Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-24-2019, 07:24 PM   #21
Bored&Stroked

Default Re: For those with machining experience. Sleeve fitting??

Hey Gary - post a picture of the CNC setup that you have - am curious as to what type of machine, tooling, etc . . . thanks!
Bored&Stroked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2019, 11:02 AM   #22
flatrod

Also be aware of distortion in the cyls next to the sleeved one. Depending on how much press you have it can distort them. Sleeves should be installed then all cyls bored to size.
flatrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2019, 11:58 AM   #23
GOSFAST

Hi Dale, the CNC is in my friends building, I didn't have the room where I am now, it takes up a lot "real-estate"!

He works closely with me and my son, I don't like using it, downright "boring", no pun intended. It is a very versatile piece of equipment however!

If I think to take a camera next time I go there I'll get a shot or two. I placed a shot of a very similar one below, looks close.

Thanks, Gary in N.Y.

P.S. The only time to be concerned when installing a sleeve about "disturbing" adjacent cylinders is if the plan is to try to stay with an existing size and no overbore is attempted? Otherwise it really doesn't matter.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Hass CNC Mill 11-2019.jpg (25.0 KB, 30 views)

Last edited by GOSFAST; 11-25-2019 at 02:48 PM. Reason: C
GOSFAST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2019, 01:57 PM   #24
Fordestes

What is a suitable sleeve retaining compound to use , I have a 59 block with two badly pitted ajacent cylinders I wanted to bore to 3 5/16, I already have some old stock sleeves from joblot with .090 wall, should I buy a 3 5/16 thin wall sleeve or just settle for .060 bore and save the 3 5/16 pistons for another time ? I don't want to weaken a nice block by boring into the water jackets
thanks, fordestes
Fordestes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2019, 02:16 PM   #25
Tim Ayers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordestes View Post
What is a suitable sleeve retaining compound to use , I have a 59 block with two badly pitted ajacent cylinders I wanted to bore to 3 5/16, I already have some old stock sleeves from joblot with .090 wall, should I buy a 3 5/16 thin wall sleeve or just settle for .060 bore and save the 3 5/16 pistons for another time ? I don't want to weaken a nice block by boring into the water jackets
thanks, fordestes
I would strongly suggest getting this block sonic AND pressure tested. There are a lot of myths out there. Depending on the condition of the water jackets, there could be plenty of meat left after going out to 3 5/16". Or, conversely, it will tell you there are some issues behind those pits.

Don't guess. Try to use whatever you can to make an informed and educated decision.
Tim Ayers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2019, 06:24 PM   #26
Mart

I just came in from the garage after running my boring bar for the first time. It seems to work quite well. Obviously I have no experience and nothing to compare it to but to me it seems pretty good. I will do some more tests and try to make sure I get a good correlation between the actual bore size and the size the setting tool tells me. I'm doing the tests on an otherwise scrap block so I can take a few more cuts without destroying anything of value.

Please bear in mind this is amateur stuff and with an old school boring bar. It's a British made "Buma" bar.
Mart is offline   Reply With Quote