some work great some not so much. Typically we don't find out til it's running in our cars. If ya get it working in the right range and gotta go without stat's to get there you go with it. If ya need an auxiliary electric, go with it. I pretty much run my Flatty only in warmer weather Spring, Summer, early Fall. I currently am running stat's & one side is giving me a PIA not opening half the time and I have to shut down and wack the housing with a big wooden screw driver handle to get it to open then fine till next shut down. Have had issues in the past with stat's sticking. IMO, and from my experience while they work when opening and closing properly great, but my experience is they frequently don't. I've run without & in the warmer weather mine comes up to temp just fine and stays in a nice operating zone ( 175 while at speeds & 200 in slow to stopped traffic. I will probably remove mine before my season begins (again) as I'm sick of seemingly always having some kind of an issue with stat's. A lot is written about Flatty's being cooling challenged.
Amen
joe plumber is offline   Reply With Quote