Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-20-2015, 12:59 PM   #1
akroflyer

Default Cracked head

After removing the head on my 1930 coupe for a head gasket replacement I found the head was cracked thru the water jacket ports in line with the distributor hole. I went to a local model a parts supplier to buy a used head and 3 of the 4 he had were also cracked in the same place, this seems to be the weak spot in the head but I am wondering if the torque sequence in the Less Andrews book might also be the problem, It calls for starting in the center of the head and working out towards the ends. I'm thinking this might cause the ends to try to lift up causing the center to crack, When I retorque after running the engine I plan to torque the center bolt last not first. Any Thoughts? Thanks, Keith T.
akroflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2015, 01:29 PM   #2
Tom Wesenberg

Default Re: Cracked head

That's why it is so important to torque in at least 4 steps. I start by lightly snugging them, then go to 10 to 15 pounds torque, then 25, 35, 45 and then 55.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2015, 02:23 PM   #3
edmondclinton
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by akroflyer View Post
After removing the head on my 1930 coupe for a head gasket replacement I found the head was cracked thru the water jacket ports in line with the distributor hole. I went to a local model a parts supplier to buy a used head and 3 of the 4 he had were also cracked in the same place, this seems to be the weak spot in the head but I am wondering if the torque sequence in the Less Andrews book might also be the problem, It calls for starting in the center of the head and working out towards the ends. I'm thinking this might cause the ends to try to lift up causing the center to crack, When I retorque after running the engine I plan to torque the center bolt last not first. Any Thoughts? Thanks, Keith T.
Those heads you looked at were overheated at one time or another OR milled several times and are thinner plus a possible overheat at one time or another.

Torquing from the center out is the correct way to do it. It's sort of like smoothing out a table cloth.
edmondclinton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2015, 03:46 PM   #4
Ford1931

If you are talking about the two water holes in the middle of the head, almost all used heads are cracked there. It does not hurt them any, just run them. I think Ford just used the light casting between the holes to try and move more water to the back of the block.
Ford1931 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2015, 04:16 PM   #5
sethkestenbaum

Akroflyer,
I have a similar crack (which can be seen on my current blog post). I've heard lots of advice from "just replace it with a new one -- a more powerful one" to "ignore it" to "metal stitch it". I've opted for the latter with the hopes that my days of overheating have been eliminated. This all might explain why people kept telling me I needed "to get my head fixed".
Old 02-20-2015, 04:35 PM   #6
hardtimes

Hey Keith,
Lots of speculation is made from your crack description. IMO, your right that torqueing down a used head will cause cracks....if the surfaces are NOT flat when tightened ! New and/or used head, make sure that the mating surfaces are FLAT, then torque with several graduated increased until you achieve the maximum that you want. Same attention to torque detail after repeated heating cycling after running.
Also, your plan to weld/stitch will work, then flatten surface.
BTW, after cleaning everything good to eat off of, also check flatness of top of block. Good luck
hardtimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2015, 07:13 PM   #7
edmondclinton
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford1931 View Post
If you are talking about the two water holes in the middle of the head, almost all used heads are cracked there. It does not hurt them any, just run them. I think Ford just used the light casting between the holes to try and move more water to the back of the block.
Heads that have been overheated are frequently cracked there. That's the traditional place. It is also where the majority warp or become low when overheated.

Some people run them cracked there and get by with it but the area is weaker and is more prone to warpage than a head with no cracks.
Old 02-20-2015, 07:20 PM   #8
edmondclinton
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardtimes View Post
Hey Keith,
Lots of speculation is made from your crack description. IMO, your right that torqueing down a used head will cause cracks....if the surfaces are NOT flat when tightened ! New and/or used head, make sure that the mating surfaces are FLAT, then torque with several graduated increased until you achieve the maximum that you want. Same attention to torque detail after repeated heating cycling after running.
Also, your plan to weld/stitch will work, then flatten surface.
BTW, after cleaning everything good to eat off of, also check flatness of top of block. Good luck
I have never seen one crack just because it was not flat. The gasket is thick and it gives. They leak or blow gaskets when they are not flat enough.
Old 02-20-2015, 07:36 PM   #9
Kurt in NJ

My head has the crack that goes through the center water holes---and to the stud hole next to the dist, no problems from it --even with having it for over 40 years, same headgasket too--even though the head has been off 2 times ---yes, I reused the headgasket ---havn't touched it for over 25 years
Kurt in NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2015, 09:16 PM   #10
Tom Wesenberg

If this is the stock head with cracks, now would be a good time to buy the high compression head.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2015, 10:09 AM   #11
J and M Machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by akroflyer View Post
Typical problem for Model A engines is the head and block cracks.
These can be readily repaired and less expensive than purchasing a new head if you want to keep it stock.

Most all engines start bolt torque from the center and work their way out to the edges. Main thing to remember is to torque in steps and not all at once. You will also have to to do multiple retorques as that is the weakness of the copper head gasket. It has no resilience to keep a torque like modern style head gaskets of today, torque once and forget it.

As shown in the pictures common cracks we see in stock heads.

I would recommend you have the head cleaned and checked thoroughly as it may have other cracks as well.

www.jandm-machine.com
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1812.JPG (43.3 KB, 74 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5120.JPG (44.5 KB, 70 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5206.JPG (53.1 KB, 71 views)
J and M Machine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 12:35 AM   #12
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by edmondclinton View Post
Those heads you looked at were overheated at one time or another OR milled several times and are thinner plus a possible overheat at one time or another.
Ditto