Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-17-2019, 01:55 PM   #1
Ron Pilger

Default advertising to sell, but doesn't seem to want to sell????

A fellow is advertising on both the HAMB and Fordbarn to sell a 36 Ford air cleaner. Ironically, i could use that particular item. The price is reasonable. The pictures show the product(s) well. I have sent both personal messages and made a phone call to the seller attempting to conclude a deal. I can't get any response back. It's not a hill to die on, there are surely other decent 36 Ford air cleaners that will pop up. I've had this experience when responding to the odd other ad for parts and other consumer products. It's odd to me? Why bother posting stuff for sale in the first place, if it's not really for sale? 'Just testing the market? Some sort of "can't let go of stuff issue"? It's perplexing to me.
Ron Pilger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 02:20 PM   #2
19Fordy

Default Re: advertising to sell, but doesn't seem to want to sell????

I think some oddballs just enjoy knowing they have something someone else wants.
It's kind of like owning a "some day" car that they know they will never work on.
19Fordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 02:29 PM   #3
Fordestes

send me a pic of the air cleaner you are needing , I have a couple of nice ones , I am not married to any of this stuff. I think these are around the 1936 year not sure.
Fordestes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 03:47 PM   #4
ford38v8

The import tax issue can complicate any shipment to Canada. I have a friend who was stuck at Customs for a whole day while they pored through all his swapmeet items going into Canada. Perhaps your advertiser and the others you mentioned are wary of international sales.
Old 10-17-2019, 05:49 PM   #5
V8COOPMAN

Then, there's the opposite sort of goofball. I had a guy (a registered 'Barn member since 2010, but with only 5 posts to his name) send me a PM out of the blue wanting to know if I had any interest in selling a Weiand 2X2 hi-rise manifold which I had made mention of on the forum several years back. Supposedly, it was to go on a friend's '36 Cabriolet I believe. After quite a few PMs back and forth, me e-mailing him a bunch of pics, and him enthusiastically agreeing to my price, we finally arrived at the time that he (they) were to put a pre-agreed upon $1,000 US Postal M/O plus a personal check for $150 (another $100 for the remainder of the manifold plus $50 for shipping). Then he wants to know if I'll take a company check from his friend's business for the full amount. I politely answered "No", because I made it very clear initially that we were going to go the PO money order route for the first grand, and that I'd trust a personal check for the rest. Well, suffice it to say that the deadbeat never did reply for over a week. I finally e-mailed him back that "we were done" with this transaction! Any of you folks that have paid attention to anything that I have ever written should know that I'm pretty concise when I explain my version of a process or procedure...my payment expectations were made clear early-on. I've been a "buyer" in this hobby for years but NEVER a seller. I'd have a hard time putting-up with a bunch of these schizoidal, moronic-losers with pen-pal tendencies on a regular basis. DD

'35-'36 W/8BA & MECHANICAL FAN

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
V8COOPMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 06:01 PM   #6
Ron Pilger

Generally speaking, shipping antique auto parts across the Canada/U.S. border is not difficult. One extra form to accurately complete. The bigger issue is currency exchange rate fluctuations; also not a big or insurmountably issue at all. 'A mute point in this particular for sale ad, for the air cleaner, for certain. Post 3 above did make me think back twenty years, however, when i had a truck and trailer load of "good stuff" to take down to the Portland swap meet from Alberta. The U.S. agent stopped me at the border for about five hours as the rule book states that a Canadian cannot sell goods for profit in the U.S. I needed to hire a person, with U.S. citizenship, to be my sales agent at the swap meet, otherwise i would be taking away an American's job. I had to get hold of the swap meet organizers who agreed to "represent me" on a commission basis for the weekend. He was the only person allowed to do the negotiations on anything I brought down, according to the letter of the law. Geez! it all worked out nicely in the end. but the two and one-half day drive meant we got in just about in time to start setting up morning 1.
Ron Pilger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 09:18 PM   #7
cas3

two weeks ago i sent a pm to two different folks on the hamb adds, one had no price, the other said make offer. one i asked the price, the other i made an offer...no response yet from either !
cas3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2019, 08:44 AM   #8
uncle buck

Quote:
Originally Posted by cas3 View Post
two weeks ago i sent a pm to two different folks on the hamb adds, one had no price, the other said make offer. one i asked the price, the other i made an offer...no response yet from either !

The part I like is both here and on the H.A.M.B. the rules clearly state everything must be priced in the ad
uncle buck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2019, 06:36 AM   #9
aussie merc

aint nothing new here love the ones that just go quiet and appear to drop dead and dont have the common courtesy to reply to a PM ok so you cant agree to a price thats life still doesn't excuse them for being just plain RUDE and arrogant
aussie merc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2019, 10:24 AM   #10
big job

some peoples children; after I retired, I worked for a by poler crackpot for 10 yrs asphalt paving the yelling screaming throwing shovels at the help guess what, call wife left truck
running and never looked back 8 yrs ago:
big job is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2019, 11:19 AM   #11
ronn

I gave up shipping stuff to Canada and Down Under long ago.

shipping costs are horrendous and have had a few Canadians very tight on the leash with the shipping.
so why bother? easier to sell stateside...... may seem rude, but its fact.
ronn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 08:28 AM   #12
aussie merc

yeh you dont have to tell me about shipping im paying it but it still dosent excuess the earth shattering silence
aussie merc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 10:10 AM   #13
TJ

I've sold stuff to both Australia, New Zealand and England and never had a problem. Yes shipping is high, but I found there are options to save guys some money. Why refuse to sell parts to guys who are willing to pay the shipping? We are all in this hobby together and to help each other.
TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 12:34 PM   #14
cas3

i too have sold parts around the globe. you just have to fill out a customs form, not a big deal
Old 10-21-2019, 04:03 PM   #15
Ziggster

Quote:
Originally Posted by ford38v8 View Post
The import tax issue can complicate any shipment to Canada. I have a friend who was stuck at Customs for a whole day while they pored through all his swapmeet items going into Canada. Perhaps your advertiser and the others you mentioned are wary of international sales.
Lol. I was worried about this when crossing back into Canada after attending Hershey. Some vendors have me a "receipt" using their business card. Luckily, I told him (customs agent) where I was and how much I spent, and he just waved me through. For other stuff I purchase via on-line, I'm close enough to the border to have stuff shipped to myusaddress.ca, and pick it up in Ogdensburg, NY.
Ziggster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 08:05 PM   #16
Tinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggster View Post
Lol. I was worried about this when crossing back into Canada after attending Hershey. Some vendors have me a "receipt" using their business card. Luckily, I told him (customs agent) where I was and how much I spent, and he just waved me through. For other stuff I purchase via on-line, I'm close enough to the border to have stuff shipped to myusaddress.ca, and pick it up in Ogdensburg, NY.

Think those guys on you border are more worried about fresh bait in water being driven over, then parts. If you've fished in Canada from the states it'll make sense. (transporting plants and bacteria)
Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 08:26 PM   #17
Newc

Well; we had a fellow with two nice Mustangs at Portland Swap, with super high prices. told his wife that "he would try to sell them". Sure..... Gee, he got to take them back home! Sorry honey, I tried. newc
Newc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2019, 07:29 PM   #18
Kube

I had emailed a fellow from the Early Ford Club site with a couple of specific questions in regard to a set of supposed '39 shocks he had for sale.
It's been a number of days and still no response.
I don't believe this is due to he doesn't want to sell. Lazy? Ignorant? All of the above?

There was guy on the same site over a month ago with a hot air heater part. Same thing - zero response after two or three emails.

I tend to chalk these types off of my list of guys I will deal with. Even if the part is already sold, it takes very little effort to respond as such.
Old 10-28-2019, 07:40 PM   #19
cas3

i totally agree. i never heard from the two in my post, been near a month now. probably sold at Hershey, but an email would have been nice. i do not write back a second time
Old 10-29-2019, 10:06 AM   #20
HOTRODPRIMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Pilger View Post
A fellow is advertising on both the HAMB and Fordbarn to sell a 36 Ford air cleaner. Ironically, i could use that particular item. The price is reasonable. The pictures show the product(s) well. I have sent both personal messages and made a phone call to the seller attempting to conclude a deal. I can't get any response back. It's not a hill to die on, there are surely other decent 36 Ford air cleaners that will pop up. I've had this experience when responding to the odd other ad for parts and other consumer products. It's odd to me? Why bother posting stuff for sale in the first place, if it's not really for sale? 'Just testing the market? Some sort of "can't let go of stuff issue"? It's perplexing to me.

I am the administrator on the '54 Ford Club of America site and we too have a classified section, often the advertiser has sold the item and never bothered to mark the item sold or to let me know where I can delete the advertisement.

Unlike the Hamb & the Ford Barn there are thousands of ads and I would think darn near impossible for the administration or moderators to stay on top of all of them.

We have a 3 month limit with a ad unless we are notified then it runs another 3 months, that way you wont find a advertisement from 5 years ago. HRP