Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-28-2019, 11:02 AM   #1
tommyleea

Default 53 Ranchwagon driveshaft

53 Ranchwagon Flathead 3 speed . Driveshaft was inside the car, but I am not sure it is for the car. The yoke slides on to the tranny output shaft, but only about 2 inches. It goes in 1/4 inch past the oil seal, and the other 1 3/4 is the exposed output shaft. Is there something stopping the yoke from pushing on further, even though it might not have to when all said and done? I seems like it is bottoming out against something, but not sure what it would be. Do you think 2 inches is enough engagement? The drive shaft length is 52 1/2 from center to center where the u joints go. Probably something you wouldn't normally look at or think about, but I thought I would ask anyway. Getting ready to drop the engine in, so just trying to figure this out now. Thanks for any info.
tommyleea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2019, 11:50 AM   #2
skidmarks

Default Re: 53 Ranchwagon driveshaft

Look at the yoke for signs of wear from the grease seal that will show you were its suppose to be.
It cant be bottomed out when installed . Has to have movement from the suspension travel otherwise stuff will break or bind

Check the inside of the yoke for dirt rust and burs
That will keep it from going in.
skidmarks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2019, 01:01 PM   #3
tommyleea

Quote:
Originally Posted by skidmarks View Post
Look at the yoke for signs of wear from the grease seal that will show you were its suppose to be.
It cant be bottomed out when installed . Has to have movement from the suspension travel otherwise stuff will break or bind

Thanks..That is kinda what I thought. I did clean it out, but maybe I will take a file and run it down the splines. It had been sitting for quite awhile. There seems to be two seal wear marks for some reason. I don't think 2" would allow enough movement during operation?
Old 11-30-2019, 11:40 AM   #4
tommyleea

Quote:
Originally Posted by skidmarks View Post

Using a file, hacksaw blade and emery cloth the yoke finally got clean enough to engage all the way. Thanks..
Old 12-09-2019, 12:33 PM   #5
tommyleea

Now that the front yoke is taken care of I have a question about the rear universal joint. I don't have the hardware that clamps the ujoint to the rear yoke. I don't see threads in the holes of the yoke. Is anyone familiar with what hardware I should have? Would it be u bolts or the wider clamp plates with washers and nuts? I see Denny's driveshaft has a NEAPCO 1-2134 which they call a winged ujoint, but that is not what I removed. Any help is appreciated. I have the flathead engine with 3 speed tranny.
Old 12-09-2019, 01:30 PM   #6
rotorwrench

They use bolts since the flange end is a trunion to flange type bearing on both sides so there are 4 each 5/16 X 24 at 3/4" length. All of the early 50s Fords use the same U-joint set up. The 52/53 sedan delivery & wagon use the AB-4602-C drive shaft and this is how it is listed in the parts book "58 3/8" long - has Red paint band" What they are measuring from is not listed. The front knuckle & plug is the same for all Ford cars from 1949 thru 1953 and it is a Mercury part number 1M-4841. This is the replacement part for those made before 1951.

Some GM drive shaft knuckles (yokes) will fit the Ford spline.

Last edited by rotorwrench; 12-09-2019 at 01:36 PM.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 01:52 PM   #7
tommyleea

Quote:
Originally Posted by rotorwrench View Post
They use bolts since the flange end is a trunion to flange type bearing on both sides so there are 4 each 5/16 X 24 at 3/4" length. All of the early 50s Fords use the same U-joint set up. The 52/53 sedan delivery & wagon use the AB-4602-C drive shaft and this is how it is listed in the parts book "58 3/8" long - has Red paint band" What they are measuring from is not listed. The front knuckle & plug is the same for all Ford cars from 1949 thru 1953 and it is a Mercury part number 1M-4841. This is the replacement part for those made before 1951.

Some GM drive shaft knuckles (yokes) will fit the Ford spline.
Thanks..There is a flange at the differential. So, I guess the winged/flanged u-joint is the one I need. Maybe the flanged part was just missing/broken off my old u-joint. The driveshaft wasn't installed, it was just inside the car. I will take some measurements and see if it matches the u-joint I am looking at. Thanks again.