Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-07-2015, 08:31 AM   #1
leadpot

Default Broken Lug Bolts

Rotating my tires yesterday. While tightening the lug nuts I broke one off on the front drivers side. Then one of the rears instead of tightening started rotating, guess the bolt has broken loose inside the drum. How do I replace these bolts? Looked in Snyders catalog at new bolts, says they need to be pressed into the drums with a "minimum" 40 ton hydraulic press, yikes.

Not sure if driving is safe at this point, makes me wonder about the condition of the rest of the studs. Any advice would sure be appreciated. Thanks Wayne,

Last edited by leadpot; 06-07-2015 at 10:59 AM.
leadpot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015, 08:56 AM   #2
mshmodela

Default Re: Broken Lug Bolts

I would image that with the loss of one you're taking a risk. Assuming the others are in good N tight...

Late 31' Ford Model A Tudor, Miss Daisy

I don't work on cars --I'm learning about my Model A.

Cleveland, Ohio
mshmodela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015, 09:08 AM   #3
Mitch//pa
BANNED

i always like to use a little anti seize on the threads.. that being said if the others went on and off good maybe you can get away with just fixing those 2... i have seen people drive with one lug missing without incident but would never recommend it.

Last edited by Mitch//pa; 06-07-2015 at 09:32 AM.
Mitch//pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015, 01:58 PM   #4
hardtimes

Hey leadpot,
You using a pneumatic impact wrench to tighten /break your lug bolts ?
I asked, as I can not envision a guy twisting off a good lug bolt, using a hand held lug wrench ! Was the snapped bolt showing signs of rust/cracking ?
IMO, the practice of using air impact wrenches....is dangerous for safety sake. I've seen guys twist lug bolts off , using these tools wrongly. Lately, I had to get a large breaker bar to loosen lug nuts (MAJOR efforts) on two of my vehicles after having tires rotated..no more of that, eh ! I've seen twisted off lug bolts...at the same tire/wheel shop. IMO, the guys observed using the HUGE air wrenches ...haven't a clue. A talk with the owner is in order. I like to make final tightening sequence with proper lug wrench.
Your question involves vehicle safety. I would not drive without all lug bolts/nuts on properly and in good condition.
hardtimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015, 02:27 PM   #5
Slowplane

not too long ago, a kid at the Firestone shop used an impact on the fake lugs on my factory Ford hubcaps. (he stopped after the first one, and the owner bought me a new hubcap). I haven't been back there since.
Slowplane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015, 03:12 PM   #6
Fred K-OR

I had a lug bolt loosen up on my old pickup before I made it into the huckster that I have now. To get the lug nut off that bolt I had to use a dremmel (sp) tool to cut it off. I used the saw type disk to split the nut and then was able to knock it off.

I then sent the hubs to Bert's and had them put new cast iron drums on them. Don't know if you need new drums, but it may be an opportunity to upgrade your hub/drums. Good luck.
Fred K-OR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015, 03:16 PM   #7
The Master Cylinder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slowplane View Post
not too long ago, a kid at the Firestone shop used an impact on the fake lugs on my factory Ford hubcaps. (he stopped after the first one, and the owner bought me a new hubcap). I haven't been back there since.
Too funny. I wonder how often that has happened tho

Enjoying life at the beach in SoCal...
The Master Cylinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015, 03:30 PM   #8
leadpot

Wasn't using an impact wrench. Was using the tire / crank tool that came with the car. What is the best Way to replace the bolts? I don't have ready access to a 40 ton press.
Old 06-07-2015, 03:46 PM   #9
pgerhardt

The model A lug bolts are "swaged" (cold riveted) in place. Go to this link to learn about the process: http://www.fordgarage.com/pages/swaging.htm

this does not seem like a DIY repair to me - that is unless you have a 50 ton press and the right tools in your garage.
pgerhardt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015, 03:52 PM   #10
Fred K-OR

Quote:
Originally Posted by leadpot View Post
Wasn't using an impact wrench. Was using the tire / crank tool that came with the car. What is the best Way to replace the bolts? I don't have ready access to a 40 ton press.
I too would recommend sending it out to have someone do it for you. Otherwise you may be back to where you are now at a future time. Also if you do, have one of the Model A vendors do it. See my post above.
Fred K-OR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015, 04:45 PM   #11
leadpot

Appreciate the advice. Looks like I'm going to have some down time just as the driving season got under way

Thanks again
Old 06-07-2015, 05:03 PM   #12
clo2jim

Last summer on one of my rear wheels on my 30 Roadster, I had an issue with a lug bolt that had been spot welded instead of swaged on where weld broke loose and just spun without becoming loose. Of course, the rear axle nut had been torqued to spec, and with the loose lug bolt and nut, we could not get the wheel off.

So I decided to use a trick that I use sometimes use to free up a wheel where the rust had "welded it on to the hub".

So with the Roadster, I tried a similar trick that I have used on my pick-up truck when the wheel gets stuck on the axle hub and I can remove the lug nuts but can not remove the wheel - just put the lug nuts on slightly loose and go for a drive - on the first corner the wheel will free itself and then the wheel can be removed easily.

Thus on the roadster,- I loosed the axle nut slightly (probably 1/8" gap - installed the cotter pin) and then went for a drive. It did not take too long for the hub to loosen up on the axle. So then we took the wheel and hub off together - put a couple of spot welds on the loose lug bolt and just removed the lug nut as normal. Wheel was removed from the hub and the lug bolt was fixed and I was on my way.
clo2jim is offline   Reply With Quote