Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-27-2021, 11:20 AM   #721
cas3

Default Re: 1932 The Deuce, Dually, Dump Truck

never seen a signal switch like that before, but I really like it ! Any brand name on it ?
cas3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2021, 12:56 PM   #722
sugarmaker

Bob,
Thanks for the air system links. I looked at one they make the design look real simple with no doors or windows!

Cas,
Good, were are still talking! I think I will take this switch off the column and see what the guts look like.

Doing prep work and getting lights ready for electrical work in the shop Friday. Yippee!
Taking the dimmer wires out of these LED's and getting them ready for Nic to install.

Moving the lights back down from storage in the loft area with the Allis-Chalmers F40 fork lift. The good news is it just reaches the loft floor level. A coincidence? I dont think so!

I got my care package from Snyder's today too. I can continue to make improvements to the truck too. Maybe get that distributor rebushed??

Regards,
Chris
Lots of Allis tractors
Some Cub Cadets
sugarmaker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2021, 02:40 PM   #723
rufus39

I gotta say, that shop of yours is looking great. I too have thoroughly enjoyed your posts and pics , both on the shop and the truck. Good luck with sorting out the engine miss.
rufus39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2021, 09:12 PM   #724
sugarmaker

Rufus, Folks,
Thanks for the comments. The great grandson and I are going to try to work on more light prep work for his dad on Friday. I have shuffled a lot of toys in the shop to make room to get the scaffold moved around to finish lights and fans in the high bay area. When done there will be 112 linear feet of LED lights hugging the reflective ceiling in that area. Each of the other low bay rooms will get about 40 linear feet of the same. Should be well lit.

On the truck I was able to push out the old distributor bushings and insert the new ones. A new friend Mic F. Stopped in and he will machine the bushings to be in alignment with the housing. This just takes a variable out of the equation. I will be pleasantly surprised if this solves all the engine issues.

I marked and pulled the turn signal off the steering column. Still more to evaluate on that. Not sure how it worked. Flasher was no where to be found. Have pictures will try to get them loaded up. Here you go:

I got a new coil mounting bracket and moved the coil to the engine side of the cowl. I just could not seem to get under the dash to mount it there. This will be easier while I trouble shoot things.

Speaking of shooting things. We saw a nice buck behind the house tonight at dusk. Might have to spend some time in the woods too!

Thanks for checking in on me!
Got to get some rest tomorrow is going to be a big day!

Regards,
Chris
Lots of Allis tractors
Some Cub Cadets
Old 10-28-2021, 12:32 AM   #725
cas3

That is really a cool light switch. I am kind of a light junky, have several different types of old signal switches, but never have seen that model before. No name on it ?
Old 10-28-2021, 06:47 AM   #726
sugarmaker

Cas3,
There is a patent number on it. Would this be able to some how work with modern flasher?
It does have kind of a neat factor if the handle was not broken it would be a little nicer. I did not see a name, but it did not get any cleaning done on the area where the patent is.
Regards,
Chris
Lots of Allis tractors
Some Cub Cadets
Old 10-28-2021, 09:56 AM   #727
Bored&Stroked

There is no reason it would not work with a modern flasher . . . it appears that it is just an "on/off" switch for the left or right light circuits.
Bored&Stroked is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2021, 12:46 PM   #728
sugarmaker

Dale,
It has a mini coil and contacts like a voltage regulator might have. Could this be the flasher part of the system? Or maybe I didnt find the external flasher yet./ Not easy for this old guy to crawl under the dash in the truck!

Ford folks,
Cooper was helping today:

Seperate but related, I have two different headlight lens. One has glass tabs that stick out and three springs go over them and under the lip of the outer ring. But the other has three glass indentations. Anyone have a idea about clips for these? Front of the lenses look the same with same script. The clips look like it should be similar to how small cowl lights are held in place.
I May try to bend some of the other type clips to hold this lens. Will prototype that soon.

Moving stuff out of the shop to be ready to add lights tomorrow. Also have two fans to add. but not sure I need them? I did a thermal check today for the first time. Thermostat is set at 67. Floor was 68, ceiling at 15 feet up was 66. Humm? I thought I would be very warm up there, and it was not. Maybe loosing heat or just the way its going to be with heat in the floor?? All new to me.

Should have the reworked distributor/ bushings back this afternoon. Plan to assemble it and do a test. Have to run a new power wire to the on-off switch. I am getting some power through the old ammeter. Not sure if that is causing a running problem??

Regards,
Chris
Lots of Allis tractors
Some Cub Cadets
Old 10-28-2021, 01:39 PM   #729
cas3

I went searching for your unique signal switch, found only one for parts out of 250 ebay listings. A rare thing, https://www.ebay.com/itm/27471794701...7.m2042I'm intrigued !
Old 10-28-2021, 01:43 PM   #730
Bored&Stroked

If it has some sort of "coil" in it, then maybe that is really a sort of mini-solenoid - that drives the on/off of some contacts . . . creating a "flasher". That would be my guess - why else would it have one? See if there is a movable contact that the coil drives.
Old 10-28-2021, 01:58 PM   #731
Ideucev8

Your Headlight lens with the indentations is a 33/34 lens. just bend up some clips to suit.
Phil.
Ideucev8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2021, 04:19 PM   #732
tubman

Perhaps, given the "arrow" turn signals that are on the truck. "blinking" was considered unnecessary when this unit was marketed. For a taillight, or perhaps just a round auxiliary light, blinking would be necessary, but a constantly on "arrow" might have been considered adequate.

Just a guess.
tubman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2021, 05:34 PM   #733
sugarmaker

Folks,
All great comments!
I have a cousin that may be able to make this old turn signal work? The coil in this unit has points on it.
Thanks on the 34 headline glass. I will work on some prototype clips.
Friend Mic F. brought the reamed distributor housing back today. We installed it. Almost zero slop now. Does it run better? Maybe a little. I need to adjust the timing again. It's not starting as easy. So that would be advanced a little too much.
We took the truck down the road and it stopped. Seems the fuel line was plugged again. Opened that and we we moving again. Rhett and Cooper wanted rides too! A good day!
Regards,.
Chris
Lots of Allis tractors
Some Cub Cadets
Old 10-28-2021, 06:16 PM   #734
flatford8

Chris, I used the RapidAir flex system in my shop. My area is much smaller than yours, with three drops and one to feed my tire machine. I thought for the money and easy installation it was a good way to go.
It looks like you got a couple of fine little helpers there!!........Mark
Billy Joe Shaver
flatford8 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2021, 09:48 PM   #735
sugarmaker

Mark,
Good suggestion I may check them out. I use air almost every day in the shop. I would like a couple drops in each room. Maybe over kill??
The boys wanted to go for a ride:

Some day I may actually scrub this old truck? But it looks more like that ragged ol' truck Billy joe may have been singing about!

I retimed the truck several times again. set the rotor. It seems to run much better. Haven't taken it out on the road. Idle is much better, slower. Throttle response seems better. Sure did not hurt it with the new distributor bushings reamed to .501 inch dia.

Bent 32 headlight lens, spring clips to fit the 34 lens.

One step closer. Now I have decided I should have parking lights in the headlight area also. So I will shop for some newer bulb holders too:

My views hunting tonight:

No deer just maples:

Regards,
Chris
Lots of Allis tractors
Some Cub Cadets
Old 10-28-2021, 10:01 PM   #736
sugarmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bored&Stroked View Post
If it has some sort of "coil" in it, then maybe that is really a sort of mini-solenoid - that drives the on/off of some contacts . . . creating a "flasher". That would be my guess - why else would it have one? See if there is a movable contact that the coil drives.
Dale,
By movable contact do you mean a up and down contact? It has like a set of points that do have direct connection to the light bulb. If you keep on me I might even get some close up of that.
Contacted the guy cas3 gave the link to. maybe a lead for a handle??
Regards,
Chris
Lots of Allis tractors
Some Cub Cadets
Old 10-29-2021, 06:10 AM   #737
Bored&Stroked

Yes - there has to be a reason to have an electronic coil in it . . . and the fact that it has a set of "points" means it probably performed it's own "flasher" function.

Now something to think about is that you've converted over to 12V. Even if the unit could be rebuilt, my guess is that it will not operate at 12V the same way it did at 6V. Will it work . . . maybe . . . will it work the same, probably not. Will 12V hurt it? No Clue . . .
Old 10-29-2021, 06:12 AM   #738
Bored&Stroked

Also, from looking at the pics - it had to be a flasher and it "flashed" the bulb in the unit while it was doing it's magic . . .
Old 10-29-2021, 07:38 AM   #739
sugarmaker

Dale,
Folks,
Yes me not being a electrician at all, it makes my head spin or my eyes roll back in my head!
This turn signal unit is cool for sure, but is going to take some electrical smarts to have it function, and on 12 volt too.

Today we work on shop electrical! Again Not my cup of tea I will just be the ground man, as Grandson Nic the Master electrician does his magic with wires and 110 volts. About like Christmas morning!

I need some words on the oil leak at the back of the engine every time I shut it down. i don't like that at all. I could tolerate a drip or too. But had a puddle the size of a dinner plate last night. Did I screw up and not get the down pipe from the rear main long enough? Someone said it should be down submerged in the oil in the pan. Also heard that they all leak like this. That doesn't make sense to Ford to send a vehicle out like this from the factory so I think I did something wrong? Any clues, or examples from other B engine guys?

Off to see the wizard! Thanks for checking on me.
Regards,
Chris
Lots of Allis tractors
Some Cub Cadets
Old 10-29-2021, 10:08 AM   #740
Bob C

Vince's site shows the rear main oil return pipe to be 4 3/16" long.
http://www.fordgarage.com/pages/rearmainbearingcaps.htm
To much crankshaft end play will also cause oil leak.
Bob C is online now   Reply With Quote