Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-21-2011, 10:45 PM   #1
cb ndrhsr

Default Beginners guide to polishing Alum. heads & intake

Greetings, I would like to try my hand at polishing a pair of Edelbrock heads and an Offy 2x2 intake.They are all new and I don't want to mess them up. I don't know if I have the proper tools to do the job. I've always taken them to my polisher, as he does excellant work, however , if I have what it takes I'd like to try it myself. Any info that you could pass along would be great. If you suggest that I leave it to someone who knows what they are doing, don't hesitate to tell me. Thanks, CBN
cb ndrhsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 11:17 PM   #2
roadster36
BANNED

Default Re: Beginners guide to polishing Alum. heads & intake

If you have a 1/4" die grinder, preferably air powered and a decent sized bench polisher you should be able to do it all yourself with nice results. Many years ago I did a lot of metal polishing for local rodders. In fact I was able to buy my first house with the proceeds from the work. Whatever you do make sure you wear proper protection, both eye and breathing. Another thing to mention even though you probably won't come in contact with it is magnesium. Magnesium dust acts just like gunpowder and will start a fire fast. You won't find too many shops these days that will polish a VW Rhino case or other mag parts because of the fire danger. Look in the Grainer catalog for abrasive spiral and cartridge rolls. Buy a mandrel, an assortment of abrasive grits and have at it. Depending on the surface of the part you are polishing you can start with 80 grit, but usually 150 or 180 is rough enough to make the first cut. Follow up with 220 then 400. After that you can finish up with rouge or polishing paste that is available from Eastwood in various colors for each application.It is available for aluminum,stainless, other non-ferrous metals like brass,etc, plastic, and other materials. I used to buy my materials from local polishing supply house and it saved a bunch of money. Metal polishing is a filthy, time consuming process but well worth the effort.You will smell like aluminum when you are done and your shop will have aluminum dust all over it, but it is fun and you can save a lot of money. (: Good luck - Dennis
roadster36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 10:34 AM   #3
Tom Overfield

As 36 roadster said, it can be done,,,it just takes a lot of time. I did my V-12 heads and intake starting with a DA sander and 80 grit working my way up to 600 grit. You can go 800, 1000 and further if you want,,but 600 seemed to work ok for me. Then using a 10 inch wheel and white compound I polished everything possible, then did the rest with the die grinder and the Dremel. Did I say it took a lot of time?
Here are the results,,,I was pleased with it.
Tom
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0231.jpg (54.8 KB, 135 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0232.jpg (77.7 KB, 150 views)
Tom Overfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 11:17 PM   #4
Human Fly

Can you guys show or refer to the item used for the hard to get to bits on a manifold. Good thread, I am going to do my manifold myself.
Human Fly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 01:22 AM   #5
roadster36
BANNED

Google Grainger part number 3RB57 (mandrel) 3DU52 spiral rolls in different grits and 3RB69 Cartridge Rolls. There are many different companies that sell the necessary materials. They are even on E-Bay.
roadster36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 04:15 AM   #6
Human Fly

Thanks, now I am on the right track.
Human Fly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 09:37 AM   #7
Tom Overfield

You might also take a look at a place in Canfield, Ohio called TP Tools, they have a lot of the things you might need to get into those tight places, including a kit with various tips for polishing aluminum.
Old 12-23-2011, 06:03 PM   #8
Bassman/NZ

Tom Overfield..... your V12 looks stunning!
Bassman/NZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 06:09 PM   #9
52merc

mary merry xmas trev

ps lost your email addy
52merc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 06:09 PM   #10
52merc

sorry typo marty
52merc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 06:18 PM   #11
Tom Overfield

Thanks Bassman,
Appreciate it.
Old 12-23-2011, 06:24 PM   #12
denverslim

Dam! That polished V-12 is as pretty an engine as I've ever seen! Anyway we could see more pictures?...slim
denverslim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 01:17 AM   #13
cb ndrhsr

Thanks you guys ! I'll now be on the right track.I figured that it would take quite a bit of time,I just wasn't sure how to tackle the job. I'm going to try initially to use my Rockwell oscillating tool with the triangular shaped sanding pads for the first cut. When I get to the final sanding, should I still try to use a machine or is this all hand work before I use my buffing wheel on my bench grinder ?
Old 12-24-2011, 08:52 AM   #14
Tom Overfield

You have to go with progressivly finers cuts of paper, In my case I started with 80, then 120, 220, 320, 400, 500, and finally 600. There was one point I used 800 wet and 1000 wet just to see if it made any difference in the final product. I could see no difference, it just polished faster. The secret is to remove ALL of the sanding marks left by the previous paper then continue on. I have no experience with the Rockwell tool so I can't address how effective it may or may not be. Probably 95 % of what I did was with a machine of some sort. Then you get to improvise with your fingers, wooden dowels, a die grinder with felt polishng tips and the trusty Dremel with polishing tips and wheels.
Old 12-24-2011, 09:06 AM   #15
Tom Overfield

The polished V-12 is going into a 41 Continental Cabrolet I have had since 1974. I finally finished it all with the exception of the engine, a year or so ago. It is all original as it came from the factory according to the production slip and I did it all with the exception of the interior and top in my garage. I had it on a rotisserie and the bottom is as clean as the top. My intentions are to show it once, then put the top down and drive it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC_0008.jpg (90.4 KB, 31 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_0010.jpg (54.2 KB, 28 views)
Old 12-24-2011, 09:09 AM   #16
KiWinUS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Overfield View Post
The polished V-12 is going into a 41 Continental Cabrolet I have had since 1974. I finally finished it all with the exception of the engine, a year or so ago. It is all original as it came from the factory according to the production slip and I did it all with the exception of the interior and top in my garage. I had it on a rotisserie and the bottom is as clean as the top. My intentions are to show it once, then put the top down and drive it.
WOW Tom ..Stunning car !!!
Cheers
Tony
KiWinUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 09:27 AM   #17
fourtydlx

Send a message via Yahoo to fourtydlx

TOM: you got to be very proud of your new Baby......les
fourtydlx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 04:11 PM   #18
cb ndrhsr

On the heads, I just want to polish the sides, ends and tops of the fins.the inside of the fins I would like to paint engine color (ford green).Of course I'll polish all of the intake.I'd prefer not too much Bling. Thanks for all of your help,if I learn to post pictures, I'll keep you posted on my progress. Merry Christmas to you all !! CBN