Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-14-2016, 06:55 AM   #1
mshmodela

Default Cutout and thoughts

From time to time, I have had some intermittent electrical issues with my Model A. Last week, after a nice drive, the starter would spin the engine but she would not start --seemed a "no spark issue..." with the help from Mitch (thank you) he suggested testing the spark to a head nut which was OK.. She would still wish to start...

At at point, in looking at the diagram below, I removed the hot and lights from the cut out (which was a solid state cut that that I've ran for about a year... ) still no starting... So I checked the cutout and I saw what appear to be less than very high resistance, so I figured I'd try my old original relay type cut out and she started up like a champ...

So, NOW for my question and if the above sound a bit confusing sorry but this issue being an intermittent issue tends to do that

QUESTION: I noticed from time to time that before I start my car, the horn or light do not work... (With either cut out) that is not normal -yes? Car will start in either case... (last week was a 1st for real no spark issue).

I'm wondering if the above interment issue is what has been causing me issue...

Thank you.

Late 31' Ford Model A Tudor, Miss Daisy

I don't work on cars --I'm learning about my Model A.

Cleveland, Ohio
mshmodela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2016, 07:35 AM   #2
Kurt in NJ

Default Re: Cutout and thoughts

Do you have modifications from a stock electric system, ----bad connections between the generator and the battery (starter switch)---do you have a fuse on the starter?----if you do look there----follow the path--gen-terminal box--ammeter--ammeter--terminal box---starter looking for loose--bad connections, does the ammeter get hot while driving, they can get internal connection problems,(I soldered the bolts to the inner workings on mine, now cool)
Kurt in NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2016, 07:52 AM   #3
mshmodela

My electrical system is stock, last week, I took off my dash panel and check the amp meter and key switch with and Ohm meter... All the connections appeared fine and covered the open key connections screws with electrical tape.. I do not have fuse but I installed a battery cut off switch which appear fine... I will check the terminal box for bad connections..

Cleveland, Ohio
Old 05-14-2016, 08:37 AM   #4
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

The job of the cut out is to "cut out" the voltage from going to the generator and allow the voltage from the generator to go to the car. That's it that's all it does.
Old 05-14-2016, 08:55 AM   #5
Mitch//pa
BANNED

Following the diagram these cars only have a few connections and components.. An int should be pretty easy to find.. Just yesterday I had to pin out an ECM on a modern and then find the bad splice in the circuit... Prob one reason why I'm losing my hair..
The main issues are usually:
Int key switch,
Junct box connections,
Starter mounted fuse if applicable
Armored cable
Ammeter connections
Lower plate wire
Upper plate ground
Dirty points

It won't take much to open things up to clean snug and tighten it all.. It's good preventative maintenance also..

As I mentioned in the other thread the car will run without the generator and cut -out installed...

Tom and I also mentioned what to check for in power when the problem is occurring ....
Have fun it shouldn't take long to check all the above connections..
Feel free to always pm me for a phone call if it resurfaces I would be happy to walk you through the checks
Mitch//pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2016, 10:39 AM   #6
Utopia Texas

I know there are some that like to keep their Model A's completely stock but for me, when it comes to the cut out, I like some others use a voltage regulator that is hidden in a original cut out case. I have done some extensive driving out in Big Bend National Park and the Chihuahuan Desert and that is not the place for any type of break down. Most of that area does still not have cell phone service and help hard to get. John Regan of "Fun Projects" makes such units and they work super.
Utopia Texas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2016, 08:05 AM   #7
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by Utopia Texas View Post
I know there are some that like to keep their Model A's completely stock but for me, when it comes to the cut out, I like some others use a voltage regulator that is hidden in a original cut out case. I have done some extensive driving out in Big Bend National Park and the Chihuahuan Desert and that is not the place for any type of break down. Most of that area does still not have cell phone service and help hard to get. John Regan of "Fun Projects" makes such units and they work super.
In an emergency you can always jumper the cutout and remove it when the engine is off.
Old 05-15-2016, 08:20 AM   #8
Jacksonlll

Send a message via ICQ to Jacksonlll

MSH, send me your address using the Private Message link and I will send you a copy of my book, Get A Horse. It's to keep in your car and it helps you get her back running when she stops on you. It's small and fits in a pocket. jack
Jacksonlll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2016, 09:27 AM   #9
Utopia Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike V. Florida View Post
In an emergency you can always jumper the cutout and remove it when the engine is off.
Very true but why even be bothered with the problem and have to diagnose on the side of the road in 115F temperatures.
Utopia Texas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2016, 09:39 AM   #10
Mitch//pa
BANNED

Those regulators go bad also
Mitch//pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2016, 10:26 AM   #11
old31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike V. Florida View Post
How is that done? What is the procedure for jumping the cutout?
old31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2016, 12:53 PM   #12
Tom Wesenberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by old31 View Post
How is that done? What is the procedure for jumping the cutout?
If the contacts fail to conduct, then you can use a short jumper wire to connect across the two cutout terminals. This will conduct the output to the battery, but you must disconnect it as soon as the engine stops or the battery will drain back through the generator.

I've never had a problem with a restored original cutout.
If you use a diode cutout, then be sure it has a good heat sink.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2016, 01:24 PM   #13
mshmodela

Thanks for all of the advice... Snowing on and off today... Ugh was 81F 3 days ago...

Cleveland, Ohio
Old 05-16-2016, 07:26 AM   #14
old31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Wesenberg View Post
If the contacts fail to conduct, then you can use a short jumper wire to connect across the two cutout terminals. This will conduct the output to the battery, but you must disconnect it as soon as the engine stops or the battery will drain back through the generator.

I've never had a problem with a restored original cutout.
If you use a diode cutout, then be sure it has a good heat sink.
Thanks Tom.
old31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 09:19 AM   #15
fredski

Quote:
Originally Posted by Utopia Texas View Post
Wish I could say the same mine worked perfectly for about 2 months.
Put the original back on which is original to car and were fine now.

Fredski
fredski is offline   Reply With Quote