Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-07-2019, 03:50 PM   #1
Werner

Default Wooven or molded?

Guten Abend,
please tell me, what is the difference between "wooven" and "molded" for brake pads? Which surface is softer / brakes better? (My car has wooven.)
Thank you for answers in advance.

Ford Model A, Roadster, 1928
Citroen 11 CV, 1947
Hercules W 2000, 1976; (with NSU-Wankel Rotary Engine), Canadian version
Werner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 06:08 PM   #2
Synchro909

Default Re: Wooven or molded?

As far as I know, woven linings brake better but can't be used in some cast iron drums. Some are OK, others not. They are OK in steel drums.
I'm sure others with more knowledge in this area will chime in.
Old 05-07-2019, 09:17 PM   #3
CWPASADENA

Originally, Ford used Woven Linings on the Model A. Ford continued to use woven linings up into the late '30's and may be until the start of the war.

Woven linings are softer with a higher coefficient of friction than molded linings which results in less pedal force required for the same stopping effort.

In the old days, molded linings were a lot softer. One reason is that the molded linings contained asbestos which can not be used today.

Most of the molded linings available today are very hard.

Ford used woven linings with steel and cast iron drums.

I have used woven linings with both steel and case iron drums with good success.

I have not been able to find out why some people say woven linings can not be used with cast iron drums.

Anyway, this is just my opinion.

Chris W.
CWPASADENA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 09:57 PM   #4
Purdy Swoft

I have also used woven lining with both steel and cast iron drums with good results . I actually prefer woven lining .
Purdy Swoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 11:05 AM   #5
Werner

Pretty much thanks for the detailed and practical hints. I will take adhesive wooven brake pads.

Although in the past I used to rivet my pads all by hand on my 11 CV. Sometimes they were too loose or broke a corner away. Therefore, it is easier to let bond it outside the home by a professional factory.

Many thanks to the forum for help!

Citroen 11 CV, 1947
Old 05-08-2019, 07:09 PM   #6
CWPASADENA

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
I would consider using riveted woven linings, not bonded woven lining.

I have seen woven linings that were bonded and it appeared the bonding agent was seeping up through the woven lining and would come in contact with the drums. I do not think this would be a good situation.

Bert's Model A in Colorado can supply you with shoes that have riveted woven linings installed if you do not want to have it done locally or do it yourself.

Just my suggestion,

Chris W.

Last edited by CWPASADENA; 05-08-2019 at 07:10 PM. Reason: CLARIFICATION
CWPASADENA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 08:00 PM   #7
Synchro909

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWPASADENA View Post
I would consider using riveted woven linings, not bonded woven lining.

I have seen woven linings that were bonded and it appeared the bonding agent was seeping up through the woven lining and would come in contact with the drums. I do not think this would be a good situation.

Bert's Model A in Colorado can supply you with shoes that have riveted woven linings installed if you do not want to have it done locally or do it yourself.

Just my suggestion,

Chris W.
My experience is the same. I've always put it down to the bonding process making for a harder lining which may be as a result of the "glue" seeping through as you say.
Old 05-08-2019, 08:45 PM   #8
larrys40

Whatever it’s worth I do lots of Model A brake jobs and I have moved away from woven lining as the molded lining works better and is more compatible with the cast iron drums.
I was having issues with the woven lining squeaking with the cast irons. One of the lining manufacturers had told me the resin that is used with the woven lining is what is causing the squeaking. I’m well aware of the other issues that can cause that but they weren’t the problem. Switch to molded lining either bonded or riveted and problem solved .

I always arc shoes to fit drums and once all is restored and adjusted and dialed in you can stop on a dime .
Done with woven linings for sure.
Larry shepard
larrys40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 09:16 PM   #9
Tom Wesenberg

I agree with # 3, 4, and 6.
I've had molded linings come loose on some newer cars that set unused for months.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 10:40 PM   #10
larrys40

With all due respect I’ve seen lots of woven linings cracked and broken. I have done lots of brake jobs on A’s and base my comments on my most recent experience and the fact that modern vehicles use the same and similar materials for shoes as well as trucks. I don’t believe but could be wrong that no modern vehicle that uses cast iron drums uses woven linings. Compared to the cast iron drums of your choice I think you are kidding yourselves to think that steel drums are equlal in performance to the new cast irons of your choice.
There’s nothing wrong with bonded linings either.
In fact you have a great holding power of the linings and longer life to them.

I would challenge those to try to remove the lining off bonded shoe, you can’t hardly chisel it off. the resin used to make the composite of the woven lining hold together is probably what some see. The woven lining today is not what it use to be. I know for a fact that Some major A suppliers have changed and added molded linings due to problems with the woven linings.

Of course we all have our “opinions “ but I base that on my experience. I have done over 10 A brake jobs this year. Have not had any issues from molded lining but can’t say that about woven linings anymore.
I only add my experience to advise the OP that there are other alternatives to the woven linings and that there can be issues with them.

Larry
larrys40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2019, 12:02 PM   #11
Werner

Ouch, what a difficult decision! Rivets are disadvantageous, as I said. Industrial grade bonding is safe when done right.

I can not judge woven or pressed rubbers. A lot has changed in the brake shoe material mixture, which is no longer compatible with "at that time". The first asbestos-free pads slowed down in my experience worse. But good lining-mixes have been developed that allow a compromise with the original material of the drums.

Steel or cast iron probably also need other brake lining properties. Again, there will be good compromises.

I will continue to pursue the discussions before I buy now. It does not crowd, the pads are still thick, they scream only extremely, probably because they have aged hard.

Thank you for your comments!

Citroen 11 CV, 1947
Old 05-12-2019, 07:37 AM   #12
RonC

For those who don't know, asbestos is NOT BANNED from use in automotive brakes, clutches, transmissions and even gaskets. It was banned for about 2 years but has been legal for use again since 1991. Follow safe handling practices when working with the dust from those types of components.
RonC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 09:05 AM   #13

I would call Randy over at Mel Gross for any brake parts-714-292-8660, great customer service, ask others here.
1929 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 11:17 AM   #14
Purdy Swoft

If I was using Randys drums , I would use the brake lining that he recommends . I prefer woven lining with steel drums or older cast iron drums . There is more than one type of cast drums .
Purdy Swoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 01:49 PM   #15
Tom Wesenberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonC View Post
For those who don't know, asbestos is NOT BANNED from use in automotive brakes, clutches, transmissions and even gaskets. It was banned for about 2 years but has been legal for use again since 1991. Follow safe handling practices when working with the dust from those types of components.
Well, that's good news!
Now, if we can get them to ban corn crap gas, we'll have fewer car fires and better fuel economy.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 02:39 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Wesenberg View Post
Well, that's good news!
Now, if we can get them to ban corn crap gas, we'll have fewer car fires and better fuel economy.
That's not all it does Tom, there have been many issues with garden equipment too, if you use 87 or lower, they will void the warranty on my leaf blower.
1929 is offline   Reply With Quote