Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-02-2015, 07:59 PM   #1
duke36

Default '31 Slant window door handle spring replacement

I've reviewed the informative posts about replacing/ repairing S/W town sedan
door latch mechanisms. The little S shaped spring that keeps ( I believe) 3 of the 4 door handles in the locking position is in need of replacement in possibly 2 of my doors. Can these be replaced without removing the window glass and regulators?
The windows, door latches at the jambs and the other related parts work great. I haven't removed the interior panel as of yet, hence the question.
The driver's door handle won't stay in the up, locked position and I don't want to disrupt anything else in the process. The front passenger door if I recall from the posts doesn't require a spring?
duke36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 08:09 PM   #2
burner31

Default Re: '31 Slant window door handle spring replacement

I also have a '31 slant, but I'm to new with model A's to give you a fer sure answer to this question.
I plan on re-doing all my doors this winter, window channels, latches, bumpers, seals, basicly everything with the doors.
Please take some pics and post us on your progress, it will help me out and countless others,
Thanks
burner31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 09:12 PM   #3
duke36

Congrat's on your new purchase; these are one of my favorite A's due to their solid construction, though some of the parts are not as easy to find as other models. Salvage as many orig. parts as possible and try to "restore" those if you can for fit and finish for your particular car. Many of the parts vendors do a great job with what they supply but sometimes a little trimming or tweaking is required here and there as noted in other's posts, especially when it comes to slant window doors.
Old 08-02-2015, 10:49 PM   #4
Bill Cilker

Within the last two years, Chuck Christensen wrote an article in the "Restorer" on this subject.
Victoria Association President
Bill Cilker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 05:47 AM   #5
Kevin in NJ

The door handles sag because of wear. You might want to see what I did:

Slant door latches

The dovetails are functional and have to work a certain way. A&L sell the proper parts and springs. Some of the repro springs are too stiff. The sliders MUST be able to slide with moderate finger pressure. If not then the door will not shut properly and eventually tear up the door dovetail.

The rubbers for the slant doors are not right. They are too big in every direction. If anyone has good solution I am all ears on what works.
Kevin in NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 07:44 AM   #6
Ford1931

When I did my slant window, I found that several 32 Ford rubber parts matched the original slant window rubber. As I recall the top trim insert, the bottom of the doors, and the door bumpers and some others. Take your old parts and compare them with the V8 vendors.
Ford1931 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 12:55 PM   #7
MrBruce

I've rebuilt most of mine and made new stickers? Don't know if that is a correct name for them. I was told early on that you could swap the door mechanism from drivers door to passengers rear. Well looks like you can except the passenger front door can't be switched because of the locking mechanism. So, I have to switch it back as the door locked just from shutting it and wouldn't open with the key. I broke the windshield trying to get in. Someone on the Barn has pictures of the mechanism and highlighted the tabs where the right front door was different because of the lock. Hope this helps. MrBruce
MrBruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 01:48 PM   #8
160B

Here is a photo of the mechanism, one missing a spring and one with a spring.

I removed mine when I replaced the door glass with safety glass about 12 years ago. I also replaced several springs. As I recall it would be very difficult to replace the spring without removing the mechanism form the door.

If you don't have time to do it right the 1st time, how do you have time to do it the 2nd time?
160B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 08:21 PM   #9
duke36

160b may have answered my initial question though thanks for the other inputs.
Fortunately I'm in good shape with the dovetails, rubbers,latches etc. My vague recollection from many years back is that the handle/lever mechanism can be unbolted and pivoted for access but can't remember if the glass was removed at the time or we stuffed cardboard there to protect it just to replace that nasty little spring.
Old 08-04-2015, 10:15 AM   #10
jw hash

NO one makes a good replacement spring. I have replaced over a 100 of them, and the last batch of springs I bought, there was NO spring to them. I buy every one of these springs t that I run into at swap meets. Bratton`s is the only one that has the correct shape springs, but there is no spring to them. all other venders that I have tried have the wrong shape to them.
jw hash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 12:52 PM   #11
duke36

I have a Licensed Ford repro spring A 46125, similar to that shown in 160B's right photo.
JW, are you saying these may not fit properly?
Old 08-04-2015, 06:22 PM   #12
Oldbluoval

My experience is same as John's
Spring will maybe "fit" but not enough torsion and they are softer metal so they lose shape and weaken
Oldbluoval is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 08:33 PM   #13
jw hash

rip, if you find some that are licensed and correct, let me know. the only ones that I have found that are 100 % correct shape are from Bratton`s and there is NO spring to them. all other venders that I have bought from, have the wrong shape spring . keep in mind that other Fords used a similar spring, but they are not correct.
jw hash is offline   Reply With Quote