Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-27-2022, 06:31 PM   #1221
sugarmaker

Default Re: 1932 The Deuce, Dually, Dump Truck

Gary, Ford Folks,
Your right on both. Trying to get some road salt and grime off the truck when I bring it inside. And the head, well the heated floor PEX runs against the drain. I was worried about the heat, so I was not able to use a wax ring. The bathroom is about 72 degrees all the time and is a wonderful thing indeed!
Now I just need to get to the building and get some work done! Being lazy. Temps are cold. Lots of ice on everything! Took the wife out to one of those fancy restaurants today for a steak dinner. She is the best!
Hope things are good in Ford Land!
Regards,
Chris
Lots of Allis tractors
Some Cub Cadets
sugarmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2022, 08:54 PM   #1222
GB SISSON

I just took my wife out to my son's wine bar. We sort of pretend we know the difference, but we keep a box of the generic stuff at home. His little brother works for me in the woodshop sucking in sawdust all day and my two daughters live in Seattle. Both have real jobs, like with benefits etc. Over rated.
Owner/Operator of 'Jailbar Ranch' on the side of Mt. Pickett. Current stable consists of 1946 1/2 ton pickup turned woodie wagon with FH V8, 1947 Tonner Pickup (red) mostly stock with exception of a cummins 6at turbo diesel, 1946 Tonner Pickup (green) with 226 cu in 6 cyl flathead, 1979 Toyota landcruiser wagon, completely encased in 1947 Ford Jailbar sheet metal. Ok, cornbinder rear fenders..... 'Rusty ol' floorboards, hot on their feet' (Alan Jackson)
GB SISSON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2022, 07:09 AM   #1223
sugarmaker

Gary,
You have a busy family. We also have two boys and two girls. All have good jobs and have there heads down grinding it out in life with families and every day duties.
We raise them up best we can and send them off into the world. Good feeling!
Today I will try to make several batches of Maple Mustard sauce.
We are two weeks away from our big Maple event, we call the Maple Taste and Tour. Patterned after wine tasting events in our area. Yes lots of vineyards just north of us 20 miles along the south shore Lake Erie. We will have 19 sugarhouses open to the public, free of charge, with maple snacks and products for sale. Most sugarhouse will have the evaporators running and filling the air with the sweet smells of maple syrup.
Check us out on www.pamaple.org
Regards,
Chris
Lots of Allis tractors
Some Cub Cadets
Old 02-28-2022, 06:21 PM   #1224
flatford8

Chris, we have a Maine Maple Syrup Sunday the 3rd Sun in March. Many sugar houses open to the public with pancakes and maple treats. Our temps are still very cold some nites and below freezing in the day so I don’t think the sap is running much........Mark
Billy Joe Shaver
flatford8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2022, 07:22 PM   #1225
sugarmaker

Mark,
good to hear from you! Was just wondering how Maine was doing getting ready for syrup season. Sounds a lot like NW PA too.
I was thinking I needed a dose of Billy Joe and that ragged ol' truck song also!
Regards,
Chris
Lots of Allis tractors
Some Cub Cadets
Old 03-05-2022, 07:08 AM   #1226
sugarmaker

Folks,
Did get the 32 out for a drive yesterday. She is leaking oil pretty bad from that rear engine area. I need to go through the steering also. Could use some tightening up!
Regards,
Chris
Lots of Allis tractors
Some Cub Cadets
Old 03-10-2022, 09:11 AM   #1227
corvette8n

Chris: Ya had to post pictures of Maple sugar candy, now I have to drive to Vermont to get my fix.(I’d visit you if you were closer). My Dad who was born and raised in Vermont said when he was a kid they used to throw the warm syrup on the snow to make candy.
corvette8n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2022, 02:47 PM   #1228
sugarmaker

Corvette,Folks,
Just made another batch of candy this morning. The sugar on snow is very good. Sometimes called "jackwax"! Need to heat the syrup to about 240 I think and drizzle it on fresh snow. Hardens into a taffy. Eat with dill pickles on the side.
Regards,
Chris
Lots of Allis tractors
Some Cub Cadets
Old 03-10-2022, 03:23 PM   #1229
DavidG

Sounds yummy, but without the pickles.
DavidG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2022, 12:37 AM   #1230
Tinker

You run that though a still you like have alcohol maybe even enough to run that 32.

Minnesota state fair, one of the huge seller is deep fried pickles. Well it's a state fair, they have fried butter sticks... holy heck.

Vinegar and sweet sounds good. Sweet and sour. Neat stuff!

One thing I know, is I don't know anything.

Last edited by Tinker; 03-11-2022 at 12:53 AM.
Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2022, 01:26 AM   #1231
outlaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidg View Post
sounds yummy, but without the pickles.
x-2
outlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2022, 08:10 AM   #1232
sugarmaker

Folks,
Well wish me luck. Going into our 19th Maple Chaos Weekend as my son Adam calls it. Will try to have fun and visit with family and friends over the next few days. I still have a pretty full day as we will be making more maple cream, attempting maple coated popcorn, maple cotton candy and maple peanut butter.
Last night we made another 10.5 gallons of Amber Rich syrup, bringing our total to 80 gallons. about at the normal mid season numbers. Weather will be the factor for the rest of the season. a week of warmer weather could shorten the typical 6 week season.
will get a couple pics for you.
Here is a clip making Maple crumb:
https://youtu.be/U-YwFB4_Ijk

Sorry this is way off Ford topic! But I will have the 32 on display for the public to view!
Regards,
Chris
Lots of Allis tractors
Some Cub Cadets
Old 03-11-2022, 08:40 AM   #1233
sugarmaker

Folks,
Maple candy:

Syrup, final bottling:

Maple cream production

Our son Adam on right and neighbor on left checking barometric pressure for accurate temp to make syrup at our elevation last night. High tech meets low tech/ old school and new age!

Regards,
Chris
Lots of Allis tractors
Some Cub Cadets
Old 03-12-2022, 01:52 PM   #1234
Bored&Stroked

Hey Chris - hope you've had a great weekend and thanks for sharing!
Bored&Stroked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2022, 07:23 PM   #1235
GB SISSON

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bored&Stroked View Post
Hey Chris - hope you've had a great weekend and thanks for sharing!
Yes Chris, the sharing ia very important to us other country folks that live miles away from the neighbors....
Owner/Operator of 'Jailbar Ranch' on the side of Mt. Pickett. Current stable consists of 1946 1/2 ton pickup turned woodie wagon with FH V8, 1947 Tonner Pickup (red) mostly stock with exception of a cummins 6at turbo diesel, 1946 Tonner Pickup (green) with 226 cu in 6 cyl flathead, 1979 Toyota landcruiser wagon, completely encased in 1947 Ford Jailbar sheet metal. Ok, cornbinder rear fenders..... 'Rusty ol' floorboards, hot on their feet' (Alan Jackson)
GB SISSON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2022, 07:28 PM   #1236
sugarmaker

Folks,
Weather was brutal cold, snow and high winds. And people still came to the sugarhouse and shop.
Here is our grandson Devin stoking the rig:

Steve Y. working the system:

Making maple cream:

Lots of folks came to see the 32 truck too!

Regards,
Chris
Lots of Allis tractors
Some Cub Cadets
Old 03-14-2022, 03:05 PM   #1237
sugarmaker

Folks,
Made it through the blizzard for the weekend of the maple event!
The Previous owner of the 32 brought me a picture of his Uncle drilling a water well with the 32 in the background. A awesome tie in to the story of the trucks history!

Regards,
Chris
Lots of Allis tractors
Some Cub Cadets
Old 03-19-2022, 06:23 PM   #1238
sugarmaker

Ford folks,
You can see the 32 truck in the lower right of this picture. Has about 6 milk cans in the bed, for hauling the water to the water well drilling rig. A wonderful local picture to help tell the story of this old work truck about 80 years ago!

Thanks to the previous owners for getting this picture made and delivering it also! Great folks!
Just noticed in this picture it did not have side boards on the bed or the cab protector. Those must have been added when he removed the bed from the 32 and put it on his 48 Ford truck to haul some gravel.

Syrup season is just about over. Have heard the peepers for two nights, one more night and the fat lady sings!
We did not hit our normal yearly goal of 150, but have about 130 gallons of syrup made.
Had a grand time with friends and family visiting through the season too.
Spring is almost here lets get ready to fire up the old Fords! I am looking forward to two Ford truck things. Taking the old engine out and trying to find why it is leaking oil so bad. And second getting the new machined block home and beginning work on that engine for the truck too!

Another project is to get the side boards completed and installed for the business. The truck is a advertising part of the Maple and Honey business.
Speaking of honey our daughters bees did not survive winter. She is seriously considering not replacing them this year. Humm might put us out of the honey business.

Regards,
Chris
Lots of Allis tractors
Some Cub Cadets
Old 03-19-2022, 09:35 PM   #1239
51504bat

Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarmaker View Post
Ford folks,
You can see the 32 truck in the lower right of this picture. Has about 6 milk cans in the bed, for hauling the water to the water well drilling rig. A wonderful local picture to help tell the story of this old work truck about 80 years ago!

Thanks to the previous owners for getting this picture made and delivering it also! Great folks!
Just noticed in this picture it did not have side boards on the bed or the cab protector. Those must have been added when he removed the bed from the 32 and put it on his 48 Ford truck to haul some gravel.

Syrup season is just about over. Have heard the peepers for two nights, one more night and the fat lady sings!
We did not hit our normal yearly goal of 150, but have about 130 gallons of syrup made.
Had a grand time with friends and family visiting through the season too.
Spring is almost here lets get ready to fire up the old Fords! I am looking forward to two Ford truck things. Taking the old engine out and trying to find why it is leaking oil so bad. And second getting the new machined block home and beginning work on that engine for the truck too!

Another project is to get the side boards completed and installed for the business. The truck is a advertising part of the Maple and Honey business.
Speaking of honey our daughters bees did not survive winter. She is seriously considering not replacing them this year. Humm might put us out of the honey business.

Regards,
Chris

Chris,
About the bees. My bee keeper left for college last fall but checked the hive for my orchard one last time. All the bees had died so he cleaned out the hive and left it as is. A couple of months later a new colony moved in. Not sure if they would staygiven the time of year but there is plenty of activity now that its warming up here in SoCal. Not sure how long they'll continue since I longer have anyone to tend the hive and at some point they will out grow the box. But in the meantime they are busy pollinating my citrus and stone fruit. Maybe with spring around the corner in PA a new colony will move in like happened to me.
Tim
Old 03-20-2022, 04:13 PM   #1240
sugarmaker

Tim,
Have to get the boxes of bees torn down and remove the honey. We have had a new colony move in but usually much later in the spring. I like catching swarms.
Regards,
Chris
Lots of Allis tractors
Some Cub Cadets