Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-22-2016, 08:54 PM   #1
rob63mess

Default Radiator woes

The radiator in the roadster has always had a nuisance leak. It cooled well but needed attention. I took it to a local guy, he said for about 125 bucks he'd clean it out and do the repairs. I dropped it off and he said no problem. 3 days later he said to come and get it, he couldn't fix it. We I got there he handed me the radiator in three pieces and a bill for 100 bucks.I was not happy.
I called the the parts supplier that I always use and ordered a new one. About 600 bucks with shipping but we drive the wheels off of the roadster so I figured bite the bullet. Fed ex delivered it today....to the wrong house...I had to search the neighborhood for it. When I went to install it, I couldn't believe how light it was compared to the original. Worst of all was how poorly it fit. The tabs that rest on the fram are no where close to fitting properly. After much cutting and grinding and fitting I thing im getting close, but The quality of this radiator is horrible. I hate to mention the supplier because they have always been helpful and their quality good.
rob63mess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 09:01 PM   #2
1955cj5

Default Re: Radiator woes

Sorry to hear of your troubles...All we really want are parts that fit and do the job...

I just took my radiator in yesterday for a cleaning. The fellow was honest, he has been around for years and specializes in copper/brass radiator repair, he said that he won't take it apart...Model A radiators are like jigsaw puzzles, too many parts..the top tank is assembled from at least 5 pieces...but he will soak it and flush it...

If you do not want to mention the supplier here please PM me as I may need a radiator soon....

But I think you should let us all know where you bought the replacement.......since you are in Ohio I can pretty much guess though....

Last edited by 1955cj5; 03-22-2016 at 09:06 PM.
1955cj5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 09:05 PM   #3
Larry Jenkins
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob63mess View Post
The radiator in the roadster has always had a nuisance leak. It cooled well but needed attention. I took it to a local guy, he said for about 125 bucks he'd clean it out and do the repairs. I dropped it off and he said no problem. 3 days later he said to come and get it, he couldn't fix it. We I got there he handed me the radiator in three pieces and a bill for 100 bucks.I was not happy.
I called the the parts supplier that I always use and ordered a new one. About 600 bucks with shipping but we drive the wheels off of the roadster so I figured bite the bullet. Fed ex delivered it today....to the wrong house...I had to search the neighborhood for it. When I went to install it, I couldn't believe how light it was compared to the original. Worst of all was how poorly it fit. The tabs that rest on the fram are no where close to fitting properly. After much cutting and grinding and fitting I thing im getting close, but The quality of this radiator is horrible. I hate to mention the supplier because they have always been helpful and their quality good.
Now, help others by revealing the Brand name and Supplier. This helps those who are/were in your situation.

And if the Supplier happens to read your information, they will correct the defects.. If they are a good source.. Good ones want to know.
Old 03-22-2016, 09:29 PM   #4
rob63mess

It was Snyders. I don't know what brand it is ...no markings. I ordered a model t rad from them and it was brassworks and I was very happy with that. Like I said, I'm usually happy with Snyders, I wonder where they get these Model a radiators. They offer a heavy duty version for about 50 dollars more, might have been a better option.
Old 03-22-2016, 09:31 PM   #5
1955cj5

Thanks for letting us know....

I think these vendors deal with lots of different suppliers and quality control is minimal....

But I do like Snyder''s...I've ordered from them often.....
Old 03-22-2016, 10:54 PM   #6
Larry Jenkins
BANNED

Quote:
It was Snyders. I don't know what brand it is ...no markings. I ordered a model t rad from them and it was brassworks and I was very happy with that. Like I said, I'm usually happy with Snyders, I wonder where they get these Model a radiators. They offer a heavy duty version for about 50 dollars more, might have been a better option.
I got to know Tom Jordan from Snyders. He's their go-to Tech person and I think he's a part owner.

On occasion, I have talked to Tom about some technical details and twice about quality issues. Tom is very involved in solving quality issues with their venders.

It behooves all of us to communicate with our Suppliers. The good ones take corrective action.

Would be a real plus if Don Snyder the third or Tom would respond to this thread and lets us know how they address these issues.
Old 03-22-2016, 10:56 PM   #7
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

Quote:
The quality of this radiator is horrible. I hate to mention the supplier because they have always been helpful and their quality good.
CALL THEM AND COMPLAIN. If we take poor parts and say nothing we will continue to get poor parts.

If it were me, I would have ordered a core and had the guy solder on the tanks for the $125.00 he quoted you.

How much do you want for the top and bottom tanks?
Old 04-03-2016, 02:57 PM   #8
jfreddie

Priced a core lately? At least $425 if you can find one.
jfreddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2016, 11:38 PM   #9
rob63mess

I wonder if the heavy duty radiators they offer are any better. I probably have 50 or so miles on the car since installing the rad. Just not happy.....it looks cheap...and although I ha eat had any issues yet....I don't have confidence in it.
Old 04-04-2016, 01:41 AM   #10
CarlG

I'm very happy with the Berg's radiator I have. No, it wasn't cheap, nor was the freight to get it here. When you get the best, cost isn't the deciding factor. You get what you pay for.
Model A Restorers Club
Antique Automobile Club of America
Mullins Owner's Club
CarlG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 02:04 AM   #11
rob63mess

I wish I could have seen it prior to purchase.
Old 04-04-2016, 06:08 AM   #12
Robert/Texas

I bought a new Berg's radiator for mu '28 roadster three years ago. I picked it up at the Chickasha swap meet so there was no freight charge. The radiator fits perfectly and cools well. This has completely solved my overheating problems.
Robert/Texas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 06:19 AM   #13
Del in NE Ohio

Snyders gets their "A" radiators from Independent Antique Radiator in Skokie, IL. You didn't say, what year is the roadster?
Del in NE Ohio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 06:38 AM   #14
updraught

This seems to be one supplier

http://www.oldradman.com/

PS. As above ...
updraught is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 07:40 AM   #15
BILL WILLIAMSON

Brand name doesn't necessarily reflect EFFICIENCY.
Minerva had a WALKER, 10 fin per inch, made in the early '90's & it did a GREAT job, even in 112 degree temps. I don't know if they're still available???
Bill W.
Old 04-04-2016, 08:07 AM   #16
Ers 26T

Thumbs down Re: Radiator woes

I purchased the heavy duty radiator from Brattons last week and found the same issues. Poor fit had to elongate holes in the brackets to get things to line up and on top of that I could not mount the fan shroud on the radiator as there were no lower mounting points and the outlet for the upper hose is angled differently from the original in that you couldn't even get the shroud in place properly. If I had known that I would have purchased the brassworks radiator.
Ers 26T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 08:31 AM   #17
H. L. Chauvin

Agree with responses that are often recommended; i.e., if unsatisfied after receiving parts or services ..... whether or not an error was made ............. the Ice cream Company should explain why Bovine Crap was provided in lieu of their advertised Ice Cream ................. and if still not satisfied, let the World know ........... we report, you decide ...... works sometimes ....sometimes not ....... but at least we all tried to communicate in a civil manner.
H. L. Chauvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 08:50 AM   #18
TinCup

We have heard this conversation many times before on the barn. How many times have you heard this about Berg's??? They build them and sell them. They are not reliant on someone else to build. They have better control over quality control. Sure they make mistakes but they fit and do a great job cooling even in 100+ temps.
TinCup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 09:35 AM   #19
Aok

Any time you get inferior parts you need to let the seller know. Maybe if they get enough complaints and/or returns they would fix the problems. Not just model A parts but most things in general in today world of cheap 3rd world labor not much quality control these things are going to happen. I have found most vendors will do something to make it right or at least a little better but your complains needs to be heard
Aok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 10:21 AM   #20
Franchise_24

Quote:
I got the heavy duty one for my 28 leatherback. Fit perfectly, no issues at all, works and cools perfectly as well. Sorry you had bad luck, maybe you should give them a call and tell them what is going on.